The Definition of Devine Providence

This is a discussion on The Definition of Devine Providence within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Greetings to all of my brethren at Defensive carry; I have not posted in over a week, because of something i thought I would share ...

Thread: The Definition of Devine Providence

The Definition of Devine Providence

Greetings to all of my brethren at Defensive carry; I have not posted in over a week, because of something i thought I would share today. It began last Saturday, February 23rd, around 10:00am. on county road 536 just north of Floresville, TX where I was on my way to get my medication refill from a local pharmacy. As I approached a sharp turn in the road, I noticed the gravel too late, and the bike slid out from under me. All I could do was guide the bike to the grass, and prepare to roll as best I could. When I was done, I was a mass of pain and cuts to my face where the broken face mask to my helmet had liberally cut it. The rest of my body had been protected by jeans, leather jacket and gloves. A passing driver immediately called 911, and I was transported to the nearest trauma hospital in San Antonio. There, I was given a CAT scan, X-rays, and an MRI. Then, the bad news: They had discovered a stable fracture in my C-7 neck vertebrae, as well as a teardrop fracture in my C-5 and a bulging disc beneath. Of course, it required immediate surgery, which was performed Tuesday morning. I was released from the hospital Thursday and have been home since, my neck secured in a C-collar, which will be my constant companion for the next 6-12 weeks. The most amazing part of this odyssey came as I recovered from surgery in the ICU, when the neurosurgery team came to visit me. The Chief of surgery asked me about my previous life, and my hobbies, sports, etc. As I answered, of course I asked why he was interested. He answered that it was because they were trying to determine that age of my injury, because the motorcycle accident did not cause my injury; the injuries they repaired were more than 20 years old, judging by the amount of bone spurs and scar tissue they had to remove to make the necessary repairs.So I decided to name this thread the definition of Devine providence, because I told those Doctors, as I will tell all of you, that you could take your pick: Organized contact sports (Football, baseball, Boxing, Wrestling) through High School. Full Contact Karate through 1994; A lifetime of motorcycles, Jet Skis complete with many crashes (on the Jet Skis, never the Bikes), and plenty of Physical altercations (fights) and very hard physical jobs (oil field, etc). So I have learned of divine providence this week and thought I would share it with all of you today........
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I guess that fits the category of "better late than never"...

Good to hear that this incident didn't turn out any worse. How's the bike, though?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Glad you're going to be OK...are you still going to ride?

Take care...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As much as I would like to, I think my cycling days are pretty much over; I still have to be a father to three little boys (6,4, & 2.5), so I think the bike thing willl give way to me coaching them through things like little league, etc.

The bike isn't totaled, but I am going to sell it off anyway.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I feel your pain! When I had to have a shoulder rebuilt the doctor was showing me the video of the surgery. At one point he stops the video to show me the tissue that's holding my shoulder together. It was supposed to be nice and red, mine was mostly gray. He said my shoulders were held together mostly by the scar tissue of what looked like hundreds of small injuries instead of healthy tissue. Well gee doc I wonder if it was the road bicycling, martial arts, years of sailing, whitewater canoeing, backpacking, or the wooden boat shipwright work that got me? He told me I wasn't 25 any more and I was supposed to start acting my age, whatever that means!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

"Devine" providence? But you were in Floresville . . . (South Texas humor).

Glad you're okay, despite your checkered past. I'm right up the road in San Antonio. Drop a PM sometime if you get bored during recovery.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links