Coffee drinkers - roast your own - Page 2

Coffee drinkers - roast your own

This is a discussion on Coffee drinkers - roast your own within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee drinkers - roast your own

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Last edited by Paymeister; March 20th, 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: img tags

I like to brew up a cup / pot of White Castle coffee....available at Kroger if you don't have a WC in your area.

Admittedly, not a coffee expert....
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I did the math based on densities; if you can find green coffee beans for 60 cents on the dollar compared to the same stuff roasted, you'll break even. So if I buy my fancy-schmancy stuff at $12 a pound, and can find green coffee beans at $7.20 or less (.6 x $12), I will save money. Fact is, I can find it for $5.09 shipped, a savings of 27% or $52.18, if I want to buy 20 lbs at a whack(about 4 months' worth with my addiction). In addition, the green beans will keep a year or so, and the taste sure is great!

The roasting process takes about 10 minutes per batch: 1 minute setup, 5 minutes roasting (during which time one could be making one's lunch, etc.), three minutes to cool the beans, and one to put stuff away. Then one is supposed to wait 24 hours before grinding the beans. This is not a trivial commitment: it comes out to just under $5 an hour for your labor (a touch more if you do a couple of batches at a time). However, this is probably wasted time anyway (you're tucking it into your morning routine), and sacrifices for good taste and a few bucks savings are not unreasonable.

Soooo... it won't save you lots of money, but it will drop your coffee expenses by a fair amount, give you very good tasting coffee, and impress all of your friends with what a cool guy you are for roasting your own.
    Last edited by Paymeister; March 22nd, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: <sp>

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Starbucks coffee is just plain awful. It has no real flavor at all - more like drinking water soaked over night in fireplace ashes and battery acid. I think it was especially made for yuppies who are so self absorbed and intent on what comes next in their lives that they need that sort of shock to actually take their mind off of themselves for long enough to taste anything.

I am a complete coffee nut. I love coffee. I grind my own beans every morning. I am not responsible for my actions till I have half a cup of coffee in me, but I'd rather go with out than drink the crankcase sludge they serve at Starbucks.

I do like Kona, Jamacian Blue Mountain (when I find it on sale), good Columbian Supremo (for a real treat try Columbian Supremo mixed half and half with Jamacian Blue MOuntain - it really is fantastic). I stay away from the heavy acid coffees. I don't drink, I don't smoke, don't gamble, so I figure I can buy any darn coffee I want, and I do!

I've never roasted my own though - I just might have to try that. Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. I load my own ammo, ought to roast my won coffee.

Thanks for the heads up!

Fitch

My husband has been hand roasting our coffee for some time now using an old fashioned crank popcorn popper over a propane gas camping stove. He has it down to perfection.

I like the Starbucks beans, when I grind them myself. I hate the Starbucks company, though. I actually like my coffee black and to taste a little bitter. Sbucks makes a bean called Yukon blend that is very tasty. The trick to making good coffee is using some high quality H2O in a clean pot. That grungy build-up in the pot and filter area can cause the coffee to taste bad.

I never even considered roasting my own, though. I'll have to give that a try. I bet it makes the whole house smell good!
    Last edited by alfack; March 22nd, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfack View Post
    I like the Starbucks beans, when I grind them myself. I hate the Starbucks company, though. I actually like my coffee black and to taste a little bitter. Sbucks makes a bean called Yukon blend that is very tasty. The trick to making good coffee is using some high quality H2O in a clean pot. That grungy build-up in the pot and filter area can cause the coffee to taste bad.

I never even considered roating my own, though. I'll have to give that a try. I bet it makes the whole house smell good!

The beans are roasted to a very high heat, so it puts off a lot of smoke and it has to be done outdoors. When my husband roasts, the whole neighborhood smells great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links