Police Scanner?

Police Scanner?

This is a discussion on Police Scanner? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure if this fits here in the "Related Gear" but..... A friend of mine has a police scanner he is selling. It is an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Scanner?

Police Scanner?

Not sure if this fits here in the "Related Gear" but.....
    A friend of mine has a police scanner he is selling. It is an APCO digital scanner(whatever that means), and he is selling it really cheap. He is moving onto base and into military housing and says he has no need for a scanner on post. I really don't know why he had a need for a scanner to begin with other than a little fun in listening to police. He offered it to me for a good price compared to what it is new. My question is:
    WHY? What does someone do with a police scanner? If I were to get it what would I use it for? I know it is illegal in some states to use it in the car. I homestly don't know whether i should get it simply for fun, or if it actually has a purpose to it. Anyone have a scanner?
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I listen to a scanner all the time when I'm on the computer. I like to listen to it for the traffic accidents so I can avoid them when I get ready to go on the Highway or just for a drive to get out of the house.

I have a Radio Shack Pro 2056 Scanner that I listen to all the time. Like Arkie above, it keeps me informed of local accidents, and it is fun to listen to. You can always download lists of local frequencies by doing a Google search for scanner frequencies in your county. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by JonInNY; February 25th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    A friend just bought one over the weekend. He listens for traffic and also things that may or may not make the news. Crime is rising in his area and he wants to know about things as they happen rather than after the fact. He downloaded general 10-codes too as his area has a lot of police helicopter traffic at night.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Depending were you live, you may be able get Live steaming audio of Police & Fire dispatchs. At least thats the case were I live. I enjoy listening to it once in a while when im bored, you need to understand the codes otherwise it's pointless.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

You never know when a scanner might tell you about some dirtbag headed your way and let you get ready for him. They are fun to listen to but you also get more information from them than you realize. Bad weather reports. Wrecks. In times of riots they can tell you where not to go...
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Good scanner. Which model and how much is he asking?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Lead Moderator
    As said, if you understand the codes an lingo it might be a bit of entertainment and info.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here's a list of the "10" codes that are heard on scanners:

ScanDouglas - Douglas County Codes
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

NYPD Scanner on the Internet

Warning: Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition.

VIP Member
    I dunno... I have a scanner and don't use it much. About the only time I do is when I hear sirens in my neighborhood.

It kinda sounds like maybe you might be getting in to something that you're really not committed to. Getting the right scanner depends on what frequencies / trunking etc. your local LE / Fire is using. If you trust your friend you probably will be okay but then again... a friend sold me a scanner once that no longer received the "new" trunked frequencies so I got burned.

Not all agencies use a "10" code and "10" codes do vary state to state. Some agencies use Municipal Codes etc.

Be careful.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I did a little online research the scanner is a bearcat bcd396t. Turns out the area I am in is now broadcasting digitally. According to my friend this scanner does pick up the new digital signals. On post,( I live about a mile off a military base) the military police use encrypted signals, so a no-go on that one. It dies have built-in automatic weather alert though, so thats a plus. I am not into scanners, but you never know until you try. It sounds like something that might be fun to listen to. Nothing wrong with being a little nosy. I may just go ahead and grab it.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

After reading this topic, I am bit interested in buying a scanner for the house or car. Every now then, I go onto Winamp Radio, they sometimes have a live streaming channel of police or fire department radio channels.

I have a Uniden Bearcat scanner. I like to listen to it sometimes. I listened to a search for a downed aircraft a few years ago. Better than a movie in my opinion. Lots of reasons. You can listen to the space shuttle, airlines, fire, emergency, police, etc. Some are going to digital in my area. Duke gets to listen to the scanner more than I do now. Keeps him interested when I'm not around.
    Duke:

Administrator
    For anybody thinking about buying a RadioShack portable - Get the AC/DC adapter at the same time. A word to the wise.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links