What do you know about Private Investigators

This is a discussion on What do you know about Private Investigators within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I'm journying down the college career path, and have no idea what i want to do. I've always wanted a sweet job where I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: What do you know about Private Investigators

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    774

    What do you know about Private Investigators

    Well I'm journying down the college career path, and have no idea what i want to do. I've always wanted a sweet job where I got to do un-average things all day. I think it might be a pretty cool job. I tried really hard to get on with some P.I.'s in my area, but no one wants a college student who is unlicensed. Just wonderning if anyone knew anything about being a P.I. or knew somone in the greater PHX area that wanted to emply a hard working college student Any info is appreciated thanks.

    SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member Array AZ Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    4,244
    Tough job to get into! Every state's licensing requirements are different, but usually you have to prove actual investigative experience, either through law enforcement or working under another PI. I retired from the S.O. and got my PI license for something to do and earn a little extra cash. I had twenty years experience being someone who I wasn't, so it was natural for me to get into infiltrations.

    The bread and butter divorce cases are all but over, most states have no-fault divorces now. You can do OK as an accident reconstructionist, but again, takes years of experience to make your testimony stick in court. It's nothing like TV...hours of tedious boredom and five minutes of excitement once in a while. Cities like Phoenix are really tough to make a living in. Seems like every retired FBI and CIA agent retires here and starts their own practice. Pretty hard to compete against their extensive contacts.

    In AZ, you'll have to be able to prove at least three years full-time investigative experience before you can even apply for your own license. Most guys who hold their own license don't like to hire a newby, you have to license them under your business, and are responsible for everything they do. I made a ton of money off ambulance chasing personal injury attorneys. In AZ, it's illegal for a PI to solicit business for an attorney, but being a witness can make you money.

    It's possible to get the experience needed to apply for your own license by working as an in-house gopher/investigative aid for an attorney, but I think they're cracking down on that. It's a feast or famine occupation. You've got to have a specialty or rare area of expertise to make it. Probably the best way in would be to join a local PD as a reserve. You'll have to do one of the academies, possibly in one of the Community Colleges.

    Heck, if you get that far, stay in PD work. There are no benefits, no paid vacations or sick leave, no expense accounts, nothing for a self-employed PI. Kinda like bar tending, it's a great second job, but you don't want to rely on it for a living. Keep searching young scribe!
    Last edited by JD; March 7th, 2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Spaced out text for easier reading.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

  4. #3
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,620
    If this is the route you want to take, take a look at working in a law office (both sides of the fence employ inv.) or insurance companies. A lot of them will take on a student to do the day to day tasks of investigations working under a real detective.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array David in FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Tough job to get into! Every state's licensing requirements are different, but usually you have to prove actual investigative experience, either through law enforcement or working under another PI. I retired from the S.O. and got my PI license for something to do and earn a little extra cash. I had twenty years experience being someone who I wasn't, so it was natural for me to get into infiltrations. The bread and butter divorce cases are all but over, most states have no-fault divorces now. You can do OK as an accident reconstructionist, but again, takes years of experience to make your testimony stick in court. It's nothing like TV...hours of tedious boredom and five minutes of excitement once in a while. Cities like Phoenix are really tough to make a living in. Seems like every retired FBI and CIA agent retires here and starts their own practice. Pretty hard to compete against their extensive contacts. In AZ, you'll have to be able to prove at least three years full-time investigative experience before you can even apply for your own license. Most guys who hold their own license don't like to hire a newby, you have to license them under your business, and are responsible for everything they do. I made a ton of money off ambulance chasing personal injury attorneys. In AZ, it's illegal for a PI to solicit business for an attorney, but being a witness can make you money. It's possible to get the experience needed to apply for your own license by working as an in-house gopher/investigative aid for an attorney, but I think they're cracking down on that. It's a feast or famine occupation. You've got to have a specialty or rare area of expertise to make it. Probably the best way in would be to join a local PD as a reserve. You'll have to do one of the academies, possibly in one of the Community Colleges. Heck, if you get that far, stay in PD work. There are no benefits, no paid vacations or sick leave, no expense accounts, nothing for a self-employed PI. Kinda like bartending, it's a great second job, but you don't want to rely on it for a living. Keep searching young scribe!
    I have no need or interest in a PI job, but I have to admit, I found that interesting and insightful!

