Gas Prices!

This is a discussion on Gas Prices! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I normally drive 20 miles on Tuesday nights to shoot IDPA. I told everyone there last night that it would be my last night. With ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices!

Angry Gas Prices!

I normally drive 20 miles on Tuesday nights to shoot IDPA. I told everyone there last night that it would be my last night. With reloading costs going up and gas prices going up, it has reached the point of behavioral change.

The local sportsman's club here has a steel plate shoot on Tuesdays for pistols & revolvers. It's not the same as IDPA but it'll have to do.

Disposable income is becoming less & less. The first priority is money for gas for both the Mrs. & myself to get to work.
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately, gas prices, inflation, and trying to buy all the guns I want in the next year (instead of the next 10 like I had originally planned) have forced me to make several behavioral changes, also.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Assuming your car gets 20 mpg and the price of gas has gone up $1.50 per gallon over the last 12-18 months, it's costing you an extra $1.50 each week to shoot in your Tuesday matches. That's about the price of 2 rounds of factory ammo!

I'm not poking at you and I sure don't pretend to know your personal situation, but are things really that tough?

I don't like paying more for gas either, but it just seems to me that a lot of people are blaming the price of gas for just about everything these days.

Sorry for the rant......hope you can find a way to continue to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Assuming your car gets 20 mpg and the price of gas has gone up $1.50 per gallon over the last 12-18 months, it's costing you an extra $1.50 each week to shoot in your Tuesday matches. That's about the price of 2 rounds of factory ammo!

I'm not poking at you and I sure don't pretend to know your personal situation, but are things really that tough?

I don't like paying more for gas either, but it just seems to me that a lot of people are blaming the price of gas for just about everything these days.

Sorry for the rant......hope you can find a way to continue to shoot.

20 miles to + 20 miles back = 40 miles
    40 miles at 20 mpg = 2 gallons of fuel
    2 gallons of fuel with an increase of 1.50 per gallon = 3.00 more
    And prices of ammo are up way more than 1.50 over the last year.

But then again, the dollar is weak, so $3.00 is almost the same as what $1.50 used to be...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

That's just $3.00 more for that one trip to the range. You include that increase to the round trip to work for him and his wife to that, plus any trips to the grocery store and it starts adding up very quickly.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I was mad the first time I ever filled up at over 20 dollars a tank, now I'm happy if filling up doesn't cost too much more than $30,...So I definitely feel your pain. Being a 21 year old "starving student"

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator
    Buy a bike.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hear Exxon had another record year!! We will run out of dead dinosaurs soon! Oil at $105.00 a barrel and I don't see it getting any better. Supply and demand, It won't be long and we will be talking about $150.00 a barrel and $6.00 a gallon at the pump. That increases everything we buy. A weak dollar, all time high energy costs, 2% raises, we all make 20-30% less then we did 3-4 years ago. Then again we are spending billons trying to figure out how to land a robot on mars!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Angry Gouged

If you think it's bad now,wait until memorial day.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    20 miles to + 20 miles back = 40 miles
    40 miles at 20 mpg = 2 gallons of fuel
    2 gallons of fuel with an increase of 1.50 per gallon = 3.00 more
    And prices of ammo are up way more than 1.50 over the last year.

But then again, the dollar is weak, so $3.00 is almost the same as what $1.50 used to be...
    He said he drives 20 miles to shoot.......My assumption was that was the total drive. I could be wrong. My rant still stands if the incremental cost is 3 bucks. Just change it to 4 rounds of factory ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I hear Exxon had another record year!! We will run out of dead dinosaurs soon! Oil at $105.00 a barrel and I don't see it getting any better. Supply and demand, It won't be long and we will be talking about $150.00 a barrel and $6.00 a gallon at the pump. That increases everything we buy. A weak dollar, all time high energy costs, 2% raises, we all make 20-30% less then we did 3-4 years ago. Then again we are spending billons trying to figure out how to land a robot on mars!
    Plenty of dead dinosaurs in ANWR and off the coast of my beloved Florida. Let's go get 'em!

Administrator
    At any rate, the price will climb as high as the market will allow.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Plenty of dead dinosaurs in ANWR and off the coast of my beloved Florida. Let's go get 'em!
    Gasp......The ecosystem...So you don't mind killing the turtles
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I feel you pain. I have a diesel truck and fuel for it jumped 10 cents in one day. It's about $3.59 a gallon multiply that 27 gals and WOW. No more super charged take offs. Not giving up on any of my shooting yet. Might have to give up on dessert on my Saturday night out with my friends.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Currently $3.15/gallon here in S.E. Kansas. I thought we had it bad until I watched a news report last night showing some stations in California at $4.00+ already. The thing that really kills me is Diesel. A 35 gallon fill-up on my truck at current $3.59/gallon = $125.65 . And they wonder why the economy is going to heck in a handbasket.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links