Another "Spend My Money" Thread

This is a discussion on Another "Spend My Money" Thread within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, I'm heading back to Baghdad in a few months, which means (among other things) a lot more disposable income. Rather than save, pay down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "Spend My Money" Thread

VIP Member

Another "Spend My Money" Thread

So, I'm heading back to Baghdad in a few months, which means (among other things) a lot more disposable income. Rather than save, pay down my mortgage, or anything else a responsible person would do, I'm planning on buying guns. I have a few "must buys" on the lest already, but am interested in the forum's opinions. Everything is on the table...

Things I am already getting (possibly in this order):

New AR in 5.56 from a top tier manufacturer - feel free to convince me of one maker over another, with these restrictions: 14.5-16"bbl, falt top, railed gas block (no front sight post).

DPMS SASS, just for (lots of) fun.

Semi-auto shotgun, leaning towards a Benelli M4, but not married to the model.

Sig P226 X-Five All Around. This will be for HD, supplemental IPSC/IDPA, and fun at the range. My duty weapon is a Sig DA/SA, so I want the same exact manual of arms for any weapon that I "game" with.

Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions - just be sure you have a reason (though it doesn't have to be a good reason...)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    *Cough* *Cough*

Reason: Everybody should have at least one.

Rather than save, pay down my mortgage, or anything else a responsible person would do, I'm planning on buying guns.
    You are wise beyond your years grasshoppa! Now who can argue with that?

How practical does your new purchases have to be? Because I'd have to suggest an X-frame Smith. The wow factor is off the charts.

I definitely like your Benelli M4 suggestion. It's on my short list.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

For the shotgun, check out the Beretta Xtrema2. I finally got to shoot one last weekend and they are as nice as they proclaim to be.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Everyman needs a good bolt gun. And if you got the money to spend, heres what I'd do. Figure out what cartridge you want it in. Then order the barrel blank from Krieger or Lilja. Then go looking for a beat up Remmy 700 in the proper action length. Once you got that bring it all to the smith for a full blueprint on the action and rebarrel. While that's going on you can find the stock you want and bring it to him when he's done with the action work for a pillar bedding job and fitting for LOP. It'll end up costing you a bit, but you'll have one sweet rifle when you're done.

VIP Member
    JD - I'm contemplating starting a serious Sig colletion - I have the 228, 230, and 239 so far. If I get a 1911, are the Sigs serious contenders? Have the bugs been worked out?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I agree with a long rifle, but there is an easier method.

Welcome to Jarrett Rifles-Kenny Jarrett
    Kenny builds a wonderful rifle that is function as well as very accurate.

While I don’t know what calibers he producing today, I prefer 308, 270 or 7 mm magnum calibers because they produce less recoil, and yet are highly effective for taking 200 pound game. And with less recoil you’re more likely to target pink more.

Reason: When the chips are down, being able to provide for your family is essential. And being able to nail basket ball size targets at 4-500 yards can’t hurt security wise.

Ed Brown 1911

Ed Brown Products, Ed Brown Custom, rifles, 1911, parts

Just because I’ve always wanted one and never had the money

Barrett 50 Cal…

Barrett Rifles

Because if the liberals should ever take over we will no longer be able to buy one

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    JD - I'm contemplating starting a serious Sig colletion - I have the 228, 230, and 239 so far. If I get a 1911, are the Sigs serious contenders? Have the bugs been worked out?
    The last time I talked to a Sig rep, it was a guy that carried a Heinie 1911, not a NHC Heinie, but a real Heinie. He gave the Sig GSRs a thumbs up.

I haven't been keeping tabs on them, but I think it would be a safe guess (if there is such a thing) that they should be good to go.

However, you will need to make sure that you're getting a newer gun.

IIRC, Late production GSRs are now minus the "man hole" cover on the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    New AR in 5.56 from a top tier manufacturer - feel free to convince me of one maker over another, with these restrictions: 14.5-16"bbl, falt top, railed gas block (no front sight post).
    Noveske N4 Light Carbine, Low Profile. Fit and finish are exceptional. Performance is phenomenal. Call for LE/MIL pricing.

Thinking about a 1911? Get a Nighthawk or a Springfield Professional.

Oh, and stay safe.

Senior Moderator
    If I had the funds I would try to aquire all of the small arms isuued by the US during WW2
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

DPMS SASS. I'm in love with mine. I think my old lady is getting jealous.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I think a pair of N4 light carbines would be a good idea. Also, instead of the M4 I'd look at the M2. I don't think the gas assisted operation of the M4 is worth the extra parts. I've got the M1S90 and I've been issued the M1014 (M4) and my impression was that it cycles slower, is harder to clean, heavier (a lot) and I didn't like the buttstock at all, but I don't know if you can get the collapsible on the civilian ones or not. The corner poked me right on the cheekbone - real uncomfortable. I like the Sig idea - also maybe you should get a few dozen lowers (just in case) and a few hundred extra mags.....

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If you don't reload already, you might consider spending some of the "extra money" (now there is a concept!) on a good reloading setup. The Dillon 550B comes to mind as covering about any cartridge you might shoot. I have one of those for all the handgun ammo and a Redding single stage (that I use for varmint rifle cartridges).

IMO, the best all around home defense gun SIG makes is the 9mm P226 SCT. The 4" barrel is plenty for HD and less likely to provide leverage to someone trying to take it away than a 5" barrel, it comes with four (4) 20 round magazines. Has a rail for a light and can be fitted with CT laser grips. The weight of the P226 is perfect for very accurate rapid fire with 9mm cartridges probably because it was designed from the ground up to be a 9mm which is very popular in Europe.

Rational (as if any was "really" necessary):

In this day and age of multiple invaders, 20 rounds with out having to reload is a big feature. The mag pouch on the jammies is uncomfortable, causes lost rest, and not needed if the gun has 20 rounds in it already.

9mm won't over penetrate and take out the neighbors but it will do a job on the perps.

A rail light permits positive ID and avoids tragic mistakes. A bright one - 120 lumen's or more, will almost certainly temporarily blind a dark adapted assailant if they are flashed in the eyes at 15 or 20 feet. I tried flashing mine at myself in the bathroom mirror one night and couldn't see much of anything but spots for about 3 seconds. It actually hurt. 3 seconds can be a life time in a gun fight - a huge advantage.

The CT sight allows shots when a clear sight picture isn't possible, permits covering a perp with out taking eyes off hands, and a perp that advances after seeing the dot has demonstrated intent.

And it is a SIG. The weight makes very accurate 9mm rapid fire possible, the DA/SA means there is no safety to mess with, pick it up and you are ready to defend you and yours, and they are as reliable as gravity.

I like Mossberg 500 pump shotguns with a side saddle spare cartridge carrier and the Stream light fore end (available from Brownell's). They are simple, reliable as gravity, and easy to operate. Or, you can buy a Wilson that does the same thing for ~3X the price.

The other thing that comes to mind is a good bolt gun as mentioned before. They are more fun than an AR for me at least. One can hunt with a bolt gun in PA but not a semi-auto rifle or handgun of any kind.

Finally, a good revolver single or double action (I enjoy both of them) can be a lot of fun to shoot. It doesn't have to be a flame belching testosterone special to be fun - a tuned up Ruger GP100, or a .45LC RedHawk and a single stage reloading press and you can have hours of fun. Or a Premium Grade Freedom Arms in .454 Casull or .475 Linebaugh if you insist on a wrist sprainer.

Fitch

To make your collection complete you have to have a 556. That is a sweet rifle!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links