Ignorance

This is a discussion on Ignorance within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by standles in another thread. He then looked disgusted and asked whether I had ever been a member of a subversive group. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignorance

VIP Member

Ignorance

Originally Posted by standles in another thread.

He then looked disgusted and asked whether I had ever been a member of a subversive group. I said yes. He asked which one(s) . I said the Boy Scouts and NRA.

It was at this point I realized that Guvment Security folks don't have a very keen sense of humor.
    I am posting here so the other thread stays on course.

Standles reminded me of an occassion when I was applying for a job with a newly formed federal agency. For the examination/interview they required 2 pieces of identification and, silly me, I thought that my FL drivers license and my FL CWP would be more than enough, right? WRONG The person checking my ID looked at me like I was some kind of alien and procclaimed that my CWP was not a valid ID. I decided not to argue the point and presented my SS plus a Credit Card. That made this person happy and I went on with the process. I did not get the job but the experience stayed with me.

About a year later, I am working at the hotel where I am presently employed and got a call from the front desk regarding the returning of some expensive lost and found property. The property in question was a bag full with expensive digital photo and video equipment and, amazinly, the bag had the name of the owner in it so the only thing I had to get is ID from the person claiming it and return it if it matched.

I met this gentleman and asked if he could produce his drivers license. The gentleman went for his wallet but could not find his DL. Muttering something about the wife, he went on to produce a valid FL CWP and gave it to me and asking me if that would do it. I said to him that it would do very nice and that I had one just like that. He smiled big while I double checked and went on to give him his property. He shook my hand, thank me profusely and went away.

Almost inmediately I was called aside by the Front Desk Manager who chided me for accepting an "invalid" form of ID. I kept my composture (hard since I am BS intolerant and allergic to stupidity) and asked the manager what were the requirements to obtain a FL DL and if they included a full set of fingerprints and a local, state and federal background checks like the CWP. He started to stammer about rules but eventually caved to the logic of the obvious and I avoided a write-up.....barely
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You did good! And logic prevailed for once. Maybe that'll catch on - logic prevailing I mean.

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    Maybe that'll catch on - logic prevailing I mean.
    Don't hold your breath. Governments and Corporate Bureaucracies will resort to reason, logic and common sense only after all the alternatives have been exhausted.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    Don't hold your breath. Governments and Corporate Bureaucracies will resort to reason, logic and common sense only after all the alternatives have been exhausted.
    And that's probably optimistic.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    only after all the alternatives have been exhausted.
    I don't think that bureaucracies can exhaust all alternatives...there is always another way :chairshot
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Nice one Miggy

Can't help but remember - I had finger prints done for my FL permit - good many months ago However, in my (long winded) INS process, I had to get them done AGAIN - for the fee of $70, plus 220 mile trip for 20 minutes - oh and $8 parking!!! So the Feds have em twice!

Only fun thing about my FL permit - the photo has been stretched vertically so I look like an egghead - OK, more of an egghead! That aside, if a CCW ain't good ID I sure as heck don't know what is!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    the photo has been stretched vertically so I look like an egghead
    No, No, No. It's been modified to fit your screen. Now the question is, has it been edited for time. (always good for a laugh when it's a 90 minute move and it's in a 3 hour time slot.)
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

VIP Member
    Great stories!

I remember my brother being required to show two photo IDs to a checkout lady. She looked at the DL and then the permit, and she looked at him and said, "I'm sorry, I can't take two driver's licenses as IDs." My brother looked at her and said, "The second isn't a driver's license." She studied it hard, her face turned red, and she said, "ohh......"
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Excellent story Miggy.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Social Security Card

What I find funny is that most places will accept a Social Security Card as identification, even though there is no picture and the card itself states, "not to be used for identification purposes". I guess illiteracy is rampant.

VIP Member
    As I became an official resident of Missouri today I was asked for my social security card for identification purposes. I told the nice lady that no they couldn't see it and per their rules I only needed to provide the number. I found it interesting that on the form they put Person objects to using SSN as DL number. What an odd way to phrase it I thought.

Now I get to wait six months before I can get a CHP or purchase an evil handgun. Woo Hoo!!!

-Scott-

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    The answer is to resort to black-and-white. Almost all ID rules and regulations I've ever read require a "photo ID issued by a government agency"... CCW fits the bill.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    As I became an official resident of Missouri today...

Now I get to wait six months before I can get a CHP or purchase an evil handgun. Woo Hoo!!!

-Scott-
    Welcome to Misery...oops, I mean Missouri .

"Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My bank took my CHL as a second picture ID when I opened my checking account.

Wayne

VIP Member
    Great! At least we seem to be making inroads somewhere.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links