A very old, dusty pickup

A very old, dusty pickup

This is a discussion on A very old, dusty pickup within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A long time ago, grandpa bought the remains of a 1925 Model T pickup and began to restore it. I was quite young at the ...

Thread: A very old, dusty pickup

VIP Member

A very old, dusty pickup

A long time ago, grandpa bought the remains of a 1925 Model T pickup and began to restore it. I was quite young at the time, but I remember watching him working steadily away in the barn, sanding things, grinding things, and screwing things back together on the rusty heap. Eventually, with a lot of hand cranks, sputters and wheezes, out of the barn rolled a half-assembled Model T. The grandkids piled in, and down the back road we puttered.

Puttata-tuttata-tutatta-plunkata

The horn sounded like, "OOooooga!"

The last pieces eventually fell into place. Grandpa rebuilt the bed of the pickup and he bought a reproduction soft top, and next thing you know, the little T was turning heads in local parades.

The last time it ran was in an Easter parade in 1996. The Easter Bunny was in the back of the truck, waving at the crowds. Afterwards it was parked in dad’s warehouse, where it quietly sat. And sat. And then grandpa got sick with Lou Gehrig’s and died shortly before I graduated college. The T was left to dad.

I asked dad to donate it to Lane Motor Museum here in Nashville, and my father-in-law even offered to buy it to re-restore it and show it in parades. Dad refused both offers, so it still sits in his warehouse, slowly dry-rotting.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Wow,...Still looks to be in pretty darn good shape!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Cool old truck..........thanks for the pics.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Moderator
    It's a shame to let it go to waste, It needs to be restored and cared for.

I watched my grandfathers 1963 Ford Galaxy rot away under similar circumstances.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lead Moderator
    Very nice, Too bad it isn't being cared for.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I'd keep it too if I were your Dad. It is to bad though that it is not enjoyed more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd keep it too if I were your Dad. It is to bad though that it is not enjoyed more.
    I certainly understand that thought, but I think both of us agree it wouldn't be rotting if either of us had it.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Sounds like a father/daughter project to me! Go get him motivated & spend some quality time with dad....He's probably waiting for a little help.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

If nothing else get it back on the road.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Its just fine where and as it sets. When your dad is ready with that memory he will .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Maybe dusting it as an act of respect for Grandpa? Not to get it driving, perhaps, but just a bit of care. That might start the ballrolling.

I'm not sure about this, though; it could be that the dust itself has sentimental attachments. The hardware store owner nearby has a truck his dad used for liming fields, that hasn't been driven since he died. The dad's gloves are still in the front seat, and I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to move them for fear of hurting the fellow deeply. Maybe ask your mom?

VIP Member
    I think my mom have had a hand in keeping it collecting dust there - she refuses to let anything go (except the garbage) and their house shows it. I'm going to se if I can at least get dad to dust it off, put some protectant on the top/seat/tires/wood, and cover the T in plastic.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Over new years, I went to the annual Horseless Carriage run in Pasadena, California (by the rose parade). there were around 250 or these old cars and they were fabulous!

They were a great group of people, look them up, if you have trouble with a repair, need some parts, or decide to sell it, there is a community ready to help.
    Attached Images
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Links