Cheaper Than Dirt Robbed - Guns Taken

This is a discussion on Cheaper Than Dirt Robbed - Guns Taken within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posted on Thu, Mar. 20, 2008 Handguns taken from Fort Worth store BY BILL MILLER wmiller@star-telegram.com FORT WORTH -- Nearly 20 handguns were stolen early ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper Than Dirt Robbed - Guns Taken

Cheaper Than Dirt Robbed - Guns Taken

Posted on Thu, Mar. 20, 2008
    Handguns taken from Fort Worth store

BY BILL MILLER
    wmiller@star-telegram.com
    FORT WORTH -- Nearly 20 handguns were stolen early Thursday from a gun store in north Fort Worth, police and a federal agent said.

The burglary was reported at 4:50 a.m. at the Cheaper Than Dirt store at the intersection of North Loop 820 and Interstate 35W, according to a police report.

There was an alarm and video surveillance of the break in, said Tom Crowley, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

"Two subjects pried open the front door and broke into a glass case," Crowley said. "They took 19 handguns. These were high-end handguns.

"Apparently they did try to get some long guns, but they were secure."

An investigation was continuing Thursday morning.

Cheaper Than Dirt officials were unavailable for comment. The company sells firearms, but it also carries an extensive inventory of shooting supplies and outdoors equipment that is sold by catalog and over the Internet.

Check back for more details.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Bummer. Seems to be happening more often these days, one of my favorite shops in CT got robbed a few months back as well.

Jewelers move their inventory from display to the safe at night. I guess gun shops don't do the same?

At least no one was in the store...check this gun store robbery out.

For any store owners out there with an inventory like guns , Fogshield is the way to go.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Had a similar robbery here in my area. Guys stole over 20 pistols I believe but dropped a couple on their way out. Cops say they are concerned over these type of crimes increasing so much. The guys that stole the guns here left behind big ticket items like jewelry too.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Jewelers move their inventory from display to the safe at night. I guess gun shops don't do the same?

For any store owners out there with an inventory like guns , Fogshield is the way to go.
    In Texas every employee that works in a gun store is armed. Not saying it couldn't happen like the video but it would be difficult.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

In MS also, 3 guys walk into a gun store with hoods on, the fireworks would start!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

man.....i was just looking at the website yesterday
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Don't we have laws in place that is supposed to prevent this from happening!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have been in that very store numerous time, and don't recall seeing any of the employees with weapons on. However, Reborn and I were at another store in Plano a couple of weeks ago and it looked the OK Corral sceen in Tombstone, everyone was armed.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    However, Reborn and I were at another store in Plano a couple of weeks ago and it looked the OK Corral sceen in Tombstone, everyone was armed.

Comforting wasn't it?? Probably the safest place in town at the moment.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I know that the Bass Pro Shops "Outdoor World" moves all their display handguns to a secure location upon store closing.

Check out this one on Guns and Ammo in Memphis....

Kids Arrested For Stealing Weapons from Gun Shop

Reported by: Joyce Peterson
    Email: jpeterson@myeyewitnessnews.com
    Last Update: 3/06 9:42 pm

Memphis, TN - Shelby County Sheriff's deputies arrested three boys on Thursday, March 6, 2008 for stealing half a dozen pistols from a gun store.

The boys are also accused of selling or trading the guns on the streets of Memphis for cash, cell phones and favors.

82 year-old Eva White says her 12 year-old great grandson admitted he and his buddies, brothers ages 12 and 14, swiped the guns last month. White says he only confessed after deputies came knocking on her North Memphis door this morning looking for the stolen guns.

"What do they know about guns?" Ms. White says in disbelief about the three boys. "I told him if I had known about it, I would have put him across my lap and tore him up."

The theft occured on February 9th at Guns & Ammo at 3615 Summer Avenue. When asked how a trio of kids gained access to weapons normally kept inside locked cases, store employees declined comment.

"At this time," says General Manager Richard Farrell, "we have nothing to say. We are not prepared to release any statement because this is still under investigation."

And when asked if the store has surveillance video that may have captured the kids in the act, Farrell said that information is, "classified."

Gladys Oliver's grandson is one of the accused in this case. She says he told her they went into the store and grabbed guns, not once, but twice.

"He said the front door was open so they went in," says Oliver. "He said the guns were in a case and there was a little sliding door. They slid it open and got the gun. They went outdoors to check on their bikes and came back and got another gun."

Investigators with the Shelby County Sheriff's Office say each boy grabbed two guns for a total of six stolen pistols. They made their getaway on bicycles.

Detectives are trying to track down the weapons. They know that one of the 12 year-olds quickly got rid of his guns. The first one, they say, he traded for two cell phones. The second one, investigators say, he sold to a girl in the neighborhood for $200.

Deputies arrested a fourth person. 18 year-old Rickey Wright is charged with illegal possession of a firearm. Investigators say Wright told them the 14 year-old gave him one of the stolen pistols for a favor.

Back in North Memphis, family members say the boys' mothers did the right thing by turning them over to the authorities.

"A 12 year-old ain't got no business with a gun," says Gladys Oliver. "Nor a 14 year-old or a 16 year-old, either."

"If he's done something wrong," says Eva White, "that's what police are for. You've got to turn him in if he can't do no right."

Late Thursday night, only one of the stolen guns had been recovered.

All three boys have been charged with theft of property over $500.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I'll be the guy that says it: They were burglarized.

It takes extreme stupidity, guts, or a combination of the two to rob a gun store. These guys burglarized the store. A cowardly act of theft no matter how you spin it.

When I see these videos and videos of robberies of jewelrey stores, it always makes me think that someone should fabricate a store with ceilings that are bulletproof with turret openings and catwalks manned by highly armed security that can reign down holy terror from above. The perps would not know where the fire was coming from and there would be a safe backstop for bullets. Legal consequences aren't really in my thoughts when thinking about this.

Now that would be real close air support!

VIP Member
    *sigh*

I have a friend who owns a pawn shop. Whenever a really nice handgun comes in, she scoops it up for herself. She's got a load of guns at her house. And no safe. She lives in a small town where everybody knows everything. I'm surprised she hadn't been burgled yet. I even showed her pictures of my break-in where my safe got all beat up, but that still didn't convince her to get a safe.

I do know if somebody does rob her, they're going to get a lot of really nice Colts.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links