February 29th, 2008 04:31 PM
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Got this off of one of my favorite webcomics Schlock Mercenary:
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates is a popular handbook in the Schlock Mercenary universe. The book's rules (of which there are more than seven) are often quoted by Tagon, as well as other characters. The following is an overview of the book, as penned by Howard Tayler on November 21, 2002 in the notes section of the comic:
In the waning years of the 20th century a popular self-help book for businessmen, The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective People, was lampooned on-stage by an improvisational comedy troupe which only four years later was completely defunct, giving rise to speculation that perhaps those in charge should have been reading the book more carefully rather than lampooning it.
Their sketch, The Seven Habits Of Highly Effective Pirates, went completely unnoticed for several centuries, until the day an archeobibliologist named Joel happened across the script in the Gates Memorial Archive Of Stupid Things From Ye Olde Internet. Our story would have ended there, except that Joel's younger brother Linc was in prison for privateering, and it occurred Joel that perhaps his wanna-be pirate brother would get a kick out of reading it.
Unfortunately, Linc realized as he chuckled at the script ("Bury the hatchet! Hah!") that he was in prison because he was NOT an effective person, and was an even less effective pirate. So he began to write.
Most books written in prison do not tend to sell well, but this one did. Eventually, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates was translated from Galstandard West into the other four Galastandard languages (East, Eight, Brown, and Peroxide), and became a handbook not only for pirates, smugglers, and privateers, but also for CEOs, defense attorneys, and tenured professors. The fact that there are more than seven habits, as well as dozens of 'rules,' may confuse some readers, though, so be warned. And remember Rule 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
The following is a list of rules found in Schlock Mercenary. The rules are ordered by rule number.
1. Pillage, then burn.
6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
8. Mockery and derision have their place. Usually, it's on the far side of the airlock.
9. Never turn your back on an enemy.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
13. Do unto others.
16. Your name is in the mouth of others: be sure it has teeth.
21. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Take his fish away and tell him he's lucky just to be alive, and he'll figure out how to catch another one for you to take tomorrow.
27. Don't be afraid to be the first to resort to violence.
29. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.
30. A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.
31. Only cheaters prosper.
34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
35. That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support.
37. There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload."
xx. Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients.
February 29th, 2008 05:16 PM
Number 21 is my favorite so far....
March 1st, 2008 09:59 AM
A picture is worth . . .
"We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters
March 1st, 2008 10:30 AM
For proper CCW and SD, kindly refer to #'s: 6, 9, 12, 27, 30, 31, 35, 37...
Stay armed...trust no one...stay safe!
The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.
Certified Glock Armorer
NRA Life Member[/B]
By QKShooter in forum Defensive Knives & Other Weapons
Last Post: October 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
By Chiller2 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
Last Post: July 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
By old grunt in forum Defensive Carry Guns
Last Post: June 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
By helitech in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
Last Post: January 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Search tags for this page
7 habits humor
7 habits of highly effective pirates
7 habits of mercenaries
book of highly effective pirates
gates memorial archive of banned things from ye olde internet
rule 37 of the 7 rules for highly effective pirates
seven habits humor
seven habits of highly effective pirates, schlock mercenary
seven rules highly effective pirates
seven rules highly successful pirates
seven rules of highly effective pirates
the 6 rules of highly effective pirates
Click on a term to search for related topics.
» DefensiveCarry Sponsors