At last, making the move.

This is a discussion on At last, making the move. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I haven't been on here in about a week and a half. I been very busy loking for a new place to move. After a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last, making the move.

VIP Member

At last, making the move.

I haven't been on here in about a week and a half. I been very busy loking for a new place to move. After a year of being on the market, my home has sold. As some of you know, I was forced into early retirement due to a bad ticker. Uncle Sam has been great to me but still not enough money to pay the bills so I needed to downsize. That means selling my home and looking somewhere else cheaper to live. Well I found a great place in the country and will move there March first. Its out by Rolla Missouri which puts me in the middle of my state. I grew up inner city and all my experience that I have told on here is about the city of St. Louis. All my life I wanted to live in the country and now I am. Not sure what stories I'm going to tell you guys now since all this is going to be new to me. But I'm looking forward to the new experience!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    I haven't been on here in about a week and a half. I been very busy loking for a new place to move. After a year of being on the market, my home has sold. As some of you know, I was forced into early retirement due to a bad ticker. Uncle Sam has been great to me but still not enough money to pay the bills so I needed to downsize. That means selling my home and looking somewhere else cheaper to live. Well I found a great place in the country and will move there March first. Its out by Rolla Missouri which puts me in the middle of my state. I grew up inner city and all my experience that I have told on here is about the city of St. Louis. All my life I wanted to live in the country and now I am. Not sure what stories I'm going to tell you guys now since all this is going to be new to me. But I'm looking forward to the new experience!!
    Congrats, Ben. Glad things are working out. I grew up in the country and later lived 14 years in New Orleans. I now live in a small town of less than 4000. My house is 4 blocks from the main street and one house from the country. I love it here. I hope to hear stories very soon of your country adventures.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ben, congratulations on the move to the country. You'll love it there. I grew up in a small town and there's nothing like it. Have fun and rest that ticker.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Thaks dr. I think I'm going to like it too. I'm right in the middle between Rolla and St. James. St. James is Missouri wine country. I have 3 or 4 winerys down the road from me. Right next door is a state park with a big lake on it. A half hour away is a trout hatchery and I'm looking forward to learning how to trout fish. And all around me is Mark Twain Forrest so I'll also have to learn how to hunt.

Assistant Administrator
    Great to hear that Ben - even a small shack if placed out in the boonies somewhat has to be preferable to being in or near a city.

Only problem with downsizing is - depending on the pack-rat quotient ...... is how to avoid taking too much ''stuff''. I fully anticipate you will be once moved - a very happy camper - lots of options it seems ....... good luck with the move too.

My next move is gonna be in a casket - had enough of all that, particularly after moving lock-stock-and-barrel from UK!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congratulations! Welcome to the 'country'. Believe me when I say you'll not be bored away from the city. Just give it six months and things will be interesting enough. It may be a 'different story', but by no means be afraid. Glad you're "looking forward to the new experience", you won't be bored nor disappointed. I've been to St Louis twice in my years of existence. The zoo is amazing, and the folks are very kind except when you're on the road. Beautiful place far as I'm concerned---but then again, I'm used to the country. Set your fears aside and embrace it fully. You're going to enjoy it. Feel free to PM me if you need any more input on the country life.

VIP Member
    Thanks Ram Rod, I'll take you up on that offer. And P95 that will be my next move also. lol

Ben,

Hope this move works out just the way you want it too. I hear red wine is GREAT for your ticker (or, that's what I tell my wife :) ) Hope you enjoy tippling the local vintage.

May the stress of your move be minimal and your happiness immense.

Steve

Good luck, Ben! Scott Van can give you some skunk pointers too, since you're going country.

You'll love it!

Thaks dr. I think I'm going to like it too. I'm right in the middle between Rolla and St. James. St. James is Missouri wine country. I have 3 or 4 winerys down the road from me. Right next door is a state park with a big lake on it. A half hour away is a trout hatchery and I'm looking forward to learning how to trout fish. And all around me is Mark Twain Forrest so I'll also have to learn how to hunt.
    I've driven through Rolla many times on I-44 going home to PA. Looks like real nice country around there and I've sampled the vintage from some of those winerys you mentioned! I also had an older brother that lived in that area back in the 80's and he loved it.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Administrator

Thumbs up

Congrats Ben.

Hey you really got your house sold at the right time.
    Yep, you sure did. That's a real good omen of better things to come.
    The real estate market is a such big mess right now.

So good ol' Ben Hennessy is moving out into the country?
    That's great. You'll love it.

And you are going to have to plant some of your own grape vines.
    And if you promise not to stomp the grapes with your feet I'll be happy to sample a bottle of your home made wine.

We'll keep you right good company on those quiet country nights.
    Sounds like you found a really ideal little spot for yourself.

I wish you all the best.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Thanks guys for your support. I just hope my first story isn't about a rabbit foaming at the mouth, chased me out of the woods! lol

Talking

Thanks guys for your support. I just hope my first story isn't about a rabbit foaming at the mouth, chased me out of the woods! lol
    You mean like this?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    Just like that.lol

That's beautiful country around Rolla, and I recall it as a nice town, pleasant to walk around in. With the college, there are some nice related activities as well. I went to a football game there on a Saturday afternoon in the fall, years ago, and just really enjoyed the community.

I think you'll like the area a lot!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links