Rumor Central/Ammo

This is a discussion on Rumor Central/Ammo within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just heard from a gunsmith friend in Florida that the Brady Bunch is buying up as much mil-surp ammo (spam cans) as they can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rumor Central/Ammo

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Rumor Central/Ammo

I just heard from a gunsmith friend in Florida that the Brady Bunch is buying up as much mil-surp ammo (spam cans) as they can (at double market value) and then destroying it. The objective is to "rid society of the ammunition that feeds the evil guns."

Not sure how true this is or how to verify, but it might explain why spam cans are getting harder and harder to find. It also might explain another part of prices soaring. If this is true, does this mean that Brady has finally realized the organization cannot rid society of guns?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    sounds like conspiracy theories to me.

If you buy a product you actually support the market for it. If you buy more, manufactures tend to make more, thus increasing supply prices go down. However, as demand increases prices then go up. Market forces are affected by multiple things. In all honesty I don't see how one organzination could buy that much ammuntion do really create a big dent in the overall market. You would really have to be buying it like Big Green does.

If they are doing that they are only really supporting ammuntion. In the long wrong this will cause somebody else to get wiser and start producing there own ammuntion thus increasing supply. Granted Raw materials are going up but who doesn't say innovation kicks in and allows a new product to be used that doesn't require the same costly materials.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    They aren't going to be able to get all the ammo either. Sooner of later the Brady Bunch will run out of money.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I agree Rob, but you can't interject logic into a liberal discussion - they don't seem to get it. It's most likely a crock, but their line of thinking is, and always will be:
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

from what I understand is the government is buying up surplus ammo but to send it to Iraq . The guns the Iraqy military has , shoots this ammo so its cheaper to buy the surplus to give to them than to send them new ammo..

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerdd2 View Post
    from what I understand is the government is buying up surplus ammo but to send it to Iraq . The guns the Iraqy military has , shoots this ammo so its cheaper to buy the surplus to give to them than to send them new ammo..
    US Military is a big buyer. Have not heard a thing about any anti-gun groups buying ammo.

New ammo production cannot keep up with demand, seems like that's why Lake City is building on. Surplus is out there, but you'd have to buy containers at a time to challenge the big purchasers.

The Brady Bunch wishes they had that kind of money.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    I wish I had that kind of money
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Unhappy

Sorry, I bought a case last month. I didn't mean to make the price go up.
    -Biker

If the bradys are buying ammo to destroy it, i will volunteer to destroy as much as i can possbly shoot in my handguns and AR-15's

How does one go about volunteering to be a 'destroyer' anyhow? Rumors---rumors are rumors and the thing about rumors is how they get started--next thing you know they become truth because the unscrupulous run out in a panic moment--buy ammo in large quantities at already inflated prices---that makes the demand high enough to start seeing a black market and possible double prices. Neither of which would be a good scenario. I definitely need some more 45acp though.

If...IF...the rumor were true, I wonder if they'd be disposing of the lead properly. Sic the EPA on 'em

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    If...IF...the rumor were true, I wonder if they'd be disposing of the lead properly. Sic the EPA on 'em

-JT
    Now there's a good intention! The environment is our friend! Yeah--I hope they are following the
    letter of the law with those "disposal arrangements"---besides--wouldn't they be required to have some form of license to have so much ammo in their possession? An armory license or something? What if a load of that stuff went up while being transported on a public roadway? I say sic everyone on 'em!

Ahhhhh.... Conspiracy theories.... I love 'em!!!

Here's how its going to work though. The brady bunch is buying up as much ammo as they can. This, of course, raises the price becaue of free market supply and demand. They will, however, run out of $$$ eventually. When that happens, the price of ammo will plummet. The manufacturers will suddenly be producing large amounts of ammo to meet the demand, but the demand will suddenly be gone, and they will have to slash prices or sit on this stuff for a long long time.

Meanwhile, the manufacturers will have lots of disposable income to help fight the very group that gave them all of this money.

Ahhhhh.... if only it were true. I can just see the giant sales right now.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I wish the rumor was true. They don't have bottomless pockets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links