  6. #5
    Member Array Sonic Misfit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    422
    If you are looking for a career in investigations that you might find interesting, learn about becoming a Certified Fraud Examiner. They are in demand.

    Here is a web site you need to visit: Association of Certified Fraud Examiners

    I have been a member of the ACFE for a long time. I am not certified but I do like their seminars and it helped me learn a lot of things that helped in consulting. Great organization and a fine career.

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    Check out this site National Association of Fraud Investigators. Great bunch of guys, willing to help out. Do you have a knack for something special, special backround ? I have an app pending with NYS for a PI license. My family has been in the car rental business for the last 37 years, in many times over those years people have forgotten to return my vehicles so I have develop ways to find people who don't want to be found. Here is NYS it is the typical thing of 3 years experance. You can work 10 hours a week for 10 years in order to make the 3 years experance count. My uncle owns a PI firm, I work part time there too. People are kinda funny when the don't realize they are being watched.

  8. #7
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    What do you know about Private Investigators
    1. The calling has peaked my interest more than once
    2. The hours are endless
    3. The pay is very good (from what I hear)
    4. The burnout/dropout rate seems to extend to three years (from what I hear)

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    1,692
    Just tossin' it out there...

    Might think about doing Security Clearance background investigations. The government contracts out to people local to do it. I'm not sure where the pool comes from but I've heard some really good stories from those guys about 'unnamed respondents.' As far as anything else, I'll let the better-educated folks tell you. Though I'll ask around with friends in Phoenix this weekend.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array matiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.W.
    Posts
    2,918
    +1 to AZ's comments.

    PI's have to:

    - Generate their own business (drum up new clients)
    - Run their business (be a capable business person)
    - Be a good investigator
    - Have enough of a cash buffer to get through lean times

    Most of the PI's I've met that eventually failed in their endeavors, failed to run their business well, network and drum up business.

    If you don't want to go the LE route to get into PI work, I would recommend going the corporate route. As others have mentioned, becoming a CFE is a good step. After you have some experience you can get your PCI or PSP from ASIS, which will help with your networking as well as get your foot in the door for a lot of good corporate jobs, should you change your mind about being a PI.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

  11. #10
    1943 - 2009
    Array Captain Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    10,371
    Remember, PIs in the real world bear no resemblance whatsoever to Magnum, P.I. or Simon & Simon.


    When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

    Rudyard Kipling


    Terry

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    774
    Luckily i'm not old enough to know either one of those
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

  13. #12
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,394
    It is a shame that you don't know who Magnum PI is, it should be required viewing for all Americans
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  14. #13
    VIP Member Array HKinNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nassau, NY(Long Island)
    Posts
    2,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Remember, PIs in the real world bear no resemblance whatsoever to Magnum, P.I. or Simon & Simon.
    and you don't get a car like K.I.T.T.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    It is a shame that you don't know who Magnum PI is, it should be required viewing for all Americans
    It was Tom Selleck right? Crazy guy with the mustache? I think i know who he is, but never watched that show, but if you say it should be required then I will flip thru TV land today and see if I can DVR an episode or two.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

  16. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,394
    Netflix has it, of course the first season was 1980 the last 3 were the best.

    Tom Selleck is Matthew Quigley from Quigley Down Under which if you like rifles you need to watch also.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Investigators: Girl Not Killed By Service Gun (LEO)
    By Janq in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 10:30 PM
  2. Any private investigators out there?
    By SIlverFire in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 7th, 2009, 12:40 PM
  3. Any private investigators in Florida here?
    By 1911luver in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM
  4. Investigators said the incident was a case of poor judgment. Ya think???
    By paramedic70002 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 5th, 2007, 02:43 AM

Search tags for this page

attorney can prove my 3years expirient for my pi lic

Click on a term to search for related topics.