Shoplifting

This is a discussion on Shoplifting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just thought this was kind of a cool story that I witnessed. I work at a large retail chain. During these events I just happened ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoplifting

Shoplifting

Just thought this was kind of a cool story that I witnessed. I work at a large retail chain. During these events I just happened to be walking by and witnessed it.

Well one security guy was watching the monitors he saw a guy that stole from another store the week before. He tells the manager of the "security" team, he was former Marine and Police officer (not a guy you want to mess with), he was in plain cloths walking around, so he ran out front of the store listening to his walkie to which of the doors the perp was heading out with a 26" LCD TV in his hands. By the time the perp reaches the door the Store manager who is about 6 foot something and 250 pounds was also standing outside the store next to the security manager for help if he needed it. (they were outside because its not a theft until they get outside the door)

As soon as the perp hits the outside door, the security manager grabs him by the collar and the back of the shirt and kinda swings him into the wall (not that hard), the perp struggles so both of the managers eventually get him into handcuffs behind his back. They are walking him back inside to go back to the office to get the cops involved and to do some paper work.

As they get into the door, he hits and spins away from the security manager and does a flying kick to open the door back up (hands still handcuffed by the way). Both managers run full steam toward the guy and tackle the guy to the ground between the doors in the doorway. He had a good sized bump on his head and was slightly bleeding from it.

When the cop was there in the room the perp was just lipping off and swearing at him the whole time. The cops saw the tape and just basically said "thats got to hurt" and chuckled. The whole thing worked out fine, he was arrested and the force was justified on the stores part.

Its always nice to know that the store you work at isn't afraid of protecting itself and its employees. There has been times when employees were threatened and one instance assaulted, even though he probably broke a million "corporate rules" he still did anything within the law to protect the person.

2. Remove Ads

Good for them. One of my first jobs was as a Store Detective... tons of fun. Bad pay though. Ahh... memories.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    the perp struggles so both of the managers eventually get him into handcuffs behind his back.
    Store security is allowed to handcuff somebody? I wouldn't have thought they would even carry handcuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert2.71828 View Post
    Store security is allowed to handcuff somebody? I wouldn't have thought they would even carry handcuffs.
    It varies by State, but in most states you can make a citizens arrest for a felony committed in your presence, or any crime against your person. Additionally, some states (WA is one), you can detain for any level of shoplifting and escalate to arrest if they resist.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

we have different levels of security people, and even the lowest level carry handcuffs.

Administrator
    Most areas can detain until LEO's arrive. It always suprises me how many shoplifters turn violent when caught, when if they just sit down and take the heat for a little bit, they most likely will be let go.
    Here in Ohio, if a shoplifter gets violent trying to get away, it becomes a robbery instead of a theft... boneheads.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here in Ohio, if a shoplifter gets violent trying to get away, it becomes a robbery instead of a theft... boneheads.
    Nobody said criminals were smart.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

No different than a suspended licensee fleeing police because of no license and adding years to a potential sentence...DUMB...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yeah, big/huge difference between shoplifting and robbery. What is sad is that a thief has more rights than the store does, if you attempt to stop a thief you set yourself up for all kinds of grief.
    unfortunately because shoplifting is a separate crime it gets the class c misdemeanor/spit on the sidewalk/jaywalking attention and the police around here dont take kindly to being called for it, (almost makes you feel like they would prefer you hand the thief a thank you shopping bag, and say come again soon)
    I learned a long time ago to make sure what your employer wants you to do regarding theft/shoplifting/robbery/aggrevated robbery etc.
    I chased a kid (12 years old) for stealing some maddog 20/20, his parents threated to sue because he ran in front of a car and got some bruises, (kids are lucky that way my old bones would have snapped) the officer who came out gave me grief about it as well, I was about to spout off and tell the officer and the parents what I thought of the "victim" but decided that with the parents threatening to sue already I had better keep my mouth shut.

yea kids are a totally different story, you basically can't touch them. Most of the time this guy at my store is so "scary" that the kids will do anything that he tells them and they usually start crying and freaking out. Its actually quite amusing, lil punks get the crap scared out of them.

Yeah you just try to intimidate the little punks so they choose another store to steal from, I had a parent come threaten to "adjust my attitude" over his thieving son, I told the kid he couldnt come in anymore because I caught him pocketing some candy. kid comes back 3 weeks later I tell him to get out, he refuses says what everyone says "you cant make me leave its a free country"
    I walk over to him and say "you are interferring with this place of bussiness and have been asked to leave, if you refuse to leave you are criminally tresspassing, if you have a problem with what I have told you go home and get your parents and come back I will explain it to them, or wait outside the store and call the police yourself" (now my close proximity to him may have been threatening but since I am well aware that everything I say is recorded I certainly didnt make any threats.)
    typical stupid parenting skills
    "how dare you threaten my son, I am going to mess you up"
    Slow down there tough guy, I think you need to go outside and call the police if you have a problem, or if you can be reasonable and calm we can discuss this.
    "blah blah blah I am going to " I pick up the phone and call the police, non emergency number and explain to the parent at that time he is also tresspassing, police get there I pull out the video of the little bugger stealing,
    At that time the police write out the Criminal Tresspass warnings to both of them and explain they cant come back etc etc. Sad is that If I had threated his son I would have gone to jail, but the parent threatens me and nothing happens.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; March 2nd, 2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.

My daughter worked at Goodies for a couple of years. They have a policy of nonconfrontation with shoplifters. They wouldn't even do anything when someone would try to bring back stolen stuff for money. I will not shop there because of their policy. They wouldn't even call the cops and would fire employees if they did. Sad, sad policy. I'm glad my daughter no longer shops there. Since she left they have all new people working there, it seems they were steeling the store blind from the stock room and at the front register. What comes around goes around.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    My daughter worked at Goodies for a couple of years. They have a policy of nonconfrontation with shoplifters. They wouldn't even do anything when someone would try to bring back stolen stuff for money. I will not shop there because of their policy. They wouldn't even call the cops and would fire employees if they did. Sad, sad policy. I'm glad my daughter no longer shops there. Since she left they have all new people working there, it seems they were steeling the store blind from the stock room and at the front register. What comes around goes around.
    LMAO, well you can bet they would prosecute the internal theft, but the truth is if you put out a NO CONFRONTATION POLICY TO PROTECT FROM LIABILITY and the public finds out you have just put out a sign that says SHOPLIFTERS WANTED. From a corporate view I can understand the no confrontation policy for several reasons, but then the same corporations will go and do stupid things that are "shoplifter unfriendly" like tag goods or install the infamous walmart alarm "stop you have activated our anti theft system" which only irritates the good shoppers because the thieves just keep walking.

how does one expect to just walk out of a store with something as large as a 26" t.v.? is it my imagination or did thieves used to be a little more cunning back in the 40s-60s?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

sadly they usually just put in a cart or by hand and walk a direct line to the door and into their car. It happens all the time. One time an employee loaded a Bose stereo into a lady's cart and they talked for a bit about it, and then she left the store without paying for it. Good thing for her the store was packed and nobody was watching her, until that night when the rewound the tape when they noticed they were missing a stereo. she came back in about a week later and was loading up a cart full of cameras that were on an end cap display and was walking out the door when she was tackled by our lady security person (another cool arrest to see)

We on the floor are supposed to call security anytime that you see something expensive in a cart and they watch them until they hit the registers.

The only way he got caught was that his picture is plastered around the store from previous thefts, and it was an 9 at night so it was really slow and the security didn't have anything else to do but watch him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links