Anyone live in Birmingham? Talk to me!

This is a discussion on Anyone live in Birmingham? Talk to me! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, it is possible, although this is very, very preliminary at this point, that we could be moving to the Birmingham area. I talked to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone live in Birmingham? Talk to me!

Anyone live in Birmingham? Talk to me!

So, it is possible, although this is very, very preliminary at this point, that we could be moving to the Birmingham area. I talked to a potential employer this morning, and here is the part that makes me believe they really want me, besides the fact that they told me that they are very interested in me, is the fact that I only submitted my resume last night. They called less than 14 hours after I submitted my resume.

Anyway, for anyone who lives in the Birmingham Alabama area, what are good suburbs to live in, what are ones to avoid, where are the good public schools, where are the bad ones (it will be public schools, can't afford to send the 5 kids to private unfortunately)?

Any other advice you may have about the Birmingham area would be much appreciated. Anything at all.

Sure would be nice to be able to go out to eat at a nice place and still be able to carry.

Mike
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Can't help you with the details, but my sister lives there (in optometry school at UAB). I would move there in almost an instant. It was a really nice city. I liked northern Alabama quite a bit.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Mike, take a look at a map and go south from B'ham on I65 until you get to Clanton, AL. My daughter teaches English at Chilton County High School. It is one of the best public schools in the state. The trip from the TV station which is south of downtown B'ham to Clanton is about 45 minutes. The station is less than 2 miles from I65.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Mike it hasn't been that long ago that you switch stations and hated the place that you went to. Will this TV station be better for you? I hope so Mike, I like to see the best for you.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Mike it hasn't been that long ago that you switch stations and hated the place that you went to. Will this TV station be better for you? I hope so Mike, I like to see the best for you.
    Ben, I thought about that too. But you know the old saying once bitten twice shy. I'll bet Mike gives this station a full background check before making a move this time. I have a brother-in-law and other family and friends in Birmingham, so I will be giving him some contacts to check with.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Well, here's what I know so far, the station used to be owned by the same company that owns the station I worked for in Mobile. That company was simply great at taking care of its employees, had no problem spending money on the best equipment and gear and was, by far, a better company to work for than the one I work right now.

When I spoke to the Chief Engineer today (and that really blew me away by the way, since I had just emailed a resume the night before) he tells me that the company that owns them now, is far and away better about taking care of the employees and spending money on the best equipment and gear than the previous owners. So that sounds very promising to me. I have checked the owners out and they do sound like a top flight company.

I will make further evaluations as this proceeds but so far, nothing is throwing up red flags to me and to be honest, with the station you guys are referring to that I went to and then dumped so fast, there were red flags but I was talking myself into ignoring them because I wanted to be a Chief Engineer and there were so many "perks" like a company car and others things. Nothing like that here.

Believe me, after the last experience, I will be very cautious with this one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Thats great Mike! Sounds like you're makeing a good move.

Senior Moderator
    I second Georges Clanton idea. It is were my wife and I want to move too once we finish restoring and selling our house in Tallassee.

You could also look at Cullman about 40 minutes north of B'ham. Schools not as good as Clanton, dry county, but if you are Catholic it has one of the best schools in the state. (St. Bernards) if you are not Catholic then you probably can't afford to send one kid there (we couldn't) much less 5.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Mike, my daughter goes to school in Birmingham (Samford University). It's on the southside, actually in Hoover. George's idea of Clanton is good. Pelham is also just south of Birmingham. I have a friend who lives north of Birmingham in a little community called Kimberly. I think kids in Kimberly go to school in Gardendale. I think as long as you stay out of Birmingham proper, you wouldn't have a bad commute and the schools are pretty good.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Will you be changing your name - again?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Will you be changing your name - again?
    I had not thought of that.........hmmmm......I guess if it actually happens, AL_Mike wouldn't be too bad. I wonder what the record is for most screen name changes.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thumbs up

Mike,

I was born in B'ham and lived there for 20 years....

Look for these areas.....Springville , Argo, Trussville, Warrior, Kimberly, Hayden

Springville: Just N. of Bham on I-59 Very popular right now nice place to live. 20-25 minute commute downtown depending on traffic. Good schools.

Argo: Just N. of Springville on I-59 A little less populated than Springville...it will be the 'next springville' as everything spreads out.

Trussville: Very nice place to live. Small city very good schools and nice parks and stuff. Prices will be somewhat higher. This is about 15 miles closer to Bham than the previous two.

Warrior: Very rural. VERY good place to get alot of property or house for the money spent. Good schools. About 10-20 minute commute up I-65 from Bham depending on traffic.

Kimberly/Hayden: Both very similar to warrior. Very rural VERY good property prices little bit longer drive to Bham than Warrior.

There are also nice places closer in to Bham ...Hoover, Pelham, Mountain Brook....These are all closer to Bham but much higher priced than the others.

Also, if you dont mind fighting traffic on Hwy280 (you will learn about this in good time, grasshoppa.....) There is promise down around the Chelsea area.

As an aside, my wife and I will be moving back to Bham in the next few months probably....depends on the job market....

Feel free to ask any other question regarding the city!

-Tim S.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty908 View Post
    Also, if you dont mind fighting traffic on Hwy280 (you will learn about this in good time, grasshoppa.....) There is promise down around the Chelsea area.

As an aside, my wife and I will be moving back to Bham in the next few months probably....depends on the job market....

Feel free to ask any other question regarding the city!

-Tim S.
    Tim, besides the 280 traffic, the other problem with the Chelsea area is it's in Shelby County. It is exploding and prices are climbing like crazy. The other side of Shelby County is not so bad. Montevallo has not been exploding like the rest of the county.
    George

+1 on that. I dont know if maybe Mike is a far richer man than I. It seems like a nice area though.

-Tim S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links