Coffee drinkers - roast your own

This is a discussion on Coffee drinkers - roast your own within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you enjoy really good coffee, you might enjoy doing what I just did: I found the proper type of popcorn popper at a thrift ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee drinkers - roast your own

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Coffee drinkers - roast your own

If you enjoy really good coffee, you might enjoy doing what I just did: I found the proper type of popcorn popper at a thrift store yesterday ($4), and bought some unroasted Sumatra coffee beans at a local coffee roaster. I roasted them last night, and let them mature overnight as recommended, and ground them for coffee this morning.

I don't recall EVER having better coffee! I am still enjoying the pleasant base-of-the-tongue aftertaste from the sip I took just before starting to type.

Details on what type of popper to look for (NOT the screen-at-the-bottom type) and hints on roasting are to be found here: Air Popcorn Popper Method.

Bon apetit! I would write more, but my coffee is calling.

Yes, of course I could quit if I wanted to.

2. Remove Ads

There are alot of good ways to roast your own, save money or whatever but 99% of americans today will still go to Starbucks.

I live in an impoverished area - no Starbucks for 25 miles! It's been rough...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I am not quite ready to roast my own yet, but I do have a good local roaster, get excellent Sumatran beans from them, and my home coffee making system is a glass carafe and filters by Chemex and an electric kettle. Manual drip all the way for me!

Oh, and Alton Brown can tell anybody everything they need to know about brewing up a good pot of joe...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member
    That is now on my do-list. I LOVE good coffee. It's my last vice... ok, one of the last ones...
    ps. Starbucks coffee, straight, IMHO, sucks. With foo-foo mix it is fine. But straight up and black it tastes bitter and burned.

VIP Member
    I haven't gotten into the roasting part yet, but I've had some coffee from freshly roasted beans before and it was GOOD. We typically buy whole beans already roasted and grind them so it's fresh, maybe it's time for me to look at roasting. One of our favorite coffee's whole bean is "Eight O'Clock- Columbian". It was rated very high by Consumer's Report a few years ago, so far it has been our favorite "off the shelf" whole bean.

I don't mind Starbucks on occasion, and I agree it really has a burned flavor.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    OOooo.......That sounds GOOD!

....Must try.......
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Fresh roasted, fresh ground: YES!

Starbucks: NO! Stale, bitter and burnt tasting

Try Sam's French Roast whole bean - pretty decent and not $9 a pound! 8 O'Clock is good, but hard to find here in the boonies......
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Eew, starbucks.

Eew, columbian.

Arabica beans ftw!

(Says the Dunkin' Donuts addict)

I bought stock in "Starbucks" last month ~
    please dont roast your own !
    Surrounded and outnumbered, pass me my vest!

Senior Moderator
    Rocamojo Organic Wild Grown Breakfast blend for me.

And it is a fair trade product.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=Rock and Glock;667313 8 O'Clock is good, but hard to find here in the boonies......[/QUOTE]

I think Eight O'Clock was primary an A&P brand at one time. Strange as it may be we find ours now in the grocery section of Wal-Mart. Eight O'Clock Columbia is our favorite.

BTW what is the Jamaican coffee that is SO expensive? Blue Mountain or something like that? We tried some once, but weren't impressed. How many of you have heard about the coffee, that I think is around $100/lb and it is coffee beans that have passed through the digestive system of a civet cat? People go under the trees and pick the partially digested coffee beans from the droppings? Supposedly has a wonderful flavor <------ yeah right None for me thanks.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thumbs down Organic Cat Poo?

W-M here only carries the standard garbage Folgers, etc. Very few if any whole bean.

Jamaican Blue Mountain. The coffee in the White House is 1/2 Blue Mountain, 1/2 Columbian from what I've heard.

heard about the coffee, that I think is around $100/lb and it is coffee beans that have passed through the digestive system of a civet cat? People go under the trees and pick the partially digested coffee beans from the droppings? Supposedly has a wonderful flavor
    Yea, but it's Organic
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I love darker roast coffee, Kopi Luwak is reportedly the best. I'd try it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I had an interesting chat with a coffee shop owner (my favorite roaster) about "fair trade" items. He was convinced (and convincing) that while better for the farmers in one sense, it was more of a marketing ploy than anything else.
    1) the increase in cost to the consumer is not passed on to the farmers in full measure (the retailer makes more per dollar spent on fair trade items than on the standard items, giving lie to the premise that the extra dough all goes to the grower;
    2) the extra money that does go overseas goes to a coop rather than a farmer; the coop decides how much to pay the farmers (and can as easily build a school with the extra dough, rather than pay more to the grower);
    3) the price paid by the fair trade folks is keyed to the going wholesale price, and while half again or so more than the 'other guys' pay, still fails to reward a grower for making a better product: if he would get a buck a bag for run-of-the-mill beans, fair trade would pay him $1.50; but if he grew really good beans he might get ten or twenty times that... but the fair traders would still only pay him $1.50.
    4) The values of 'make a better product get more money' and 'let the market set the value' are not reflected in the process (see #3, above);

What he does is to go to the growers himself (he recently returned from a week on a farm in Guatemala, I think), where he gets to know the fellow and his operation. He then buys DIRECTLY from the farmer, allowing him to get a far superior coffee (since he's buying what he knows to be good), from a fellow who he respects, at a price the fellow is thrilled to get. This preserves the 'higher price for a better product' and puts more money into the hands of the guy doing the work rather than the go-betweens. Kind of like visiting Farmer Bob down the road to get one's produce.

I respect that, and would encourage the coffee afficianados on the list to do some research on who in their area does this sort of buying. If anyone is interested, I can ask my contact how best to determine who does this... or if he'll ship beans. Or maybe I could become a middleman myself! (I already have the middle.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links