More stupid lawsuits and their payouts

This is a discussion on More stupid lawsuits and their payouts within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 7TH PLACE : Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More stupid lawsuits and their payouts

More stupid lawsuits and their payouts

7TH PLACE :
    Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

6TH PLACE :
    Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles, California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.
    Go ahead, grab your head scratcher.

5TH PLACE :
    Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.
    Keep scratching. There are more...

4TH PLACE :
    Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.
    Grrrrr .. Scratch, scratch.

3RD PLACE :
    Third place goes to Amber Carson of Lancaster , Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument. What ever happened to people being responsible for their own actions?
    Scratch, scratch, scratch. Hang in there; there are only two more Stellas to go...>

2ND PLACE :
    Kara Walton, of Claymont, Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

1ST PLACE: (May I have a fanfare played on 50 kazoos please)
    This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was Mrs.. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased a new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home from an OU football game, having driven onto the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down, $1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

Are we, as a society, getting more stupid?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

You know, I can see the stupidity of the people who commit these acts but I am really challenged to understand just how intellegent the judges and juries were in all of these cases.

I am ashamed for the number one.. Because it is true, and very well known around here. :(
    "If you don't have any guns and someone breaks in, what are you going to shoot them with?"
    -Dale Gribble.

Where do bad folks go when they die. They don't go to heaven where the angels fly. Go to a lake of fire and fry, see them again 'till the Fourth of July

Oh My God !......
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

G&G
    Sad. Rewarding someone for personal irresponsibility. Judges & jurys void of common sense. God help America. We can't help ourselves.
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Are we, as a society, getting more stupid?
    Yes. Gullible, too.

BTW: Urban Legends Reference Pages (snopes.com) indicates this to be false urban legend.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's not the judges fault, they were born stupid. It's the idiots at the voting booth that put them in office who are at fault. Or the fault of people like us who don't run against them. We do still have a say in the way this society is run, the unfortunate part is we laugh or 'scratch our heads' at the stupidity instead of doing something about it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I can see #4 if it is in a "absolute liability state" dog bite = pay check

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    You know, I can see the stupidity of the people who commit these acts but I am really challenged to understand just how intellegent the judges and juries were in all of these cases.
    In answer to the OP's question, "yes". As for judges & juries, they come from the same gene pool. The attorney's for these people probably wheel them into the court room in full body castes & wheel chairs with the tears flowing. Truely pathetic.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes. Gullible, too.

BTW: Urban Legends Reference Pages (snopes.com) indicates this to be false urban legend.
    As ccw9mm pointed out, with reference, these aren't real. I'm sure, with a bit of research, a legitimate example could be found, but this list, which first appeared on the Internet in 2001, ain't it.

It's wise to do a little homework before passing this kind of thing on.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    As ccw9mm pointed out, with reference, these aren't real. I'm sure, with a bit of research, a legitimate example could be found, but this list, which first appeared on the Internet in 2001, ain't it.

It's wise to do a little homework before passing this kind of thing on.
    My bad, my source usually checks these out before hand. Sorry about this, I got wind of the inaccuracy when I got home tonight from my source.

Mods, please delete.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    5TH PLACE :
    Terrence Dickson, of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT, days on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish.
    Keep scratching. There are more...

Why didnt he just pull the red lever and release the garage door from the automatic opener to were he just lifts it up??

so in the words of this guy

I say "Dumb@_-" well you can fill in the blanks
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

My parents have a condo in FL and the people next too us sued and won a major case. In this case the women fell off her bar stool (drunk) broke her wrists and sued the stool company...... and won.

VIP Member
    Caution coffee is hot! Need I say more?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links