Are Gun Shows Really Worth the Visit?

This is a discussion on Are Gun Shows Really Worth the Visit? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have never been to a North Texas gun show & was thinking about visiting the one at Will Rogers in Ft. Worth, Texas tomorrow. ...

Thread: Are Gun Shows Really Worth the Visit?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I have never been to a North Texas gun show & was thinking about visiting the one at Will Rogers in Ft. Worth, Texas tomorrow. I am in the market for a new (first) holster for my Springfield XD40. I am thinking about a Comp-Tac or a SERPA.

Will the holsters be discounted vs. buying at a retail store?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I doubt it. I would just order direct from comptac, I doubt anybody will even have comptac holsters at a show.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have been to Will Rogers for the last two very unimpressive shows. If you want to gawk at a few (seems like fewer every time) guns than go. If your looking for a great deal on a holster than order online. You'll pay $7.00 just to get in the gun show. Money you could have spent on shipping. Half of the booths don't even have guns in them let alone holsters. Seems to me that they should call it the used magazine, and cheapo knife show. I have noticed a definite quality decline in this gun show. We can blame the Brady's if it makes you feel better.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Come out to PHX, the gun shows are always great here... or maybe I'm just too in love with guns. I think they are great fun; however, if you are going to buy one you need to have done your research. For instance I saw every kind of G17 (gen 1-3 including 2.5) for every price, and make sure you walk the whole place before buying your gun. As far as holsters go, you'll see a lot of nylon, and maybe some custom leather, but no comptacs.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

$5 to park + $8 entry fee + $6 hot dog + $4 coke = $23 to find out you could buy the same holster (if you can find one) for $10 cheaper online.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

You won't find comp-tacs at the show, it's best to order from them directly. Their customer service is outstanding. I don't know about Serpas, but everyone I know who has a comp-tac is happy with them.

My husband is on call this weekend or we'd probably go. Entry fee is $7.00, parking is free and they have decent concession foods (I like the nachos)! For us, its fun and cheaper than a movie and popcorn.

If you're going just for a holster, it probably wouldn't be worth the trip unless you like the window shopping! You never know what you'll come upon. My husband got a tac light for 1/4 of the normal price one time Schramm's & Bachman were having a huge price war at one of the gunshows.

Other times we've gone and not bought a thing gun related. We came home with a used Sling Blade DVD and 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies at a gun show we visited recently.

Short answer: sometimes.
    If you're going looking for a firearm---maybe. I've come away with some good deals on firearms-pistols, rifles, shotguns. Done my fair share of trades also that I've come out the better on.
    Looking for cheap ammo? usually I've picked up on discounts for reloading components, cheap factory ammo, ammo by the case discounts, and discounted prices on PD ammo.
    Looking for quality holsters? not often
    Looking for gun parts/accessories? most of the time
    Looking for used/cheap magazines? most of the time
    Looking for candy, jerky, jewelry, beanie babies, military surplus, stickers, books, political bumper stickers/t-shirts? most always
    I've actually asked for a refund of my admission before, and I've gotten back $5 one time. Me and gun shows have this love/hate thing. Last one I attended was worth it to me because I picked up on several accessories I needed at the best prices I've seen.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; March 8th, 2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: punctuation

Administrator
    I have much better luck at the private collectors "club" shows.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For me it's like going to a car show, too expensive to buy there but lots of guns to drool over, (Eastern PA). The show sizes range from 200 - 800 tables within 20 minutes driving distance. Within an hour are much larger shows regularly throughout the year.

What I appreciate most about the gun shows is if I am looking for some obscure part, or researching a particular gun or comparing guns, there are usually plenty of examples to handle before I buy private or at my favorite FFL.

The best gun show find I bought was a Crosman BB gun like I had as a boy. It's now in my safe. We are flush with Moisn-Nagants, Mausers, Lugers, Beretas, Garands, etc. at "reasonable" prices. Maybe 10 - 15% over what they should be.

The only show I go to in DFW is the one at Dallas Market Hall held 3 or 4 times a year. I quit going to the Will Rogers' shows years ago since I don't have any interest in turquoise jewelry, ball caps with rattlesnake heads on them, beef jerky, and model airplanes. Sometimes they mix in some guns for sale as well but the prices are usually like any place else. I usually would walk the whole show in less than 30 minutes.

It seems like they hold a show there every other month.

This weekend Will Roger's is hosting an antiques show in the same hall so expect the parking to be ridiculous.

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Good info- I will sit this one out and call Comp-Tac instead. :)

Links