Is It Just Me?

This is a discussion on Is It Just Me? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yesterday my wife told me that she was taking my 3 year old granddaughter to our local mall to buy her some new shoes. Understand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Just Me?

Is It Just Me?

Yesterday my wife told me that she was taking my 3 year old granddaughter to our local mall to buy her some new shoes. Understand that this is a very upscale mall in a nice part of the community. My first reaction was to tell her that I did not want her going without me(and my gun), because I was fearful of their being harmed. She told me that she appreciated my concern, but that the outing was intended as a grandmother-granddaughter outing, and she assured me that she understood all the rules of safety I had ingrained in her, and that she would stay very alert.

With a great deal of reluctance I agreed for them to go without me, but must confess that I was very uneasy until they arrived safely back home.

I am certain that a year or so ago I would not have felt this same deep concern for their safety. Is is just me and my increasing paranoia, or is this something others are experiencing as well? What the heck is going on?

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

Realistic concern <> paranoia, which is the term the unschooled use to describe what they do not understand.

What is going on is a collapse in personal responsibility and moral grounding. It can be seen in every aspect of our "civilization" (such as it is). Another key factor that's going on is a rapid rise in the number of unschooled, who are utterly unprepared to deal with the reality of such unprovoked and outsized attacks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In short------NO, it's not just you.
    What is going on is a collapse in personal responsibility and moral grounding. It can be seen in every aspect of our "civilization" (such as it is). Another key factor that's going on is a rapid rise in the number of unschooled, who are utterly unprepared to deal with the reality of such unprovoked and outsized attacks.
    I agree.

All one has to do is watch the news accounts, and your feelings are certainly justified. I feel the same way about my wife going anywhere...but at least she now takes a weapon with her.

Ron, does you wife take a weapon along?

(Did you get that Kimber yet? That would leave a revolver for your wife...)

Take care...
    Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You are not alone in thinking that the mall has become a free target zone. I have the same feeling when my 19 yr old grandson goes to the mall by himself.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

My wife carries , So I let go shopping
    Jack dog

I never usta feel that way either........now I think twice when the wife and/or daughters take off anywhere. My wife has confessed to me (in 'so many words' indirectly) that she considerably more comfortable when me and "my buddy" tag along.......and I 'dislike' shopping at malls....especially for "girl stuff".

My "girls" can only stand Gander Mtn. or Bass Pro Shops for so long.

Crime in our area isn't getting better or worse, but in the cities and towns that have the "cool malls and shopping centers" crime is on this side of getting out of hand....AND becoming considerably more violent in nature. I'm not paranoid, but I'll continue to take responsibility for me and mine.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Ron, does you wife take a weapon along?

(Did you get that Kimber yet? That would leave a revolver for your wife...)

Take care...
    Ken
    No, she does not carry. She has come fully aboard with my carrying, and, in fact, almost always makes sure I have my gun when we go out together, but I have not yet been successful with getting her to the range. But, I have not given up yet.

Still trying to decide which Kimber to buy.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Paranoid, no. Having ones eyes open to reality is probably more the case.

Odds are that nothing will happen but gambling on those odds is playing with fire of the worst sort. Most people are just more comfortable with ignoring the threat than acknowledging and dealing with it.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

You have a just and honest concern for your family, and the "what ifs" are all too frequent now. I remember many years ago(with wife #2) leaving the nice mall in town, and we were supposed to be at her mothers at 2:30. We came out of the Sears store, at 2:17 (by my watch) and I am one of those persons who does not like to be late. Her mother lived about 8 blocks from the mall, so we had time, but I hurried her, and we made it on time. That night on the news the big story was the drive-by shooting outside the Sears store at 2:20. I should have heard the shots! I could not carry concealed then, and I NEVER go to that mall without being armed now!
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; February 24th, 2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: remove redundant sentence
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I don't think its just you, and I don't think you're paranoid either. Locking doors, being alert, being armed....those are reasonable precautions. There's no reason you shouldn't want to go along to keep her safe - just tell her its because you love her - works for me!

My wife takes OC and a knife everywhere she goes....no permit yet. But she does want to get one!

Austin
    Last edited by aus71383; February 24th, 2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add

Administrator
    Mall Hysteria Syndrome.
    Hey they really DO have that name for it now. I heard it on the news.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

It is by no means just you. I am experiencing the same thing. Luckily my wife also carries and trains with her gun so I feel a little better about her being out with the kids without me. I still don't like it. Not because I don't think she can protect them, just because 2 guns in a gun fight beats one any day of the week.

I would completely agree with this statement.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

It isn't just you! We live in a very nice, affluent area south of Dayton, Ohio. In the past 2 months we've had one murder, 2 car-jackings and one home invasion in which the invaders put a pistol in a 2 year old's mouth to make the parents compliant. No, you're not paranoid. I too am very anxious where my wife goes and when she picks up my daughter and granddaughter it goes up another notch or two.. concern isn't paranoia when it's rational.

Thanks, guys. It's good to know that I am not overreacting in my concern for their safety. It is a pretty sad commentary on the state of our society.

Ron

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links