Guns of "No Country for Old Men"

This is a discussion on Guns of "No Country for Old Men" within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anyone know exactly what guns were used in this movie?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns of "No Country for Old Men"

VIP Member

Guns of "No Country for Old Men"

Does anyone know exactly what guns were used in this movie?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Come on guys... nobody? And here I thought we knew everything...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Heck, I don't even know the movie!

VIP Member
    Great - if unconventional and potentially frustrating - movie. The main bad guy (one of the best bad guys in recent memory, by the way), uses a suppressed semi-auto shotgun of some sort and what may have been a Tec-9. I have to admit, I'm usually staring at the guns trying to figure out what they are, but this movies was so engrossing I didn't pay close enough attention... :(

There is also a nickle (or was it chromanated? ) 1911, some AKs, an MP5K (or similar), and various other firearms here and there - all pretty accurately depicted (except for a severe lack of recoil on the auto shotgun in a few scenes).

Is it a current release or something I can find on dvd? Sounds like it might be worth looking for......gotta be better than American Idol!

VIP Member
    I don't know if it's out on DVD yet, but it will be soon if it isn't already. I'll warn you again - it's untraditional. It's based on a book by a notoriously grim, violent, and open-ended author, and directed by the guys who did Fargo, Blood Simple, and Miller's Crossing. Don't expect the feel good movie of the year...

Ron
    Just as a point of information, I believe it won the recent Academy Award for best picture, or at least was one of the movies nominated. Don't you guys go to the movies? Too busy shooting at the range, I guess.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

EW3
    I'm not sure about the model, but there was a stainless steel 1911 used pretty prominently throughout the movie by Josh Brolin. I especially liked the scene where he had to jump into the river to evade a dog, then he utilized some sort of drill to clear and reload the wet gun in order to save himself.

The best "gun" in the movie, IMO was the captive bolt cattle gun the BG used to silently dispatch his victims.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Just as a point of information, I believe it won the recent Academy Award for best picture, or at least was one of the movies nominated. Don't you guys go to the movies? Too busy shooting at the range, I guess.

Ron
    The last movie I saw in a theater was "Ice Age", with our then 3 year old. Let's see, she's 8 now, so.......

Gotta love pay-per-view, dvd's, and the dvr! That reminds me, I've got an episode of PD TV that I haven't watched yet!

VIP Member
    Here's a screen shot from the film. Is it a Remington 11-87?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Here's a screen shot from the film. Is it a Remington 11-87?
    Forearm doesn't look quite right to me for an 11-87.....and it looks like there might be some engraving on the side plate. I don't think I've ever seen that on an 11-87. Not sure though......

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    That is a Rem. reciver.......I don't know of any other "look-alike" manufacturs.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Great - if unconventional and potentially frustrating - movie. The main bad guy (one of the best bad guys in recent memory, by the way), uses a suppressed semi-auto shotgun of some sort and what may have been a Tec-9. I have to admit, I'm usually staring at the guns trying to figure out what they are, but this movies was so engrossing I didn't pay close enough attention... :(
    OPFOR,

Engrossing, if frustrating, movie. It is NOT a feel-good flick, as someone mentioned.

Like you, I was too busy watching to notice the guns, except for the 1911 and the shotty.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Shotgun looks like an a Remington 1100.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links