steak chilli

This is a discussion on steak chilli within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Someone on another thread asked for a good chili recipe using " steak " Now a bit of background for this recipee is in order ...

Thread: steak chilli

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

steak chilli

Someone on another thread asked for a good chili recipe using " steak "
    Now a bit of background for this recipee is in order . It is " Poppa Dick's " green chili . Poppa Dick was a dispatcher who once kept me safe , as well as when i was a new officer in town could steer me unerringly to any address , had i been there or not , all poppa dick needed to know is where i was right now . By the time i arrived i would not only know all about the address in question , but a good deal about the neighbors . Sometimes thier grandchildren . Anyhow in a " hispanic " town i happened to have a lot of little old ladys who plied me with great food for various reasons .

In it all Poppa Dick would make chili , and share it with the few he liked , Somehow i always got at least a meal , and usualy a pot to take home . Well eventually Poppa Dick passed on and as a friend i attended to the dutys required of me by him . Among the things willed to me was the recipee for his chili . I will share an edited version with yall , and i reccomend it be done with venison thow you can do it with pork or beef .

you will need :

1 cup celery, sliced thin
    1 cup onion sliced same .
    1 (or more to taste ) can of tomatos .
    1 large ( i speak to half the standard single serving soup can size ) can of mild green chillis .
    2 to 4 lb of meat cubed into less than an inch sized cubes .
    1/2 teaspoon of garlic ( i use about a teaspoon and a half of fresh garlic )
    1/2 teaspoon of cellery salt , oregano , and cumin. that is a half each to taste .

Now for prep , dump the meat ( cubed ) into a pot on high heat and sear it .
    It will stick and this is ok .

once it is semi seared dump in the spices going with fresh first . once the onion goes transparent dump the sliced cellery . and just cook things till the cellery starts to become soft sturring all the time . Now add your liquids and cook the mix down sampling as you go till it cooks to a gravy consistency on the liquid .

That is the base recipee . You can mod it by including diced jalapeños, habeneros , chilli powder , red pepper , ect to make it as hot and your flavor of hot as you want it . If you want it done with less than 8 hrs or so simmer time you can keep it on a high boil season at the last minute and use either corn starch or flower to thicken it . If you spice it up and its too hot , well put another can of tomatoes or god fobid a can of tomato sauce in it . If you have to settle it down a bit, then have to re bring it back just remember to respice and when you do remember that garlic and cumin are a marrage in chili and you are not likely to need more hot , just more chili taste .

I hope this post tho not an absolute chili recipee ( which i abhore ) will help the poster who asked to make a chili he can be proud of . Texans can note that it is a true chili since it has no beans lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

I guess that could double for deer meat as well!? Thanks for sharing!

Hey with me i have not eaten a venison roast in years . everything that is not a steak is " stew " ( include chili here lol ) . The reason i shared this recipee is because you can use it with any red meat . its not game specific , or pork specific , its do you have a couple pounds of meat . now i admit better cuts are better , but even poor cuts work if you simmer them and when you need to add liquid , add chicken stock , be it from a can or from bullion that you mix up . keep it rich , keep it close to spicy , and then simmer it down , if you want more hot later well powder your hot and stir it inn . the base recipe tho will serve a lot of us well .

I find it bland , my wife finds it fine , I eat raw habeneros as a tv snack she does not .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Come on guys! You're making me hungry

Thanks for the receipe

First off

Raw habeneros as a tv snack?!?!

Do you have any sinuses left?

Second,
    Thanks for the receipe. I've printed it out and if I get a chance this weekend it's on the stove. Otherwise it'll be next weekend. I've got some Buffalo I'd like to try with it.

Sounds good.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    Sounds real good. Thanks for posting it Redneck.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

irst off

Raw habeneros as a tv snack?!?!

Do you have any sinuses left?
    nope lol . however the base recipee is approved for all , no matter how bland i personally consider it .

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Oh yeah! Thanks for the recipe.

It usually take me about 3 times to learn how to cook something. I usually stick with sandwiches. I'll definitely be attempting this because there's nowhere to get spicy food around here. Finally, chili with no beans...

Celery, onions, tomatoes, chiles? How can I go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Oh yeah! Thanks for the recipe.

It usually take me about 3 times to learn how to cook something. I usually stick with sandwiches. I'll definitely be attempting this because there's nowhere to get spicy food around here. Finally, chili with no beans...

Celery, onions, tomatoes, chiles? How can I go wrong?
    I had a recipe for no-beans chili when I was in college, but I lost it.
    All I can remember is it included 2 cans of beer - one added to the ingredients and the other to drink while cooking.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Links