Any thoughts on the FL. Wendy's incident?

This is a discussion on Any thoughts on the FL. Wendy's incident? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondered if there were any opinions regarding the latest shooting at a Wendy's in Florida? Does anyone know more on the shooter and his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on the FL. Wendy's incident?

Just wondered if there were any opinions regarding the latest shooting at a Wendy's in Florida? Does anyone know more on the shooter and his background?
    CCW Instructor: "Move your shots around, Ya keep hittin the same hole!"

Kimber ProCarry II HD SS - EDC
    Sig Sauer P232 - Better than Bond
    Ruger New Vaquero 7 1/2" 45LC - Wanna-B-A-Cowboy
    Henry Big Boy Repeating Rifle 45LC - Wanna-B-A-Long Distance Cowboy

Info released today, he was a landscaper.
    Had been on contract to a private school here in Palm Beach county.
    They were looking to replace him, as he had not shown up at the school for 3 weeks.

Can you believe this could have happened in the school instead.

My opinion is I feel sorry for the firefighter and I'm pissed a CCW wasn't in the store at the time of the event.

And people ask why we want to be armed.........

+ 1
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
    Just wondered if there were any opinions regarding the latest shooting at a Wendy's in Florida?
    Anyone anytime anywhere by any means by anybody be they crazy, 'depressed', criminal, or even by negligent 'accident'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1

I don't think a permit holder or even a cop could have done anything to stop the situation. It sounds like he pretty much just walked out of the restroom, opened up and sprayed the inside of the restaurant, then offed himself.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    +1

I don't think a permit holder or even a cop could have done anything to stop the situation. It sounds like he pretty much just walked out of the restroom, opened up and sprayed the inside of the restaurant, then offed himself.
    Can't say that without being there, but situational awareness might have saved a life....you never know. Folks thought he was acting strange, at least in the first reports I heard.

The likelyhood of anyone, read me or you, being around when something like this happens is very very small. BUT, this is an excellent example of why everybody should keep their eye on everybody around them at all times. If you see someone acting strange don't ignore it. I know I am paying more attention to my surroundings than I used to do. A lot more.

Every time another incident like this happens, I catch myself hoping that there was a civilian ccw there and they intervened and stopped it. That usually doesn't happen. I find it curious that in the state of Florida that there wasn't one ccw holder there at that Wendy's. Florida is commonly held up by the Brady Bunch as having far too many civilian ccw holders. But none were there to stop this madness.

I guess it is just the frustration factor that is present in all these stories. I just want someone to be there who is willing to take a stand and stop the murderer. Instead, all we ever hear about is how the people cowered under the tables because that was all they could do.
    It was all they could do because they bought into all the crap that makes them believe that the police can protect them from people like this when they should have all been carrying their own weapons to protect themselves and their loved ones with.

I'll stop ranting now. I have to go to bed....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I STRONGLY believe that the managers at fast food restaurants should be allowed to CCW if they can legally obtain their permit. but... companies rather protect their money and insurence costs... rather than peoples lives...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Administrator
    There very well might have been a ccw in the joint; most people freeze when shots are fired. From what I understand, this one was over just as fast as it began.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    There very well might have been a ccw in the joint; most people freeze when shots are fired. From what I understand, this one was over just as fast as it began.
    I agree, if someone was armed in the store they may not have had time to do anything and running sheep can cause serious "Target Acquisition" problems.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    I agree, if someone was armed in the store they may not have had time to do anything and running sheep can cause serious "Target Acquisition" problems.
    yeah...
    true...
    plus overpennitration would be rough...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

VIP Member
    One witness said the shooter paused for reloading.

Wendy's Witness: Shooter Had "Blank, Scared Look"
    WEST PALM BEACH (CBS4) ― The gunman who killed a Palm Beach County firefighter Monday, shot 4 other people, and then killed himself stood in the West Palm Beach Wendy's with a 'blank, scared look' as he prepared to shoot more people, said a firefighter who was eating lunch in the restaurant when the gunman opened fire.

Palm Beach County fire-rescue Captain Ernie Muller said Thursday that he is doing his best to cope with what he saw that day when a colleague with whom he had spoken was shot and killed moments later by Alburn Blake, a 60-year-old maintenance man to sprayed the restaurant with gunfire before taking his own life.

Muller, who is on light duty due to an injury, said he spoke with Lt. Rafael Vazquez as he was leaving the restaurant with his wife and 4-year-old son.

"I was just getting ready to start my meal when at that time I heard three gunshots in rapid succession," Muller told reporters Thursday. "I looked up and I saw the gunman standing there with his arm outstretched firing at random throughout the restaurant."

Muller said he hut the floor as Blake continued shooting, counting the shots to determine when the gunman might be out of ammunition.

When he counted 14, "I stood up, and I saw the gunman was trying to get the clip out of his gun. At that point, I told the couple in front of me to go now, and I exited the restaurant from the other side from where he was."

Muller's thought was to get to safety and call for help, but as he fled the restaurant he got a good look at the Gunman's face.

"It was a blank, scared look," Muller said. "I looked at him on the way out. At that time he was reloading his clip again. I was out of the restaurant for about 5 seconds when I heard another 5 or 6 shots."

Muller said he didn't know Lt. Vazquez had returned to the restaurant, and did not see him get shot. He learned of the tragedy from another firefighter.

"My former partner was one of the firet people in to triage the victims, and he came out and informed me it was Ray," Muller said.

After Muller left the restaurant he helped plan the rescue efforts with the units that arrived. He had warned the department at least 6 people were hurt, but it turned out there were fewer victims than he expected.

Muller said it may have been the way Blake was shooting.

"When I saw the gunman waving the gun in the shots I saw he had the gun up high, where everyone was on the ground, so he may just have been firing randomly too high," he said.

Muller indicated the death toll could have been much higher if Blake had acted differently.

"I understand 5 people were shot, but with the people on the ground he could have as easily gone and shot people point blank, which he didn't do," Muller said. "I think he had the gun up the entire time he was shooting, actually."

Muller said his family and his fire department family are helping him cope with what he witnessed. When he's busy, he said, things are fun. It's when he has time to think that he has some trouble dealing with the shooting.

"It's been difficult," he said. "It's gonna be a while before life gets back to normal for all of us."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    And at least somebody has a half decent idea in the aftermath:

Palm Beach County official wants retired cops to carry guns -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links