Texas Fisherman, input please.

This is a discussion on Texas Fisherman, input please. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've recently seen a few posts about folks inquiring as to where they should move, based on gun laws. Well, I figured I'd hop on ...

Thread: Texas Fisherman, input please.

Texas Fisherman, input please.

I've recently seen a few posts about folks inquiring as to where they should move, based on gun laws. Well, I figured I'd hop on the wagon. I know Texas is gun friendly. I like the state, and have some family in the Dallas area.

My question... while I've been to Texas a few times, I've never been there long enough to do somethings I'd really enjoy... So how is the catfish? Are they abundant? Growing up on the Mississippi I've come to love fishing them and eating them of course. Any favorite rivers, streams, or resevoirs that you know of that are especially good?

Sometime in the future I might be relocating, so since I know it's a pretty gun friendly state, the fishing is my next concern.

Thanks.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

2. Remove Ads

If you like Dallas, we have plenty of lakes to choose from. I live right off Lake Lewisville and there are plenty of catfish, bass, blue gil, etc...Fishing is great. If you choose a more rural area, any ranchers pond is a good place to start...Pretty much a knock on the door away, and a promise to pick up your beer cans. Plenty of rivers to choose from, and salt water fishing out of Galveston is amazing. You can find pretty much anything you are looking for as far as fishing. And we got some really good hunting, too.

Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Fishing & Boating
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

That's good to know, thanks. I'm not committed to the Dallas area necessarily, but it's what I'm most familiar with as of right now.

I've heard the Texas hunting was good too. I love callin coyotes, and know there's a bunch down there. I'd also love to get into hog hunting, if they're around. I know they're abundant in Southern Missouri and Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
    That's good to know, thanks. I'm not committed to the Dallas area necessarily, but it's what I'm most familiar with as of right now.

I've heard the Texas hunting was good too. I love callin coyotes, and know there's a bunch down there. I'd also love to get into hog hunting, if they're around. I know they're abundant in Southern Missouri and Arkansas.
    If you like hog hunting, we got that, too...
    HUNTING HOGS IN TEXAS AND TRAPPING WILD HOGS BOAR HUNTING TEXAS TRAPPING WILD BOAR
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Excellent. I'd love to get into it. I get a little weak in the knees when it comes to chops and pulled pork roast.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that the BBQ in TX is the best, anywhere, hands down. Not to mention Texas Chili Cook-offs... I believe I will have to add that to the other "What state to choose?" threads...

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I think just about anywhere in the Southern states you will find catfish.........in Texas they're just BIGGER.
    Last edited by Reborn; March 11th, 2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Fishing is good here. Bass is the main freshwater game fish. We have our share of yellow and blue cats. Also have some nice sized gar (upwards to 8ft). Of course there is crappie, and perch, some lakes/river stock trout (and there are reports of some breeding occuring in the Guadalupe below Canyon damn). I think there may be some pike, in north Texas, just as there might be some Paddle fish in one estuary area (very protected species).

Personally, I would suggest coastal fishing - we have a lot of inshore fishing in Texas - which means redfish, trout, and flounder (and some shook). In a few places their are some tarpon - major work on restoration of those, after the resteration of Redfish was such a huge success. Offshore we have plenty of bigger fish as well.
    -
    But yes, we have some catfish, although probably not that many over 100lbs. Fairly common to find 40-60 lbs ones. We caught a 35lb one in my tank 2 years ago.

Best barbque? That may be debateable. I gotta stick up for Kansas City. hah.

8 foot gar?! Dang... We've got quite a bit of those, although I've never run into any that big. I'm always cussin em for cutting my trot lines.

My best friend used to work at a wildlife refuge. One year it was a bit dry and their river gave birth to an 10 acre oxbow lake, that had finally turned into a pond. They went fishing with baseball bats and handguns (I think a few were in jon boats - most were wading). I saw the stakes they cut from them, but did not the full fish. He said the larger ones were in pretty bad shape - a bit of cannibalism had already been going on.

I visited him a little after that - and got to see all the baby gators - maw and paw had already migrated, But that pond must have had over 100 pairs of eyes in it - all on 3-4 ft babies. The babies probably migrated a little after that - an option those poor gar in the other pond did not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Spenser View Post
    Best barbque? That may be debateable.
    Sir, I would recommend Bosnia, California, or Illinois...with that kind of attitiude you would not do too well in TX.

P.S. It's not debatable.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; March 11th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

Who is John Galt?

I'm mainly a saltwater guy where there are a lot of speckled trout, redfish, black drum, and of course, flounder (verrry tasty). we fish out of Rockport and Port Aransas mainly.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    The Neches River,Sam Rayburn Lake and Dam B are good spots for fishing.You can view the whole state with Google Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Sir, I would recommend Bosnia, California, or Illinois...with that kind of attitiude you would not do too well in TX.

P.S. It's not debatable.
    OUCH!

Links