Why I won't be getting married in India

Why I won't be getting married in India

This is a discussion on Why I won't be getting married in India within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Couple Fined for Kissing After Marriage Ceremony in Pushkar, India Well, when you visit another country, you're bound by their laws.... even the weird ones.... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Thumbs down Why I won't be getting married in India

Couple Fined for Kissing After Marriage Ceremony in Pushkar, India

Well, when you visit another country, you're bound by their laws.... even the weird ones....

NEW DELHI*Sep 21, 2005 *India may be the land of the Kamasutra, the ancient treatise on sex, but public displays of affection remain strictly taboo in the country's hinterlands, as an Israeli couple found out.

They were fined 500 Indian rupees ($11) each for embracing and kissing after getting married in a traditional Hindu ceremony in the northwestern Indian town Pushkar, the Asian Age newspaper reported Wednesday.

The Israeli Embassy in New Delhi confirmed the incident and identified the couple as Alon Orpaz and Tehila Salev, who decided to get married while visiting India. The embassy did not provide additional details.

The Asian Age said priests at Pushkar's Brahma temple were so incensed when the couple smooched as hymns were still being chanted that they filed a police complaint.

A court in Pushkar then charged them with indecency and ordered them to pay the fine or face 10 days in prison, the newspaper reported. The couple decided to pay, it said.

"We will not tolerate any cultural pollution of this sort," the newspaper quoted a priest, Ladoo Ram Sharma, as saying.

Asian Age reported that the priests planned to ask the government to require tourists to be appropriately dressed when visiting the holy town and its temples.

Pushkar, located on the banks of Pushkar Lake, is a popular Hindu pilgrimage spot that's also frequented by foreign tourists, who come for the town's annual cattle fair and camel races.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Well, I hope you're not thinkin' you can do all that huggin' and kissin' in Nashville just because your married!

Administrator

Thumbs up I'll make a deal with you

You mail me 500 rupees (EACH...NOW!) that's 1,000 rupees TOTAL AKA 22 Indian Bucks & you two can do whatever you want.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    "We will not tolerate any cultural pollution of this sort,"
    Whoooo - my oh my - can't be having that now can we?!

I'm surprised then that holding hands is not regarded as one click below ''the real thing" - shucks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Jezz what would these people do if we decided none of there stuff here .. No head gear speak english only etc etc

You guys are missing the whole point, they have an annual cattle fair and camel races. What could be more exciting to a young couple than a spitting noisy camel race?? A once in a lifetime event for that couple who never got very far from home.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Are the losing Cattle made into steaks and burgers after words if not ferget it waste of time ..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Are the losing Cattle made into steaks and burgers after words if not ferget it waste of time ..
    Bud, this INDIA we are talking about. The losers just become minor gods.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

im sorry my bad

VIP Member
    Betty, if you think the Indian weddings are bad, wait till you see what happens at an Indian funeral if your hubby kicks the bucket first!

Or do they still do that funeral pyre thing?
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Their country, their rules. Wouldn't want them comming over here and raising a stink about cheeseburgers, would we?

Would have been nice if somebody had warned them, though... but I suppose it was just as strange for them to have somebody kiss in public as the idea that it's illegal is to us. Probably never occured to them that a warning was required.

When I was in Iraq last time one of our interpreters told me that in the backcountry fundamentalist Islamic area where we were if you had to talk to someone (another male) about your wife or other female reletive, or an animal you started out with "I'm sorry..." so it goes "I'm sorry, but my wife...", I'm sorry, but my sister....", "I'm sorry, but my cow...", "I'm sorry, but my goat...". You were apologizing to the other guy for mentioning or discussing an animal or a female human in front of him. Most of Iraq isn't that way, but even in the cities where they had dance clubs and bars you had to be careful what family the girl you were dancing with came from... easy to end up facing her father, 3 brothers and 2 uncles in an alley with AKs. But then that can happen in some parts of the US, right?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    and the world says we Americans are uptight about sex.
    $11 for a kiss at your wedding, I'll pay it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter
    and the world says we Americans are uptight about sex.
    $11 for a kiss at your wedding, I'll pay it.

AFS
    Yup, $11 wold be worth it. Although a respect for other cultures and traditions are what makes this country so tolerant off its mix of citizens.

VIP Member
    Looking back through the years, $11 a kiss seems like a bargain, now.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

TA, we stopped doing the funeral pyre thing. And the reason they were fined is not because of a public display of affection, but because it was on holy grounds. If they had kissed away from the temple people would have looked at them a little funny, but nothing would have happened. (Public displays of affection are still kind of frowned upon in India.)

A1C Lickey

P.S.- this source is semi-reliable. I'm half Indian, have lived there, and my dog tags say Hindu on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links