Other forums and deja vu

Other forums and deja vu

This is a discussion on Other forums and deja vu within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I'm sure others here frequent different forums occasionally like I do. I pretty much do it for alternative information, and some are broken down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other forums and deja vu

Other forums and deja vu

Well, I'm sure others here frequent different forums occasionally like I do. I pretty much do it for alternative information, and some are broken down into more specific forums such as brand name of pistol and so forth. I enjoy having alternatives don't you? Thing is lately-I'm seen way too much forum 'copy-cat transitioning'. (What I'm going to term this malady for now). Yes--consider this a rant of sorts, but when I spend alot of time here (on the best of all those forums), then take a break as new threads subside, and go to check an alternative---and BAM! I come across the exact same title and exact same subject repeated by an OP here, or a copy-cat out to create new threads somewhere and take the credit for it. I mean c'mon here. Just went and opened up one of those alternative CCW forums, and low and behold! Top topic was: "would Christ carry a concealed weapon?" That's all it took for me, and close to having a vomit moment, closed the link immediately and figure it will be along time before I check in there again. Oh---there have been plenty of others before, just not this noticeable. This is not yet a very well know forum, and doesn't have many members yet. Folks----can't we come up with our own materials here? I mean be original, and not re-hash the same subjects from other forums? Does this further one's standing in the particular forum? Quite frankly, it makes me sick. If you're one of those guilty of such things, take it how you'd like. For me----I'm never stooping so low as to do something like this. Now if it's good pertinent information on the other hand------just copy and paste a link-okay? Thank you. I'm ready to take my lumps now.

no lumbs for me. i agree. same stories-diffrent forums.

i'm quilty of a few. i'll be first to admit that.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

The only thing I'll say, is that as a new forum, sometimes it's good to have the added content and discussion imported from other forums. That's said, I don't think anyone should be reposting without giving proper credit to their source.

Imagine there's an incredibly enlightening discussion at another forum, why not engage in that discussion here? Just don't take credit for it.

I get annoyed by it too.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The only thing I'll say, is that as a new forum, sometimes it's good to have the added content and discussion imported from other forums.
    Okay--I can see that point a little bit.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    This is just about the only forum I ever view so I wouldn't notice a copy cat thread anywhere... but I think it's possible that people might see an interesting thread and want to run it by a different group of their internet friends. Imagine if you could never bring up subjects in conversation that originated with other people -- then where would we be?

p.s. After a couple of months here, even our threads go to re-runs.

I visit otheer sites of other topics and have seen the same person create the same thread on 4 or 5 different sites, it is just to bad that most of the people are on all the sites. Gets a little boreing. I only check these sites about once a month now. Besides I find this site more informative and the subject matter more invigorating.

Administrator
    I've had people PM me in the past about threads I started here and they found someone copied and pasted else where... it chapped my backside a little, but I figure if I'm going to post something on the net, its subject to all of the publics faults.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Well, you have to remember that when you put it on the Internet and out into the public domain...unless you copyright it...it's basically your gift to the world.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, you have to remember that when you put it on the Internet and out into the public domain...unless you copyright it...it's basically your gift to the world.
    I guess the world owes me a lot then.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I don't see it as a big deal...just someone wanting to find out some opinions or information from a different perspective. This is a gun board. I've seen the same posts on Cop boards,Reloading Boards,and other gun specific boards.

I recognize some names there from here, or vice versa. My name is the same on a half dozen other boards. I dont generally duplicate posts on several boards, but I suppose I would have a reason for doing so.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

so you copied a tread about copying threads
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    This is a gun board. I've seen the same posts on Cop boards,Reloading Boards,and other gun specific boards.
    If it has to do with guns, then it probably makes the rounds (pun intended).

There have been a few great comments - editorials that were worth the effort of saving, but really, what comment was so unique (mine included) that it deserved a copywrite notice?

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    If someone has a specific question and posts it on a few relevant forums to get different perspectives, I see no harm/problem.

e.g. If I have a question about a Glock handgun it might be appropriate here and on GlockTalk.

If it is just for the sake of spamming a thread everywhere, I can agree with your point.

DC Founder
    There are a lot of people that "make the rounds" on the various forums posting the same questions, articles, links etc and I really don't have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is newer forums that copy content from this and other forums and post it elsewhere, when it is not the original poster. This is unfortunately a common practice among fledgling forums from what I've read and seen. An administrator simply creates several dozen accounts and starts gleaning a little here and a little there until it looks like they have more members contributing than they really do. You'd think there was money, prestige or power of some kind in running a forum. There's not....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links