"Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight"....not good! (merged x 3)

This is a discussion on "Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight"....not good! (merged x 3) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight 5:39 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight"....not good! (merged x 3)

VIP Member

Pilot's gun discharges on US Airways flight 5:39 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories

CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A US Airways pilotís gun accidentally discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to as statement released by the airline. The statement said the discharge happened on Flight 1536, which left Denver at approximately 6:45am and arrived in Charlotte at approximately 11:51am. The Airbus A319 plane landed safely and none of the flightís 124 passengers or five crew members was injured, according to the statement. It was a full flight. And airline spokeswoman said the plane has been taken out of service to make sure it is safe to return to flight. A Transportation Safety Administration spokeswoman reached by WCNC Sunday said the pilot is part of TSAís Federal Flight Deck Officer (FFDO) program, which trains pilots to carry guns on flights. Andrea McCauley said the gun discharged in the cockpit, but she could not release how the gun was being transported at the time. She did not release the pilotís name, but said he was authorized to carry the weapon and was last requalified in the FFDO program last November. A statement from TSA said the airplane was never in danger, and the TSA and the Federal Air Marshals Service are investigating the incident. WCNC reporter Diana Rugg is following up on this story. If you or someone you know were on that flight, please e-mail her at drugg@wcnc.com.
    This is just what we need.....NOT. This won't help allowing any armed civilians EVER getting on an airliner.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Wow. I guess this will shut up all the know nothings who said that a bullet hole will bring down an airliner.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Gun unsecured in holster, falls out as pilot climbs into/out of seat?
    or
    Wrong holster for gun?
    or
    Someone playing with gun? I suspect putting holes into muti-million dollar airplanes while being silly is not good for the career...

A little duct tape and that plane is good as new...

Also, WHAT THE HECK IS A GUN DOING UNHOLSTERED IN-FLIGHT without genuine need? Let me guess, showing it to a flight attendant?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Gun unsecured in holster, falls out as pilot climbs into/out of seat?
    or
    Wrong holster for gun?
    or
    Someone playing with gun? I suspect putting holes into muti-million dollar airplanes while being silly is not good for the career...
    Don't think guns are suppose to go off if dropped...I'm betting he/she caught the trigger on something.

Rick

I've heard tell of this "mile high club"I think i'll refrain from becoming a member,sounds like a long flight and maybe he was showing the other pilot his weapon and during show and tell bang

We probably won't hear what happened, but I'm sure it was negligent, not and accident.

I figured with current technology they'd have cameras in the cockpit by now.

How about a "No clearing leather while onboard except under emergency circumstances" rule? Guns don't pull their own triggers and everyone on this board knows it. This guy did something stupid.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I'm going to reserve judgement until I find out what happened. I have several friends who are pilots and am told that the method of securing the firearm is dangerous and is an A/D waiting to happen. Maybe they were right.

Tim

My wife's cousin is a pilot for US Air and I just checked to be sure it wasn't him. His main route is from Miami to Colombia and he told me that he never flies without his .38 in his flight bag. Any time the so called "Experts" get involved in things like this something gets screwed up.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SSKC View Post
    I'm going to reserve judgement until I find out what happened. I have several friends who are pilots and am told that the method of securing the firearm is dangerous and is an A/D waiting to happen. Maybe they were right.

Tim
    +1 on reserving judgement. I can readily see how firearm regulations can cause extraneous and unnecessary handling of a firearm in a cockpit.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    +1 on reserving judgement. I can readily see how firearm regulations can cause extraneous and unnecessary handling of a firearm in a cockpit.
    Thats true, I can see them requiring the gun to be empty until in-flight, or maybe locked and loaded until wheels up, then requiring the chamber to be empty and "safed".
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Lead Moderator
    What make and model weapon are they using?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

JRG

accountablility!!

If the pilot was carrying one of the recommended handguns for pilots, then I would have to suggest this more than likely is a case of 'negligent discharge'....hopefully the person responsible will be held accountable...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links