The Brave One - minor spoilers

This is a discussion on The Brave One - minor spoilers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Rented “The Brave One” last night which stars Jodie Foster. It’s basically a remake of the “Death Wish” storyline, but done far better than the ...

Thread: The Brave One - minor spoilers

The Brave One - minor spoilers

Rented “The Brave One” last night which stars Jodie Foster. It’s basically a remake of the “Death Wish” storyline, but done far better than the original.

Jodie Foster plays a local radio personality in NYC. One night , she and her fiancée are walking their dog when they are attacked by a group of thugs. Her fiancée is murdered and she is left for dead. She eventually recovers and then over the next weeks and months evolves from someone who is afraid to leave her apartment, into a person who actively goes hunting street scum.

Unlike the Charles Bronson character who goes though the movie with almost robot like behavior, the Foster character is desperately trying to stop what is happen to herself, but yet can’t stop herself from killing. She asks herself questions like “Why don’t I feel remorse?”, “Why aren’t my hands shaking?”, “What have I become?”. Eventually she realize that 60 seconds of violence not only changed her life, but also changed her. It changed her perspective, her values, her view of the world. There's that old joke, "What do you call a new conservative?. . . . A liberal who just got mugged." This movie is a very serious look at that premise.

In one interesting scene early on Foster’s character heads into a gun store to buy a pistol, only to be confronted by the “First you need a license from the city. Once you bring us a copy of the license, there is a 30 day waiting period. . bla. . . bla. . . bla”. Five minutes after leaving the store she buys a Kahr 9mm from a guy on the street for $1,000. .

Over all it is a far better, far more interesting movie than the “Death Wish” original., with absolutely ZERO anti gun content. As you watch Foster evolve from happy yuppie, to victim, to an agoraphobic, to reactive shooter, and finally to a proactive hunter of humans, you can’t help but ask yourself, “What would I do if I was left for dead after seeing my family murdered?”

Warning!! This movie is NOT for children. It is GRAPHICALLY violent. Especially when Foster’s character and her fiancée are beaten by the street thugs.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I watched it last weekend. It was ok, but not quite enough action and a little too much slow drama for me. It was worth watching, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in a theater.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

yeah.. i rented it. it was ok. nothing to write home about. some major cheesey parts...lol
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I liked deathwish far more.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I liked Death Wish also, but this one (The Brave One) wasn't bad either. Also I must take issue with those saying she became a "vigilante" in the movie. ALL the shootings she did were pure self-defense (and she was NOT frequenting bad areas to find bad guys). Exception: toward the end, she went after the ones who had put her in the hospital and stole her dog. She shot one in the head, saying "I want my dog back" (that was cool to watch, if illegal). She basically executed these guys. Now that wasn't right, but the ones up to that point were just plain self-defense. Good show to watch, I didn't mind spending money renting it (note, I almost NEVER actually go to the theater. If something looks good to watch, waiting a month or 2 for it to show up for rent is nothing.)
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I watched this movie last night. I liked it. I belong to the Clay Allison school of thought, "I never kilt nobody who didn't need killin'." Jodie's character was likewise from that school. In that sense, they were all righteous killings. And on a deeper and more personal level, every person who choses to go armed has likewise embraced the idea that he/she is willing to be judge, jury, and executioner.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Ummm...not anti? Huh?!?

So the woman is beaten, watches her significant other die, buys a gun and starts popping criminals off like a psycho after all but baiting them into conflict with her doesn't seem a bit on the "anyone who goes through this can do this too, y'know..." side? Her character is portrayed, as mentioned by Foster herself, as a woman put through a very bad situation and becomes twisted by her experience and goes off the deep end.

Sorry, but portraying a person who carries a firearm after this experience this way might not the hysterical "Think of the children!" anti-gun you're used to, but it's far from "Pro-gun"...

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Ummm...not anti? Huh?!?

So the woman is beaten, watches her significant other die, buys a gun and starts popping criminals off like a psycho after all but baiting them into conflict with her doesn't seem a bit on the "anyone who goes through this can do this too, y'know..." side? Her character is portrayed, as mentioned by Foster herself, as a woman put through a very bad situation and becomes twisted by her experience and goes off the deep end.

Sorry, but portraying a person who carries a firearm after this experience this way might not the hysterical "Think of the children!" anti-gun you're used to, but it's far from "Pro-gun"...
    Not to mention that she came out very anti during an interview after release of the movie.

Asimple case of Doing anything for money even if it goes against ones proported beliefs. I boycott all Jodie's movies.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I was curious so I watched it.

The gun she buys is very important. She buys a Kahr K9 -- a single stack, 7+1 9mm pistol designed to be carried concealed.

The action starts out with her carrying the gun to defend herself. She does. Next, she defends herself again and then shoots a second BG who was unarmed. She goes on to seek out danger, in order to shoot more people, and the movie ends with her on a vigilante murder spree.

Simple message: Carrying guns leads to an addiction to vigilante justice. Side plot. Even good cops will help you murder criminals and cover your tracks.

Overall, boring, lack of character development, nothing new. Two stars.

OMO

ETA: Freedom Doc, I guess you missed the scenes where she knowingly got into the car with the perv begging for trouble, and where she hunted down that guy the cop said was a bad guy. She confronted him with the intention of starting a fight and ended up putting a crow bar in his head. VIGILANTE.

The Scene In The Subway

I have seen the trailers and promos for this movie. What interested me most - I was working at JFK in NYC at the time - was the scene on the subway (I took one to/from my apartment).

Being a Floridian, I wondered if the chain of events fit the model here.

• She was sitting on the car alone.
    • The two thugs got on.
    • Thugs advanced on her.
    • Thugs showed a weapon (knife).
    • Thugs indicated the possibility of death or serious bodily injury.
    • She stopped both threats.

Is that the way it went down?
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    We went the first weekend it came out.Good movie.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Being a Floridian, I wondered if the chain of events fit the model here.

• She was sitting on the car alone.
    • The two thugs got on.
    • Thugs advanced on her.
    • Thugs showed a weapon (knife).
    • Thugs indicated the possibility of death or serious bodily injury.
    • She stopped both threats.

Is that the way it went down?
    Two thugs are thugging around / bothering people and notice her giving them the stink eye. They take the challenge, advance, one dabbles with a knife, says stupid stuff and she shoots them both. So, you pretty much guessed it.

Links