I wish this were surprising: Chicago may ban baggies

This is a discussion on I wish this were surprising: Chicago may ban baggies within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; You know how we all joke about, "Well, if guns cause crime, then spoons cause obesity?" It seems Chicago is taking seriously the notion that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I wish this were surprising: Chicago may ban baggies

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

I wish this were surprising: Chicago may ban baggies

You know how we all joke about, "Well, if guns cause crime, then spoons cause obesity?" It seems Chicago is taking seriously the notion that plastic baggies cause drug distribution. (Mind you, I have a friend who makes jewelry who uses these sorts of baggies all the time to store small glass beads of various types. Obviously just a drug-pushing felon waiting to happen. )

Story here.

City may ban little baggies
    COUNCIL | They're 'Marketing 101' for drug dealers, cop says

March 5, 2008
    BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Tiny plastic bags used to sell small quantities of heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana and other drugs would be banned in Chicago, under a crackdown advanced Tuesday by a City Council committee.

Ald. Robert Fioretti (2nd) persuaded the Health Committee to ban possession of "self-sealing plastic bags under two inches in either height or width," after picking up 15 of the bags on a recent Sunday afternoon stroll through a West Side park.

Lt. Kevin Navarro, commanding officer of the Chicago Police Department's Narcotics and Gang Unit, said the ordinance will be an "important tool" to go after grocery stores, health food stores and other businesses. The bags are used by the thousand to sell small quantities of drugs at $10 or $20 a bag.

Navarro referred to the plastic bags as "Marketing 101 for the drug dealers." Many of them have symbols, allowing drug users to ask for "Superman" or "Blue Dolphin" instead of the drug itself, he said.

Prior to the final vote, Ald. Walter Burnett (27th) expressed concern about arresting innocent people. He noted that extra buttons that come with suits, shirts and blouses -- and jewelry that's been repaired -- come in similar plastic bags.

Burnett was reassured by language that states "one reasonably should know that such items will be or are being used" to package, transfer, deliver or store a controlled substance. Violators would be punished by a $1,500 fine.

Health Committee Chairman Ed Smith (28th) said the ban is part of a desperate effort to stop what he called "the most destructive force" in Chicago neighborhoods.

"We need to use every measure that we possibly can to stop it because it is destroying our kids," he said.
    I really, really wish I could say that I find this surprising. Alas, I don't...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Nice. We all know those little baggies aren't useful for anything legitimate.

Like say, expensive seasonings like Saffron.

Or putting your kids medication in their lunch bag.

Or keeping small bits and pieces together in your toolbox.

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I did't mean to sell drugs, the bag made me do it.

That is just crazy.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    We are just getting more stoopiderer every day....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Yes, that's right, little plastic bags are the cause of drug crimes. Those zip-lock freezer/microwave "assault baggies" are really the worst. Come on, there are no "sporting purposes" for these bags! They only exist to kill. Ban, ban, ban! For the children! Just the other day I saw a group of little baggies go out, fill themselves full of heroin, and sell themselves to a group of middle school kids! They must be stopped!!!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

It's been a hard winter up there. I'm thinking some brains must have frozen solid.

I am just waiting for Bloomberg to come help Daily in trying to bring lawsuits against sellers of these baggies (outside of Chicago), because they are selling so many of them and they are being brought into Chicago causing the drug sales to continue.

That and the lawsuits against Ziplock because they are making more baggies than the general population could ever use. So, therefore their target market is to the drug dealers.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Wow. I couldn't find all the little plastic baggies in my home to dispose of them if I tried. Little nuts, bolts, screws, countless hundreds of electronics components. How about banning cel-phones and cars, since they facilitate the purchase agreement and transportation of drugs. Oh, and mass transit too. How about being outside of your home at anytime for any reason. That'll make it better.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I buy regular sandwich bags (about 4" x 4") at Costco by the thousand for about a penny apiece. How hard will it be to transition to a slightly larger bag? What's the difference to them? Will they then ban those bags? C'MON!

For this to work, someone actually had to have the thought... "If we ban those little baggies, then some drug dealers will have to quit selling drugs because they will have nothing in which to put their drugs." Did some politician actually think this?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I buy regular sandwich bags (about 4" x 4") at Costco by the thousand for about a penny apiece. How hard will it be to transition to a slightly larger bag? What's the difference to them? Will they then ban those bags? C'MON!

For this to work, someone actually had to have the thought... "If we ban those little baggies, then some drug dealers will have to quit selling drugs because they will have nothing in which to put their drugs." Did some politician actually think this?
    Do you really want the answer to that?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

JD
    Administrator
    I've been using this one a lot lately......

This is just ridiculous.

pssss. Hey buddy you need to score some baggies. Come on the first one is free. I have small ones, medium ones, large ones. Whacha need?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    What about fish hooks and swivels and stuff.............bad fisherman bad
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Do you really want the answer to that?
    No, please. I prefer to live without knowing that someone actually did consider this a viable crime fighting tool.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Tiny plastic bags used to sell small quantities of heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana and other drugs would be banned in Chicago, under a crackdown advanced Tuesday by a City Council committee.
    a crackdown...
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links