Anyone know real estate?

Anyone know real estate?

This is a discussion on Anyone know real estate? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am looking at trying to buy a piece of land, which according to property tax records, has no owner. I have done minor searching ...

Anyone know real estate?

I am looking at trying to buy a piece of land, which according to property tax records, has no owner.

I have done minor searching on this so far. The parcel shows up on the property maps, but shows no lot number, assigned address, or parcel id.

How can I go about finding out who, whether it's the county, or a real owner, without stirring up too much unwanted interest?

It is adjacent to my current property, so in effect, I would greatly increase the actual useful property I have now. I don't want to develop it or build on it, just clear it back some and use it.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Did you contact the tax collector office. May be owner by the state.

Here in NY if you ised the property open in public view for a period of 10 years you now onw the property. If you lived here in Ny and i set up a building in on your front lawn and you did not do anything for 10 years. It is now mine.

You will need to contact the county first, they will have the owner of record even if it is undisclosed. If that is a dead end, then go to the city (if there is one) where the property resides. The head of Zoning at the city will be able to direct you to the owner.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I only know fake estate. Sorry I had to say that.

Go to the assesor's office and/or the recorders office, first. Usually these are county offices. Act helpless, be nice, and ask questions. Usually the people in these offices are bored and more than happy to help you find the information you are looking for.

Since it doesn't have any assigned numbers you can find, it is possible that they may not have it on record or have inadequate information. If that is the case, check with the county surveyor. They usually have detailed records that reach farther back.

Hope that helps.

Fake estate !! Ha

Thanks for the help gang.

How do I tell them which piece of land I am looking for info about? Point at it on the map and hope they are knowledgeable about figuring these things out?

Sorry to be questioning things, but I know how my local County Assessors office is. Dealt with them too many times before.

It is either county or real property. We are outside of city limits.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

If it's next to your property you could take in your tax receipt, it should have the land description on it, and tell them it'd the adjoining land on the , which ever side it's on, ie west. Most county assessors offices have a property map that you can point to it on too.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yea I would just have them pull up the map with your lot and then point to the lot next to it. They should be able to figure it our from there. Like I said before, if their map doesn't show the info, then go to the surveyors office. They have to have record on it.

If you know a general location or street they will be able to provide you with a map that you can use to locate the piece of property. You may also check the area and see if it is marked by orange, red, or blue paint, markers, or flags. This will help the County to find out if it is owned by local, state, or federal goverment entity.

Links