Rant O' the Week

This is a discussion on Rant O' the Week within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Moderators - can't decide if this is off topic or not. Feel free to move. It really fries me when someone puts up a WTS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant O' the Week

Distinguished Member

Rant O' the Week

Moderators - can't decide if this is off topic or not. Feel free to move.

It really fries me when someone puts up a WTS item in a gun forum and then waits two, three, four days or more to see if there are any bites. This is usually accompanied with an apology about being busy here or there and forgot to check their "line". So, especially on a hot deal, there will be three or more posts for I'll take it, or "send more pics" or "does it have this or that?" followed by silence. If you're going to sell it then sell it! Thanks for the rant.

2. Remove Ads

i am not good at pc / forum lingo , i only know most of the "cuss" abbreviations , what is {WTS} ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkbill View Post
    i am not good at pc / forum lingo , i only know most of the "cuss" abbreviations , what is {WTS} ?
    WTS: Want/Willing To Sell
    WTB: Want/Willing To Buy
    WTT: Want/Willing To Trade
    SPF: Sold Pending Funds

The list goes on and on...

I hear ya AZ, I offered to buy an item late last week and the seller answered a couple of questions and then poof!!! I havent heard from him in days and it makes me question whether I should even both sending him money for fear that I may never hear back.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    Most of the members on DC are pretty good when it comes to buying and selling stuff.
    Occasionally/rarely one duds out though.
    It's to be expected I guess.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Can I add something to this? Thank you. What fries me even more? Newbies that only post in the member trade section with only two posts total on the forum? I guess a newbie is a newbie, and they might really have some good stuff to sell, but c'mon here------this is not a just a free advertising forum----they need to be a part of it IMO. I'd really like to see the admin put a 20 post minimum requirement on the buy/sell/trade forum simply for those who don't understand the words etiquette or scruples. Most sites have minimum requirements for this sort of thing. If the site doesn't want to make a mandatory minimum requirement, then at least link the member trade forum directly to the donation page for all posters under a minimum requirement. I'd say $10 would be a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Can I add something to this? Thank you. What fries me even more? Newbies that only post in the member trade section with only two posts total on the forum? I guess a newbie is a newbie, and they might really have some good stuff to sell, but c'mon here------this is not a just a free advertising forum----they need to be a part of it IMO. I'd really like to see the admin put a 20 post minimum requirement on the buy/sell/trade forum simply for those who don't understand the words etiquette or scruples. Most sites have minimum requirements for this sort of thing. If the site doesn't want to make a mandatory minimum requirement, then at least link the member trade forum directly to the donation page for all posters under a minimum requirement. I'd say $10 would be a fair amount.

I agree with a minimum post count but I think those without scruples will end up with bogus posts, just to get the count. That being said it may weed out some of them and that is fine with me.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Administrator
    I like Ram Rod's idea, but I wonder if anyone has been ripped off here before.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    How about at least being a site supporter before posting items for sale?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Most of the members on DC are pretty good when it comes to buying and selling stuff.
    Occasionally/rarely one duds out though.
    It's to be expected I guess.
    Yeah, QK, I shoulda qualified this. I have NEVER had a DC forum problem on selling or buying. I'm thinking of a couple other well known sites. Also, I like the idea of the supporting DC for a first sale but I wonder if that would run into IRS problems? i.e. no longer a donation.

Another way might be a set number of days as a member and x number of log ons - not everyone posts.

if you are worried about some random person coming on just to use buying/selling. then simply check their # of post. if you arent comfortable with the person, just done buy it.
    i agree its annoying not hearing back from ppl right away, but at the same time you must realize that stuff happens. not everyone can get online every day
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i agree its annoying not hearing back from ppl right away, but at the same time you must realize that stuff happens. not everyone can get online every day
    I disagree. I think it's just good manners to check back frequently if you're selling something.

My pet peeve is when people post something for sale on umpteen different forums and forget to check back to where you saw it because they already sold it on plutoniumq36spacemodulator.com.

Cheers,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    If we're not careful, we'll "rule" ourselves to death. As has been mentioned; check the post count and then check the "rate you transaction" forum. If you have some doubts don't buy. The folks on this forum have all been a pleasure to deal with thus far.
    I take that back, Ranger Gun Leather stunk, but none of the changes mentioned would have helped that at all.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links