Windows problem

This is a discussion on Windows problem within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; what causes \windows\system32\config\system to go corrupt? My PC would not start and I kept getting this error that windows could not start because \windows\system32\config\system may ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows problem

Windows problem

what causes \windows\system32\config\system to go corrupt?
    My PC would not start and I kept getting this error that windows could not start because \windows\system32\config\system may be corrupt or missing.
    I installed the CD and went to repair, typed in "chkdsk" and the results came back that there were bad sectors. Then I restarted the PC, now I can get into it so I went to system restore and restored back a week. Seems to be fine now, but was wondering if this was some kind of virus or worm? i use Avast Anti Virus, Spywareguard, and spywareblaster. My firewall is the windows firewall and auto updates are set to auto. I use a Lynksys wireless router and found some outsider using my signal, so I set it with a password.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    what causes \windows\system32\config\system to go corrupt?
    My PC would not start and I kept getting this error that windows could not start because \windows\system32\config\system may be corrupt or missing.
    I installed the CD and went to repair, typed in "chkdsk" and the results came back that there were bad sectors. Then I restarted the PC, now I can get into it so I went to system restore and restored back a week. Seems to be fine now, but was wondering if this was some kind of virus or worm? i use Avast Anti Virus, Spywareguard, and spywareblaster. My firewall is the windows firewall and auto updates are set to auto. I use a Lynksys wireless router and found some outsider using my signal, so I set it with a password.
    It's usually the registry being corrupted. The causes are too many and too far between (it's WinDoze). This should point you in the right direction:
    How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Par for the course in my experience.

Based on reading your post it appears you do not need this, but others who find this thread via search may find this helpful:

I've permanently resolved the situation by purchasing One of these.

Edit: Packinnova's all over it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

This is the one I used in part to recover with. I just did not know rather or not it may had been a hacker or something. After all was said and done I defraged the disk too. Much lost space there, now it tighter
    Think twice
    Buy once!

if it continues, it might be time to replace the hard disk. i run my anti-virus once a week (at the least). AVG has a pretty decent free version. you should also have a firewall installed. the windows firewall only prevents incoming (or out going... it's been awhile since i used it). zone alarm is a great one and is also free. remember to properly uninstall your programs when you want to get rid of them. there are so many reasons why this could happen, but i hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Par for the course in my experience.

Based on reading your post it appears you do not need this, but others who find this thread via search may find this helpful:

I've permanently resolved the situation by purchasing One of these.

Edit: Packinnova's all over it.
    Heh...I don't like flackintosh either.
    What happens when you install Linux on a Mac? Is it still a mac?
    I suppose they'll have to come up with drivers for the buns and condiments.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hard Drives can have bad sectors develop over a period of time. I just had to format and reinstall windows XP on my older PC, due to some sectors that contained operating system files that went bad. I tried to do a system repair, and the bad sectors prevented it, then I tried to install a second copy of the system, and it also failed. Reformatting the Hard Drive allowed me to reinstall the system. Formatting the HD maps out the bad sectors so that the sector map and file management system doesn't allow attempts to put data in bad sectors.

It seems that every couple of years I have to replace a Hard Drive unit that goes bad; sometimes it is the motor bearings that go bad - you can usually hear them going bad for quite a time before the system completely crashes.

DC Founder
    While it could certainly be the registry, as pointed out, my bet is the hard drive is starting to give you warning signs. I routinely replace hard drives that are more than 3 years old since I have had a couple of losses due to them. To make sure I don't lose much, if anything, I also have an external 500gb USB drive that I use to back everything up every couple of weeks. Normally I don't even turn it on except for backups. I have too much to lose these days....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Started with a Mac many moons ago...then went to PC's...had nothing but trouble with my Gateway over many years...always some virus issue to repair of guard against...too many issues to name!

Bought an iMac (4 gigs of RAM)...the thing smokes the competition...others I have met with Mac's cherish the problem free service...what a difference!

I'll never go back to PC's...their just virus magnents...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Bad sectors are a physical defect, not the result of malicious software. It sounds like your hard drive may be giving up the ghost.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    Hard Drives can have bad sectors develop over a period of time. I just had to format and reinstall windows XP on my older PC, due to some sectors that contained operating system files that went bad. I tried to do a system repair, and the bad sectors prevented it, then I tried to install a second copy of the system, and it also failed. Reformatting the Hard Drive allowed me to reinstall the system. Formatting the HD maps out the bad sectors so that the sector map and file management system doesn't allow attempts to put data in bad sectors.

It seems that every couple of years I have to replace a Hard Drive unit that goes bad; sometimes it is the motor bearings that go bad - you can usually hear them going bad for quite a time before the system completely crashes.

everytime that i have had issues similiar to yours (or when helping others with their computers) the hard dirve ended up failing, just like yours. i am however very surprised that the drives are neading to be replaced every couple of years... unless you're buying your computers from dell, it's a regular occurance with them. i run WD raptors and have no problems except for one that was DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    While it could certainly be the registry, as pointed out, my bet is the hard drive is starting to give you warning signs. I routinely replace hard drives that are more than 3 years old since I have had a couple of losses due to them. To make sure I don't lose much, if anything, I also have an external 500gb USB drive that I use to back everything up every couple of weeks. Normally I don't even turn it on except for backups. I have too much to lose these days....
    Is that something like a flash drive? maybe thats what I should do too
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    Is that something like a flash drive? maybe thats what I should do too
    no, it's an external hard drive that's accessed through usb. flash drives deteriate much faster then the standard magnetic drive.

Like the others are saying...sounds like the hard drive is going out.
    If it starts giving you more problems, look into a program called SpinRite from
    **Home of Gibson Research Corporation**. It will help recover the system until you can get the hard drive replaced.
    Until Mac comes out with a PC like this
    The OQO Model 2 they'll always be in 2nd place. I signed up as a authorized reseller of the OQO and it puts the iPhone to SHAME :-) (it should for the money)
    I'm forever in the car...and one of my company slogans are "we're completely mobile" so now...I really am. I can look up parts, write up invoices, email, etc from anywhere I can get a cell signal.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

dunndw, i was looking at those not too long ago... definately a fine piece of technology!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links