Goose attack = $75 lawsuit

This is a discussion on Goose attack = $75 lawsuit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wvrecord.com/news/207858-employee-sues-csx-over-run-in-with-goose Employee sues CSX over run-in with goose 2/12/2008 1:26 PM By Chris Dickerson -Cabell Bureau HUNTINGTON - A CSX Transportation conductor is trying to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goose attack = $75 lawsuit

Goose attack = $75 lawsuit

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/207858-employee-sues-csx-over-run-in-with-goose

Employee sues CSX over run-in with goose

2/12/2008 1:26 PM
    By Chris Dickerson -Cabell Bureau

HUNTINGTON - A CSX Transportation conductor is trying to goose his employer in federal court after he was attacked by a goose in a railyard.

Aaron E. Richards filed a FELA lawsuit Feb. 4 in U.S. District Court in Huntington against CSX.

On April 23, 2005, Richards says he was working as a conductor at the Keyser Receiving Yard near Ravenswood and was performing a brake test on a CSX train.

"As plaintiff performed the required inspection, a goose which was previously known by defendant to have nested in its yard area, suddenly jumped out from under one of the railcars, striking plaintiff, and causing him to fall," the complaint states.

Richards claims his injuries were caused by the negligence of CSX.

He lists injuries as past and future pain, past and future medical treatment, loss of earnings and impairment of future earning capacity and loss of enjoyment of life.

Richards seeks damages in excess of $75,000 as well as costs and other relief. He seeks a jury trial.

Richards is represented by Huntington attorney W. Michael Frazier and William Kvas of the Minneapolis law firm of Hunegs, LeNeave & Kvas. The case has been assigned to Judge Robert C. Chambers.

U.S. District Court case number: 3:08-0079

Ok...Questions:

So this guy is a wuss...that being said...

(I recognize that this is a VERY GENERAL question, but just go with it)

To what extent if any does an employer have a responsibility of protecting its employees from wild animal life?

IMHO, IANAL, the answer is none. Think about it, if you are a park ranger, you are prob. employed by the state/feds...are they supposed to protect you from the possibility of bear attacks? No. But even if so, how could they?

Wouldn't logic dictate that if the scope of your work involves being outdoors at all, then there is an inherent "risk" associated with a possible encounter with animal life?

I have to believe that there are protections in place to protect employers. Going by this logic, if one gets in a car accident on their way to work, then the employer should be at fault...

You legal folk...help!

Next question...in the event you are being attacked by a goose, what is the best way to defend yourself? I do not care if I kill it or not.

2. Remove Ads

Gander

Well lets not get our gander up. IMO, this case will most likely get thrown out by the judge. Geese will run from you if you confront them. If you show them you are afraid, you lose.

I've heard of somebody getting goosed before,but 75,000 for a bruise or scrape that guy wouldn't want me sitting on the jury

Quote Originally Posted by charmincarmens View Post
    Well lets not get our gander up. IMO, this case will most likely get thrown out by the judge. Geese will run from you if you confront them. If you show them you are afraid, you lose.
    I agree except for geese running from you. The Canadian Geese that fly through the area I live in, WILL attack and will NOT run until injured. Mean buggers they is.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Grab it around the neck spin 5-6 times, add a good side dish and a glaze. on the grill at 350 for 1 hour.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Didums' fall down and go boom????

Did that nasssty gooses scare the poor little guy????

Man up, already. If he really injured himself on the job, worker's comp ought to handle it, goose or no goose. Other than that, he's not owed a dime. Throw the bum out!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    Richards seeks damages in excess of $75,000 as well as costs and other relief. He seeks a jury trial.
    He's just trying to feather his nest. JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Pitiful. With a sum that large and a possible jury trial---I'm almost sure there will be a settlement. I'm also sure someone's banking on just that. Sick though---really sick.

my "tiger claw" will beat "goose bite"...sorry to many Bruce Lee movies.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Yea, but just think how many guns $75,000 would buy. Here goosey, goosey. This guy is probably a
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Story update...

The CSX Goose has handed the case over to the AFLAC Duck using the 'old' pigeon drop pass off...

More later...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think this story is for the birds. He should have ducked out of the way.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

One of my wishes is that I live long enough to see our Tort laws changed so that if a Plaintiff loses they automatically become liable for the Defendant's legal expenses.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

The CSX Goose has handed the case over to the AFLAC Duck using the 'old' pigeon drop pass off...

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    One of my wishes is that I live long enough to see our Tort laws changed so that if a Plaintiff loses they automatically become liable for the Defendant's legal expenses.
    Yea! The current system justs cooks my goose.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post

Hoss
    Agreed. There's nothing worse than taking unpaid time off of work to sit on a jury for some frivolous lawsuit. A frivolous appeal is even worse. Ask me how I know. I lost a month's pay because I thought I would be 'serving my country'. The lawyers still made their money though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links