Ayn Rand

This is a discussion on Ayn Rand within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I figured it was time to stop talking about it and start up the thread. I am about 400 pages in to Atlas Srugged and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

I figured it was time to stop talking about it and start up the thread.

I am about 400 pages in to Atlas Srugged and I have already ordered Fountain Head. I am currently beating myself up for not having time to sit down and devot to this book as I want to BUT, as yall know I am in Afghanistan and its a little bit more difficult to take time off of work and read. The biggest thing bothering me right now is
    WHO IS JOHN GALT?
    I am hearing it every now and then and it is bugging the crap out of me. Well I guess its time to pick it back up and read while everyone else is sleeping.
    BTW They are making a movie out of Atlas Shrugged in 2008-2009 I believe. Angelina Jolee is rumored to be playing Dangy and Brad Pitt as John Galt. I am curious as to who will play Rearden and "Frisco".

Atlas Shrugged (2008) - Full cast and crew
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla82ABN View Post
    I figured it was time to stop talking about it and start up the thread.

I am about 400 pages in to Atlas Srugged and I have already ordered Fountain Head. I am currently beating myself up for not having time to sit down and devot to this book as I want to BUT, as yall know I am in Afghanistan and its a little bit more difficult to take time off of work and read. The biggest thing bothering me right now is
    WHO IS JOHN GALT?
    I am hearing it every now and then and it is bugging the crap out of me. Well I guess its time to pick it back up and read while everyone else is sleeping.
    BTW They are making a movie out of Atlas Shrugged in 2008-2009 I believe. Angelina Jolee is rumored to be playing Dangy and Brad Pitt as John Galt. I am curious as to who will play Rearden and "Frisco".

You'll have to continue reading to answer your question. Please, no one spoil it for him.

John Galt is both a man, and a metaphor.

Enjoy the book, it's a great one!

It is a great book, the movies that they have out now don't do it justice and I doubt the new one will either, but then again, I won't be watching the movie for the message...:-)

I won't answer your question, but here is Ayn Rand's answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Ayn Rand
    “John Galt is Prometheus who changed his mind....”
    On an unrelated note, I tried to join the forum Democratic Underground. My signature was Who is John Galt? They banned me before I got a chance to make a post and they won't return my e-mails...go figure.

By the way, what led you to pick up the book?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

JT

Interesting, but what are the odds that any Hollywood movie, let alone one starring Angelina Jolee and Brad Pitt, would remain true to the story and message of Atlas Shrugged.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Interesting, but what are the odds that any Hollywood movie, let alone one starring Angelina Jolee and Brad Pitt, would remain true to the story and message of Atlas Shrugged.
    Agreed...I can't picture Jolie playing Dagny

edit:

Oh yeah...dont spoil it for the OP.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    By the way, what led you to pick up the book?
    You did from the Thread "Rants about Hijacking Threads"
    When I first seen you signature I was intrigued. After reading thru the thread we started talking about John Galt and you recommended it to me so I ordered it that night and it got here about a week later.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ron
    When you finish the book and read the"important speech" carefully, you will never again be the same. Trust us on this.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Magilla, alright, I got out my copy of Atlas Shrugged to see about where you were, and I have a few questions for you...

We'll start with this one.

What do you think of Francisco d'Anconia?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

1943 - 2009
    Please, no one spoil it for him.
    Oh yeah...dont spoil it for the OP.
    Don't spoil it for me, either!

I'm only 200 pages into the book.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Cap'n, I've been waiting for a chance to say this but never figured I would get the chance, but...
    Welcome Aboard!

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Magilla, alright, I got out my copy of Atlas Shrugged to see about where you were, and I have a few questions for you...

We'll start with this one.

What do you think of Francisco d'Anconia?
    I think he is a visionary who is just trying to make a point by doing some things. I am on Page 504 as of last night and at first i thought of his as a vilian but my opinion has changed since the speech at the wedding and the events at the Mill. I didnt want to put it down last night but i needed some sleep. I will be picking it back up in about 30 minutes. I see him as accually being a good guy in the end. I cant wait to finish it. then read it again just because i can

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I'm at page 934, it is a eye opening book. When looking at society as it is today, you can see the scenario going down as we speak.........
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

A is A.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I cant wait to finish it. then read it again just because i can
    Read The Fountainhead in between...then go back and read them both. Repeat as necessary.

Unfortunately, while I consider those two books to be among the greatest written in the last 100 years, Ayn Rand's other works left me disapointed.

Who is John Galt?

I have heard of Fountain head before, but never read it. I knocked out another 60 pages earlier and my dislike for John Taggart and his little friends grew at the thought of the propsed bill (chapter 4 I believe). I hate to keep pulling my self away but I really want to talk to my wife and she is making it difficult trying to track her down since she usually sleep til noon anyways.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links