No longer a Gun Shop employee

This is a discussion on No longer a Gun Shop employee within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was working at a local gun shop / range but, no more. I was only working on the weekends and that was just taking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No longer a Gun Shop employee

No longer a Gun Shop employee

I was working at a local gun shop / range but, no more.

I was only working on the weekends and that was just taking too much time from my family. It is almost summer time, softball, T-ball, baseball games and practices. Trips tot he park with the kids. I just didn't want to spend that time in a gun shop.

So, I quit. And I feel really good about it. I am sure that the number of times I will have guns pointed at me will go down dramatically.

Anyway, just the full time job of being a father and the other full time job of being a Broadcast Engineer for me again.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Sounds good to me, you can always work in a gun shop, but you get one shot at being a good father.
    I did the same thing awhile back. Everybody thinks it would be such great fun to work in a gun shop... it gets old in a hurry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I was working at a local gun shop / range but, no more.

I was only working on the weekends and that was just taking too much time from my family. It is almost summer time, softball, T-ball, baseball games and practices. Trips tot he park with the kids. I just didn't want to spend that time in a gun shop.

So, I quit. And I feel really good about it. I am sure that the number of times I will have guns pointed at me will go down dramatically.

Anyway, just the full time job of being a father and the other full time job of being a Broadcast Engineer for me again.
    Good for you. When you are older it will be very clear to you that being a father was the most important and the best job you ever had.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    Congrats Mike. Spend all the time you can with your kids while you can. They grow up tooooooo quick. Our only child is a freshman at Samford University in Birmingham. While only a little over an hour away, and seeing her almost every weekend, it is still not enough. Cherish it while you can.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Sounds good to me, you can always work in a gun shop, but you get one shot at being a good father.
    I did the same thing awhile back. Everybody thinks it would be such great fun to work in a gun shop... it gets old in a hurry.
    Never worked in a gun shop, but I love to bass fish.
    explicitly BIG bass, some of my friends ask me to tournament
    fish and I all ways say no, it would be work and not having fun.
    Same way about shooting sports.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

kpw
    Everybody thinks it would be such great fun to work in a gun shop... it gets old in a hurry.
    Same with bartending. Good choice, Mike.

You are completely correct SIXTO. It was fun the first 2 or 3 times I worked there. Then it turned a place that I liked to go into a place that I dreaded going to. That's a shame.
    And you find out that some of the guys who work behind the counter, while they are very nice and courteous to you when you are a customer, are kind of jerks when you are a co-worker. That sucked too.

I do not regret my decision at all. In fact, I feel better this weekend than I have in months on the weekend! We went to the park yesterday and spent several hours just playing with the kids and having a great time. I feel great.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Good choice Mike. Make time to spend with the kids. Life is too short and too uncertain. I lost a son at age 24 and still think about all the things I missed doing with him. Be safe and be happy, there is always time for gunshops later.

1943 - 2009
    Everybody thinks it would be such great fun to work in a gun shop... it gets old in a hurry.
    I'll second that.

I used to own a gun shop.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Ditto for me too Mike I used to work in the gun department at Cabelas. It used to get so busy that customers literally had to take a number and wait in line. And then there was the phone that rang constantly off the hook. It was pure misery.

Senior Moderator
    Good for you, Mike!

I know what you mean about it getting old real fast and I think that eventually I'm going to move on as well. I really like it but the guns getting pointed at me, the stupid questions (and I'm not talking innocent, I'm talking intentionally STUPID), the horrible (and I mean HORRIBLE pay), the crap talkers... ahh.. it does get so old, so fast!

Enjoy your family!!

VIP Member
    Well done, Mike. I tell the students at Judson that life is to short to spend it doing something they don't like. When it goes from being a pleasure to being a drudge it's time to move on. And you have other great reasons to move on. They grow up too fast and are gone - spend time with them while you can.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Good call, sounds like your kids are lucky to hae a good dad in thier life. It's a hard choice to make, but in the end it's the right call.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

TN Mike: Everyone here is right on the money! Anyone ever hear the song "Time Well Wasted" by Brad Paisley? Sums up the theme here.
    Remember that we will never have a second opportunity, to be able to go back and relive that time frame. It's like investing in their lives and appreciate the dividends when we get older.
    I coached Little League for 7 yrs, went skiing together, and attended most of their Lacrosse games and was home every evening. Good thing because one nite they climbed out on the roof to check out the neighborhood. They were like 9 and 6 at the time. Scarey! Now they are 33 & 30, both successful in the health field, and each will be fathers this year. (I'm finally going to be a grandpa and twice in 1 yr.. it's catch up time). I know that both of them will be great fathers. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Any man can make a baby but it takes a real man to be a father/dad. (How's that sound? I just made it up!) We all agree that you made the right decision!

"If all the year were playing holidays, To sport would be as tedious as work." - William Shakespeare Henry IV
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links