Police were watching... still couldn't prevent this crime

This is a discussion on Police were watching... still couldn't prevent this crime within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 200 surveillance cameras at Van Dyke houses fail to stop rape suspect 200 surveillance cameras at Van Dyke houses fail to stop rape suspect BY ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police were watching... still couldn't prevent this crime

200 surveillance cameras at Van Dyke houses fail to stop rape suspect

BY DORIAN BLOCK, VERONIKA BELENKAYA and ALISON GENDAR
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Friday, March 21st 2008, 4:00 AM
    Video surveillance image of unidentified rape suspect inside elevator Thursday at Van Dyke housing complex in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

Once again a rapist was caught on videotape, and once again cops failed to see him, police sources said Thursday.

A 19-year-old woman was raped at knifepoint inside the Van Dyke houses in Brooklyn early Thursday - a housing complex with more than 200 cameras supposedly monitored around the clock by the NYPD.

Sources told the Daily News that at least one video camera recorded the rapist grabbing the young woman and pulling her into an elevator.

The suspect hustled the young woman out of the elevator and raped her in a stairwell landing of the Brownsville complex, sources said. The actual sexual assault was not caught on video, police said.

"What he did is the worst thing to do to someone," the victim's aunt said. "He is a monster, this man."

Police officials believe the attacker is the same man who raped a 30-year-old woman March 6 in the housing complex.

In both cases, the man wielded a knife and dragged his victim to a stairway landing. Both times he made similar threats, saying, "Don't scream, don't fight or I'll stab you," sources said.

The 30-year-old victim told police she recognized the man from the neighborhood, which is why her guard was down.

What horrified residents was that in both cases, the rapist, if not the violent attack, was caught on video. The suspect who raped the woman March 6 was on camera for nearly 30 minutes, sources said.

Roughly 224 cameras feed live video to 30 small TV monitors. Each camera's image flashes for only seven seconds.

Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said the actual sex assault was not filmed. He said there was no indiction that any suspicious action was transmitted in the seven-second bursts.

Police released a video image of the suspect - and offered a $12,000 reward for his capture.

The video monitors are staffed mostly by cops who are on medical leave or face disciplinary action and cannot carry a weapon.

The officers, in the so-called viper units, call other cops to respond to criminal activity.

"It's mind-numbing, and actually difficult, to watch 30, 40, 50 cameras, all flashing different images every five to seven seconds," said a cop familiar with the system. "It's bad for the residents, it's bad for the cops."

I just can't get over this. Obviously being in NY, this poor lady wasn't carrying a firearm, but if she had been allowed, this creep would not on the streets.

Plus, the video surveillance by the police... I'm speechless. Don't carry a gun, just call 911... we'll go even better, don't carry a gun, don't call 911, we'll just set up a big brother system to watch over you and protect you... what?!?!? it didn't work? Well...... at least you don't have to go through the emotional turmoil after shooting someone.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

The problem with the cctv is it's designed to be a deterrent, not any kind of protection. It's a very after-the-fact system. Looks like NY is taking notes from London.

That's horrible. Big brother is watching, but he's watching too many things at once. This truly is the worst crime a human can commit against another human being.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The video monitors are staffed mostly by cops who are on medical leave or face disciplinary action and cannot carry a weapon.

This makes me think that their hearts aren't into it.

VIP Member
    CCTV cameras are only good AFTER the crime! They give CNN something to show the sheep.............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I hope the police locate him first.

I hope he's stupid enough to advance on them with a weapon.

I hope he doesn't get to use said weapon.

I hope the police get to use theirs.

A lot.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I hope the police locate him first.

I hope he's stupid enough to advance on them with a weapon.

I hope he doesn't get to use said weapon.

I hope the police get to use theirs.

A lot.

-JT
    My 1st year Criminal Law prof had a great idea for prevention/deterrence of these kinds of issues. Not quite sure how to word it here though (as to keeping the post from being deleted/censored).

Effectively the idea is that when caught...he should be taken out back, have his ...err uh 5th appendage...nailed to a tree stump, and then push him over backwards.

Seems to me it would solve the issue of the raper from raping again and would be a rather intriguing deterrence effect for the rest of the future raper community.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You show this kind of dirt bag the end of the muzzle and say "Smile wait for the Flash."
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    My 1st year Criminal Law prof had a great idea for prevention/deterrence of these kinds of issues. Not quite sure how to word it here though (as to keeping the post from being deleted/censored).

Effectively the idea is that when caught...he should be taken out back, have his ...err uh 5th appendage...nailed to a tree stump, and then push him over backwards.

Seems to me it would solve the issue of the raper from raping again and would be a rather intriguing deterrence effect for the rest of the future raper community.
    One problem: scum could technically still breed artificially.

And he's still wasting oxygen, food, and water better suited for a USEFUL member of the species.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    CCTV cameras are only good AFTER the crime! They give CNN something to show the sheep.............
    OH so true

1943 - 2009
    We could always use the punishment favored by Charlie Daniels.

Lyrics from Simple Man:

As far as I'm concerned there ain't no excuse
    For the raping and the killing and the child abuse
    And I've got a way to put an end to all that mess

Just take them rascals out in the swamp
    Put 'em on their knees and tie 'em to a stump
    Let the rattlers and the bugs and the alligators do the rest

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

C'mon guys..be nice..we have to give this misguided man a CHANCE! Surely with some loving care, he can change his ways. We can put him on some sort of govt assistance, take care of him and hopefully he will make a full turn around and live a long life while recieving food stamps..so please, have some compasion! GIVE HIM A CHANCE! (yeah right!)
    "Brains before Bullets"

Perhaps they can help solve crimes, after the fact, but they can't generally stop anything.

According to other reports, the suspects were filmed, but the crime was not. So, monitored or not, it's pretty hard to see how police could have done much more. I'm sure those videos captured 100 people a day, all going about their business.

Update: a suspect has been captured (NY Daily News), based on DNA match from the building.

Though, in the article, some folks are quoted as indicating that "... the suspect in the first rape was seen pushing a woman up a flight of stairs, and in the second rape pulling her back into an elevator. Officers either didn't see it or took no notice, sources said."

Of course, like many other such crimes, they'll catch him, incarcerate him in the local revolving train-a-thug facility, then release him in time ... more finely-tuned than before. Folks on that floor of that building will likely be raped again.

Lesson #1: NOTHING can replace effective personal self-defense capabilities which can be brought to bear on the instant of an attack. Nothing.

Lesson #2: See Lesson #1.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Too bad you couldn't offer a bounty for his head....

Administrator
    I've been in a few prisons (For work guys, and No, I never have had a extended stay) and they all have had elevators and stairwells. I guess the BG will find out if al the rumors about prison are true.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links