Powerful Tornado Damages Downtown Atlanta

This is a discussion on Powerful Tornado Damages Downtown Atlanta within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/15/us...tlanta.html?hp Will gun confiscations ensue?...

Thread: Powerful Tornado Damages Downtown Atlanta

Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I kind of doubt it...I'd hate to work door to door in Atlanta for any reason, much less to tell them they need to hand over their guns.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    F2 is hardly a powerful tornado . . . doesn't sound like the damage is so bad that the government will feel the need to get too big for its britches.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

My parents were actually in the Georgia Dome (watching Mississippi State play in the SEC Tourney) when the tornado hit. I checked Drudge right before I went to bed last night, and there was the headline. I freaked and called my folks (both in their late 60s) and they were fine, but they'd had a heckuva night. My mom said the first thing she thought of when she heard the roaring and saw the roof shaking, etc. was "TERRORISTS!" Ha... sorry, I know there's nothing funny about terrorists, but that cracked me up. Time to wean off the FOX News, mom.

They were locked in the Georgia Dome for TWO HOURS (which to me would have brought back way too many New Orleans "terrordome" fears), then they came on the loudspeaker and told everyone they had exactly 15 minutes to evacuate the stadium. Believe it or not, it was fairly ordered and uneventful.

When they got out on the street, they said the police had everything on lockdown, (probably to prevent any looting, etc.), and they had to walk the 1/2 mile back to their hotel.

My parents, in their late 60's, walking a half-mile through a storm damaged downtown Atlanta at dang-near midnight, our time. That picture is not one that makes me very comfortable. Thank God they came out fine.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Amen. Glad they're okay.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich View Post
    F2 is hardly a powerful tornado . . . doesn't sound like the damage is so bad that the government will feel the need to get too big for its britches.
    sure it doesn't sound like much, but in a built up and heavily populated city, an F1 has the potential to wreak havoc. Never underestimate the forces of nature.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My mother-in-law lives about 30 minutes west of Atlanta, she said the sirens went off at 2 & 5 am. She said she had everything unplugged in the house and sat in the dark with a flashlight? WTH? She's 85 and said that's what her husband used to do. But she's fine.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links