John Adams

John Adams

This is a discussion on John Adams within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; John Adams is the title of a new mini series produced by HBO. Not only was he the second President, but he was instrumental in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Adams

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar

John Adams

John Adams is the title of a new mini series produced by HBO. Not only was he the second President, but he was instrumental in founding our nation. Many of us are concerned with the Founders, the Constitution and the birth of our Republic. The first two installments, while not absolutely historically accurate, were very well done. Paul Giamatti as John Adams does an excellent job and Tom Wilkinson literally steals the show as Benjamin Franklin.

The first two episodes covered the period from the Boston Massacre in 1770 to the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Good script, excellent acting. I highly recommend seeing this portrayal of American history unfold with the characters brought to life.

I watched both episodes and I can hardly wait for the next!
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

If you really want to get the inside scoop, read the books, 1776, and John Adams that are out at the bookstores right now. I read 1776 last year, am in the middle of John Adams right now.

Great reading.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Administrator
    This series has made me want HBO. Maybe I'll just read the books edr suggested.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i also watched the shows.very good,imo.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

same here. I dvr'd the one from last night...couldn't catch it in time so I'll get it tonight.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I would like to see the seriesas unquestionably one of the great Patriot Founding Fathers of our nation. On the down side though, I have read several of his letters in the book "The Spirit of Seventy Six," a compendium of letters written by many folks during the Revolution. John Adams was unquestionably a virulent and blatant Anti-Catholic.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

This series is the first thing on HBO that made me wish I had the channel in years. Unfortunately, 75% of their programming is made up of things I wouldn't allow my children to watch. I'll not be paying them to watch this series.

Paul Revere's Ride, by David Hackett Fischer, is the best account of June 19, 1775 that I've ever read. If you're interested in reading about the first days of the revolutionary war, this is the book to get!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah! GREAT series. I don't have HBO but I caught it on Saturday evening at my mom's place! I was floored! I've always thought Giamatti was always short-changed on his roles. That series really proves what a great actor he is. I'm pretty impressed with it, obviously. It makes me want HBO but I still can't justify having TV.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I still can't justify having TV.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have seen all the episodes to date plus the "making" of the series.

I agree that it is a very interesting mini-series and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

They have done a great job at recreating the period and I am glad they were able to film in "Colonial Williamsburg!"

It seems the whole series was a very big ordeal to come together and it shows in the quality of the show.

Laura Linney is excellent as John's wife Abigail. I had no idea how savvy and influential she was in his life.

I'll probably purchase the box set on DVD when it comes out as well as read the book. 1776 has already been on my reading list for a while now. I'm in the middle of "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell at the moment.

An excellent book folks should read if they get a chance!

BTW... Marcus has been invited to be at the speakers forum at the annual NRA convention in Louiville, Kentucky this year. If he accepts I may attend to honor him and have him sign my copy.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Series looks good!
    PS....Mel Gibson's, THE PATRIOT, should be mandatory watching in Middle School. They're showing that Global Warming thingy....why not a movie with some spirit?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    LOL I'm not a fan of most of the stuff on TV. I'm a student too, so cash is better spent on things like tuition and gas for getting to class. Television's offerings haven't impressed me in years. Except HBO and Discovery Channel... And I can't reason dropping $60 a month for that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    For those of you who watched the third segment and were bored to tears, the fourth episode was superb.

HBO is currently airing the first four episodes.

Addendum to my previous post: Just finished the book "John Adams" which I absorbed in 4 days (I am a hopelessly addicted history buff and avid reader); a book that I could not put down. McCoullough puts John Adams in a light that many of us have overlooked through the years. I won't spoil it for anyone, but if you want to spend $25 on a good read that will give great insight as to the mindset of our founding fathers and leave little doubt as to their intent, get 1776 and John Adams. They are both well worth the money.

+1 Barkn on Lone survivor; I am reading that right now.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links