Old age, step-parenthood and trust (rant) - Page 2

Old age, step-parenthood and trust (rant)

This is a discussion on Old age, step-parenthood and trust (rant) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sounds a lot like my brother at age 18 except not as bad. He ran the gamut - drugs, burglary, etc. It took him awhile ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old age, step-parenthood and trust (rant)

Sounds a lot like my brother at age 18 except not as bad. He ran the gamut - drugs, burglary, etc. It took him awhile but he finally turned it around. He's 25 now, has a professional job (and very good at it) and a family. I can't say we agree on everything (we are brothers after all) but I'm proud of him now. It just takes some folks a little longer to 'see the light.'

Assistant Administrator
    I can but hope Joe - mainly that he avoids anything real bad and the consequences, which could well ruin the rest of his life.
    I mean we know what 45 rpm records are don't we?
    tangle - can't remember what you mentioned re age but this old 'un is a sexagenarian - and hey - what happened to the 78 rpm records then? The ones that would smash to pieces if dropped!

45's - they were once the new technology.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    tangle - can't remember what you mentioned re age but this old 'un is a sexagenarian - and hey - what happened to the 78 rpm records then? The ones that would smash to pieces if dropped!

45's - they were once the new technology.!
    I'll be there Dec 22 (sexagenarian that is). Ah, yes the 78 rpm records with that little hole in the middle - I'd forgotten about those. Remember those big reel-to-reel tape recorders?

Assistant Administrator
    Remember those big reel-to-reel tape recorders?
    Sure do - had a couple! I am tempted to be facetious and mention the wire recorder and the wax drum too!LOL.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Sure do - had a couple! I am tempted to be facetious and mention the wire recorder and the wax drum too!LOL.
    How about going to the drug store to test the vaccum tubes from your TV set? Them were some kind of days weren't they!

Lead Moderator
    Sure do - had a couple!
    Had? Had! How about HAVE? Of course the drive belt is shot and I don't know if I can get another. Mine is one of the "big" ones with the 10" reels. I did get rid of the old one that had the vacuum tubes.......... Broke my heart!

BTW: I one had one of my kids ask what a plastic thing she found was...... The little adapter for playing 45's on the 3 speed record palyers!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my - nostalgia reigns supreme LOL!

Hehe - vacuum tubes - I tested my own, on a WWII Wheimacht tester! Around age 17 I started aquiring beat up TV sets and stripping them down for parts - and began making simple radios and amplifiers. Over time I accumulated about 2,000 vacuum tubes and had enough gear to make transmitters as well.

From that, I stayed with electronics as transistors came along and then to CMOS and TTL logic chips. Enjoyed making ''gadgets'' - some not all that useful. Eventually let it all lapse as we got into complex dedicated chips and surface mount etc but still keep a large stock of earlier logic chips and other components. Broke my heart to have to sell my valves collection, for not much - but they had to go when I moved over in 2000.
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    rstickle,
    I've got one of those plastic things! I know right where it is. It's in its little holder on my record player that I play all my Venture albums on!

P95,
    I "play" with those "chips" every semester. I love it! My cousin once said, "Ron, you don't go to work like the rest of us, you go to play." I guess he's right.

Assistant Administrator
    Reckon Ron we could have some fun in slack moments.

Two of my old fave chips are 555 timer and 741 op-amp - and variants thereof. Not much you can't do with those and a few R's and C's. Some good way back I constructed a TTL/CMOS tester - still have it and all the ref' cards I made up - reckon I'll take a pic of that to show you. It was among some of the projects I was most pleased with and of course, it had huge application potential when I went thru ''rescued'' chips to see if they were OK.

NOTE - severe thread drift goin' on here but hey - it's my thread folks so -
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Reckon Ron we could have some fun in slack moments.

Two of my old fave chips are 555 timer and 741 op-amp - and variants thereof. Not much you can't do with those and a few R's and C's.
    Ain't it the truth!

Some good way back I constructed a TTL/CMOS tester - still have it and all the ref' cards I made up - reckon I'll take a pic of that to show you. It was among some of the projects I was most pleased with and of course, it had huge application potential when I went thru ''rescued'' chips to see if they were OK.
    Wow! I'm impressed! That's a real challenge! Love to see the pics - of course "see" with me right now is mostly one-eyed, but it works good!

NOTE - severe thread drift goin' on here but hey - it's my thread folks so -
    What thread drift you talkin' about? I don't see any thread drift; this is the Off Topic & Humor Discussions thread isn't it? And what we're talking about is both off topic and humorous (maybe pathetic?) - you just have to be old to see it.

OK, my turn, last Fall I designed a PCB (printed circuit board for you spectators) with ten bicolor LEDs (red and green) in a Christmas tree shape. They are controlled by a microcontroller and the program makes them blink in random patterns. But wait, they blink in beat with the electronically generated Christmas carols the microcontroller also generates! It plays about 15 tunes and sequences through them. I designed, built, and programmed the thing from concept to finish.

P95, this is weird, I believe we must be brothers that were somehow separated at birth.

And that's why we need to be patient with our children; and give them enough time and space to discovery themselves and life. I threw that in so you could see we're not drifting at all!

Assistant Administrator
    Great ''drift counter'' there Ron - we are good to go - further LOL!

Your LED gizzmo sounds great - <sigh> - so long since I made any stuff. Crazy thing is, even without any additions, I have enough parts to make about anything - even still rave ''raw'' PCB and used to etch my own quite often - but often cheated and used the strip board - called Veroboard back in UK.

The TTL/CMOS tester in fact I did PCB myself and it was one of the mosat complex I think I did. I dug that out from old shop - sadly front panel is somewhat messed up and won't clean too well but - will get to taking a pic or three later.

Gotta go <sigh> and shoot some steel plates later on. That'll help cover for your prob' today eh
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Yessir, you can count on me to keep us on the straight and narrow thread!

I'll be thinking about what you're doing while I'm sitting in the doctor's office getting my eyes pryed open and poked on. Shoot one for me!

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - as threatened - some pics of IC tester. I'll put 'em up before I go off plinking! Made in 1992, thus the figure on title text.

As I said, time and crud etc have marred front panel - I used to use it a lot too. I made small ref cards for each device - and second pic is sorta ''dummied up'' with patch leads and a card (hexschmidt trigger) to show method. Chip would be inserted in small pin pad to left side. On far left is a large pin pad so I could add and connect to a secondary device if needed.

Last pic is the inside - still quite clean, tho annoyingly some of the small patch sockets have fatigued and the plastic heads are coming off - some repairs needed - darned plastic aging. I think I mentioned, tho you can't see it here, the PCB was one I drew up and etched - very tedious!

Later

Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    Wow again! That looks totally professional!!!!! Great job! And, thanks for the pics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links