Rant about Forum courtesies and hijacking threads.

This is a discussion on Rant about Forum courtesies and hijacking threads. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Why is it that when somebody gets on here to get some advice about their local law or to discuss a current event, that there ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant about Forum courtesies and hijacking threads.

Rant about Forum courtesies and hijacking threads.

Why is it that when somebody gets on here to get some advice about their local law or to discuss a current event, that there are a multitude of responses like...
    I don't know the laws where you are, but here in (insert state)
    and then they go on to give all of the relative statutes for their state, not the one the OP was concerned about?

If the need to respond is felt that strongly, is it too much to ask that you look up their state law so that your response can actually contribute to the conversation?

I'll go ahead and admit that I throw in the 'glad I'm a Texan', every once in a while, but when an OP is from a certain state, why would I tell him about my laws? And why would I admit starting out that I don't know what his laws are, but here is what I could do? That doesn't make sense. Well, sorry for the Rant...I'm going to get another cup of coffee.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

Go ahead and rant. We all need to do it once in a while. I know what you're talking about, and I guess I've been known to sort of (unofficially) hijack a thread now and then. I'll throw in my rant along with yours so the mods won't have to move it. Why is it then that the questions get asked in the first place, then I can go and Google what the OP is looking for in the end? I mean---we are all here on the internet and all the information is readily available with a simple walk of the fingertips! I'll continue to post links and such for those that don't know exactly how to use the internet. That being said, I still like the occasional human interaction the forum gives in real time. I'm only on my first cup of coffee here. BerneyG------have a good day okay? I mean that.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; February 27th, 2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

JD
    Administrator
    While we're on the topic of courtesies, might as well throw out the link....oh wait, it's in my signature all ready.

l
    l
    l
    \/

ramrod, I have seen that, also. But I don't have a problem with people asking a question here that is easily found for me, or you, but might not be for them. The internet is a dangerous place to get information, and for those who have not been around it very long, it might be tough for them to decipher a legitimate website from a bogus one. I think that is where those kind of questions fit in to this forum. By asking a question here, and having several people look up the answer, it is almost kind of a quality assurance kind of thing.

I've seen people post bad information linked from a questionable source and other members have found better and more legitimate sources and helped out the original poster.

I guess what led me to this rant was 2 part.
    1. The I don't know what your laws are, but here are mine or here is my advice anyway.
    2. After somebody has posted the exact laws, somebody has skimmed the thread and not read the previous posts, or read them and ignored them and still says they don't know what your laws are, but here are mine or here is my advice anyway.

It's sad to say that sometimes us Texans are the worst about both of them. I guess its hard to keep that Texas pride from coming out.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

I'm probably pretty bad on the thread hijacking thing. I turned my own "Denver's Fox 31" thread into a discussion about civil rights of minors. I tend to run down rabbit holes that way sometimes. It's generally not a hostile thing, it's just a bad habit.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

balckpr, of course things go off on tangents, that's why we discuss them here in the first place. And it's fun to see where things end up before they fizzle out. I have no issues with threads, especially current event threads going in different directions.
    My issue was where somebody really wants advice or help finding a law, and instead people tell them what would be legal where they are. Or where a Texas law is in discussion and people say an act is illegal because it would be where they were.
    Of course things go off in different directions, but they should at least stay in the context of helping the OP, or at least being able to include him in the rest of the thread.
    I guess it's not that big of a deal. It's just that one statement that irks me..."I don't know about you, but for me..."
    It might as well say, "I don't know what I am talking about, but I want to feel included so I will venture my opinion anyway."

By the way, the word 'irk' irks me, too.

Who is John Galt?

Cool Keyboard Writers and Commandos

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post

and then they go on to give all of the relative statutes for their state, not the one the OP was concerned about?
    We're all wanna be attorneys?

I agree BTW, but enough coffee and nuthin' bothers me

Good reminder too, but the gestapo mods ( ) will stop extremes...........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

That's a healthy rant IMO.

I don't know about rants in your state, but in mine we generally try to get everything off our chest.

I'm guilty of thread hijacking and it's good to see a healthy rant like this to help me remember common courtesies. For that, thank you!

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    That's a healthy rant IMO.

I don't know about rants in your state, but in mine we generally try to get everything off our chest.

I'm guilty of thread hijacking and it's good to see a healthy rant like this to help me remember common courtesies. For that, thank you!

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

Well, you brought a smile to my day, so I guess my rant accomplished what I wanted it to.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Like everything else on this forum, even the rants around here are pretty tame and well-behaved. Points all well taken, Berney.

I do sometimes find it useful to see, "Well, in my state, it goes like this..." because, when done right, it can highlight little gotchas of the law that people often don't think to look for. Those little things may or may not be relevant to the OP, but I know seeing things like that has made me look more deeply or more carefully sometimes...

One example would be all the times somebody puts in a thread, "Isn't body armor illegal?" Twelve people from as many different states pointing out that, in their own states, it's only illegal for felons or in the commission of a crime is probably good info for the OP, even if it's not his/her state.

All that said, it just means one should have a good reason for going apparently off-topic.

(Matiki: That's just funny, right there. )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Like everything else on this forum, even the rants around here are pretty tame and well-behaved. Points all well taken, Berney.

I do sometimes find it useful to see, "Well, in my state, it goes like this..." because, when done right, it can highlight little gotchas of the law that people often don't think to look for. Those little things may or may not be relevant to the OP, but I know seeing things like that has made me look more deeply or more carefully sometimes...

One example would be all the times somebody puts in a thread, "Isn't body armor illegal?" Twelve people from as many different states pointing out that, in their own states, it's only illegal for felons or in the commission of a crime is probably good info for the OP, even if it's not his/her state.

All that said, it just means one should have a good reason for going apparently off-topic.

(Matiki: That's just funny, right there. )
    Yup, when it's done right, it is definitely helpfull, I mean, we couldn't have 50 different state specific threads about body armor...that wouldn't be very lively, or informative. There are tons of situations where you are exactly right and it's useful information.

When I first typed my rant, I had specific examples in it of what I was talking about. Before I posted, I went back and reread it and decided to remove the examples.

I didn't want the 'Gestapo Mods' after me
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; February 27th, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: edited to conform with Gestapo's wishes.

Who is John Galt?

BerneyG, you make a good point. I also am bothered by the "wrong state" info. My biggest concern is someone getting into trouble because they didn't recognize they were getting "bad" advice (bad because the laws here are not the same as yours).

Senior Moderator
    I didn't want the 'gestapo mods' after me
    Please capitalize Gestapo Mods

How about it when someone posts something totally off topic from the OP's questions.

Speaking of Off topic I'm moving it to Off Topic because this isn't a forum problem per se
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Please capitalize Gestapo Mods
    Done.

And, yeah, it was a toss up...couldn't figure out which one it would fit better in...off topic, or forum comments.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; February 27th, 2008 at 08:01 PM.

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I guess this is where I would say "I'm Sorry" Thats the way we are in Texas anyway.......I can't believe I went there "Sorry again."
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links