ICBM Missle Reminder- spy satellite

This is a discussion on ICBM Missle Reminder- spy satellite within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Navy missile hits spy satellite By ROBERT BURNS WASHINGTON - A missile launched from a Navy ship struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ICBM Missle Reminder- spy satellite

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

ICBM Missle Reminder- spy satellite

Navy missile hits spy satellite

By ROBERT BURNS

WASHINGTON - A missile launched from a Navy ship struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 miles over the Pacific on Wednesday, the Pentagon said.
    ADVERTISEMENT

It was not clear whether the operation succeeded in its main goal of destroying a tank aboard the satellite that carried a toxic fuel that U.S. officials said could pose a hazard to humans if it landed in a populated area.
    This evening the US Navy launched a medium range ballistic missile and successfully hit a dead spy satellite in low earth orbit. It is really amazing some of the technology that has been built and the precision with it was deployed. that being said,

It is an eerie reminder of the Cold War. Just think- the US Navy just launched a Ballistic Missile! This wasn't a test either, it was a real mission with a real target. To my limited knowledge, this is the first operational use of a ballistic missile? Scary ...

Keep it safe.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

No warhead, destruction by impact only.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

t was not clear whether the operation succeeded in its main goal of destroying a tank aboard the satellite that carried a toxic fuel that U.S. officials said could pose a hazard to humans if it landed in a populated area.
    I didn't think satellites had any onboard fuel. They get where they are by rocket or the shuttle. Sounds fishy to me. Toxic or secret? Yeah.

The "toxic Fuel" was probably maneuvering fuel that was used in small amounts to correct or change the course. Since spy satellites were in polar orbits, they could be maneuvered to fly over any point on the earths surface.

If you watch a space shuttle landing, they check for fuel residue before opening the door, and I recall seeing that the first ground crew who approach the shuttle wear protective equipment. I have no idea if they use the same type of fuel as the satellite on the shuttle but it would make sense.

If you are interested, a great book on spy satellites is "Deep Black" by William Burroughs. (It's available on Amazon, but I could not figure how to link to it.) The book is a little dated, but goes into incredible detail.
    "We have every right to dream heroic dreams" - Ronald Reagen, 1st inaugural Address

They use small thrusters to adjust orbit/attitude etc. Well, when the computer doesnt' lock up that is.

The actual risk was probably minimal, and if there was some 'secret' stuff it probably would have burned up on re-entry too. I think it sounds like a good excuse to shoot something with a big missile.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

They are just like us!

The bottom line here as I see it is that the military dudes are just the same as we shooting dudes.

What good is having a toy if you can't play with it?

...Skye...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Just a minor point, but I don't think the Navy fired a ballistic missile. Ballistic missiles, true to their name, follow ballistic arcs and are not really used by themselves to shoot anything down. Likely they launched an SM-2 or an SM-3 "Standard" SAM. Those missiles are guided and follow defined flight plans under power. They have been proven recently to have the capability to actually intercept ICBM's in the initial boost phase and IIRC the Navy has had some success on intercepting them in their pre-terminal phase.

Yep. Here ya go:
    DoD Succeeds In Intercepting Non-Functioning Satellite

You think its hot stuff that the US can shoot down a satellite for giggles with a normal cruiser? The THAAD system will be rediculous (even if I do disagree with its KE kill techniques). Missile systems like this are one of the reasons Russia has been getting so angry lately. They've got more nukes than anyone and if we can completely negate their nuclear capability, where does that leave them? What about the Chinese or North Koreans? Iran? This is new tech and its very effective.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I didn't think satellites had any onboard fuel. They get where they are by rocket or the shuttle. Sounds fishy to me. Toxic or secret? Yeah.
    How do you think they stay up there?

Most large satellites have a fuel system of some type to use for getting them to and keeping them in proper orbit. In a lot of cases the longer the mission, the more fuel they will carry. The fuel systems also give "spy" satellites an option of being able to do some modification of their initial orbits.

One odd exception to this is Hubble, because of it's sensitive optics it maneuvering is done with reaction wheels, and orbital boosts by the Shuttle on servicing missions.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Hey China.......watch this!

The missile used was the Standard Missile 3, which is a surface to air interceptor missile used to defend the US Fleet against enemy aircraft. This missile was modified to remove the warhead, so that it would be a kinetic kill, instead of an explosive kill; that was done in order to minimize the spread of bits and pieces of the satellite and missile after impact, so the residue can be confined to the smallest area of space, and hopefully fall into the atmosphere and burn up. The idea was to minimize the amount of "space junk" in orbit due to the satellite being fragmented.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    You gotta love cold hard reality!!!
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Actually, China beat us to it. They shot down one of their own previously, and the US raised hell about it.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Actually, China beat us to it. They shot down one of their own previously, and the US raised hell about it.
    Actually, we did it first in 1985. They conducted their one and only successful test last year. (I think.....)

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I think the U.S. just wanted to show the world we cane still flex our muscles at 130 miles out.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    My thoughts exactly. I think its great to be able to tell China "Oh by the way, that nifty technology that you just came up with, yea we have had that as a portable platform mounted to our naval ships for a while now."
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links