The junk mail ploys

The junk mail ploys

This is a discussion on The junk mail ploys within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Looking at this morning's mail - as ever more junk than anything useful! "Open Immediately" "Time Sensitive Material" "Urgent" "Last Chance" "You are Pre-Approved" "You ...

Thread: The junk mail ploys

Assistant Administrator

The junk mail ploys

Looking at this morning's mail - as ever more junk than anything useful!

"Open Immediately"
    "Time Sensitive Material"
    "Urgent"
    "Last Chance"
    "You are Pre-Approved"
    "You have been selected"

Shucks - how much money is spent/wasted on all this - it's amazing. Much plays on folks ego - ''Oh wow - they have 'chosen' me''!! "I must be special''. Horse puckey! They want your cash!

Then all the ''Surveys'' - with, yeah - you guessed it - at the end the form with the ''your donation'' section. If I gave even $25 to each and every one of these I'd be bankrupt! I will only donate to RKBA stuff now.

Most tiresome aspect is - before I toss this stuff in the trash I have to waste time tearing off all name and address stuff - so I can shred it - because I am keen to avoid identity theft, and heaven knows on some stuff just what is contained in the various code numbers and bar codes etc.

Ok - that's my rant today! Well, the first
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I'd much rather get it in the mail than have those idiots calling on the phone.

And if they want to waste their money on me, who am I to stop them? Most of the folks I give money to don't bother me very often...... And if they start to, they get one warning, then I cut them off!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I get them from car dealers, credit cards etc. My email junk is getting worse, they call me by first name. I built filters and the only thing that did was either to give me errors on receiving or to hang up my email. So I just accept there is so much garbage in life and just discard it after coffee.
    ---
    As to telephone calls if I don't know the calling person it don't get answered.
    ---
    Between my spelling or lack there of and my fingers on the keyboard I do a lousy job.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    I have gotten very goood at identifying that crap without opening them. It takes me just a second to tear it in half and drop it in the trashcan, which is where I read all of my mail. It does cost them a lot of money, though....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    What you do Randy is what I would choose, except as I mentioned, all those seemingly innocuous bits of info within the address panel and other places.

I am maybe paranoid now, giving myself the task of keeping the address info for later shredding.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    We've got a shredder, will even handle CDs and credit cards.

Every few days the wife or I takes a few minutes to shred all the junk mail.

Did you know that they send you CHECKS, unsolicited, which are really second mortgage loans, that all you have to do is sign and deposit and you've taken out a second, or third or fourth mortgage?

What if somebody else got ahold of that check with my name on it??
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    Did you know that they send you CHECKS, unsolicited, which are really second mortgage loans, that all you have to do is sign and deposit and you've taken out a second, or third or fourth mortgage?

What if somebody else got ahold of that check with my name on it??
    If a piece of junkmail comes from someone I have an account with I do open them even if I know they are junk because of those checks. If it is from someone I don't have an account with and they send me checks, they are welcome to carefully tape the pieces together and try to cash them with my forged name. Since we just paid off all of our credit cards and only have a loan for one car and the house, I am in the process of cancelling a load of our cards. You might also want to sign up for one of the new identity theft services companies that notify you about what is going on and step in if something happens to get it cleared up.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

but it is still better than the phone calls that I use to get. I put them all in the shreader and use them for animal beding.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

We open all the junk mail and return all the pre-paid enclosed envelopes either empty, or with a two-word opinion enclosed. They pay postage only if used.

Sponsored Links