Hmm.... Dont know what to think about this

This is a discussion on Hmm.... Dont know what to think about this within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am obviously distraught over this or I wouldnt have posted about it. I guess its not such a big deal, but then, I feel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmm.... Dont know what to think about this

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Hmm.... Dont know what to think about this

I am obviously distraught over this or I wouldnt have posted about it. I guess its not such a big deal, but then, I feel somehow cheated in a way. Violated might even describe it. Still, this is the internet and I knew it could have happened, I just never thought in quite this way and in my OWN HOUSE so to speak.

I am a member of another gun oriented forum, XD Talk to be exact. Several months ago, I posted some threads with pictures featuring some self defense ammo that I used in some non-scientific home tests. tests just to show expansion diameters and bullet shapes after impact.

Well, today I find a thread about one of these ammo brands that I featured and in that thread is a reply by a newby with 19 posts total. He stated that his buddy " . . .Ray did some tests with the ammo and got these results . . ."

He sates that "These rounds were fired from a 5" 1911 into 10% ordinance jelly."

That is an outright lie! I fired these bullets myself, into four one gallon milk jugs full of water from a distance of 15 feet from a 4" XD .45acp service model.

He also used MY PHOTOS that are still, to this day, posted in my original thread about the ammo I tested! He gave credit to his buddy Ray.

I have made it clear, in that particular thread, that the images were mine and credit should not go to Ray. I dunno what else I should say or do, but I feel that this is just wrong. I guess I should have watermarked my images, but I didnt and now I cant.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I have made it clear, in that particular thread, that the images were mine and credit should not go to Ray. I dunno what else I should say or do, but I feel that this is just wrong. I guess I should have watermarked my images, but I didnt and now I cant.
    Bingo. You have to put the copyright logo (circled C, like this: © ), your name, and the date, visible on each photo if you want to have any legal protection at all. However, all this really does is give you the right to take someone to court and claim copyright infringement - it's still on your bill to fight them, and there's no guarantees you'll win.

I've always just assumed that anything I posted on the Internet became public domain when I clicked "submit". I have a few technical papers I've posted on my website in locked Adobe PDF documents with copyright info attached, and that's probably about the best you can do without spending lots of money.

Don't feel violated; feel flattered that somebody liked your work well enough to rip off

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    LOL! Busted!

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    What a goober!

My friend... "Ray".

Link?

That would frost my butt too! I'm on a vehicle website forum, and if you upload pics there, they automatically give them a copyright. That's not to say images can't be further manipulated or edited, uploaded to a host, then downloaded again, but it's a decent attempt at thwarting pic thievery. I've had some of mine 'stolen' before. Thing is---the internet is a rather public domain---and some people suck. That being said (this month's favorite saying), if you've been a member on that forum for quite some time, and have some allies----root this jerk out. Call him on it, and have a little bit of proof that he stole those images. The vehicle forum I use most often---the members usually take care of things like that without involving moderation. If bad enough, and blatant enough, there may have been a terms of service violation where the mods could ban that member for a time or indefinitely. Good luck, and don't let your B.P. go too high on it---folks like that usually get their just rewards in due time.

VIP Member
    Links indeed - we could all tell "Ray" and his poaching friend what we think about them...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Ooopss..... I meant to link to the thread. Here ya go

XD Talk Thread with stolen images

Second page

Its not that he used my images to demonstrate, its that he says they were the result of his buddy "Ray's" testing and that the results were from a totally different gun and in a totally different testing media.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    You can find "Ray's" email if you look for other posts by that guy (about grip stippling). Why would anyone go to the trouble of lying on the internet? Unless Lowend IS "Ray".

Seems like "Lowend" is an appropriate name.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I guess i could post pics of the damage my atomic annihilator ray gun did to a supeme pizza.I know it looks like it was just left in an oven for too long,but my buddy ray can vouch that i used my ray gun

DC Founder
    Trying to keep up with all of the posts/threads on a forum is very difficult. You may want to consider telling your story to the moderating team over there and see if they will ditch the guy's thread or remove the pictures. At least I would if it was presented that "Ray's test" was bogus....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

That's pretty funny. You can look forward to the guy never using that account again, and then opening another account, and pulling more stupid stunts with it. Or, maybe he'll argue with you and get banned. Either way, its kind of funny. Those really are nice pictures! Sorry you got robbed.

Austin

I'd talk to the moderator and get him banned from XDtalk. He surley doesn't sound like the kind of member I would want posting on my forum(s). A buddy of mine had something similar happen to him. A guy posted pictures of my friends car on another forum and claimed it to be his. Some people in this world...sheeesh.

I have already PM'd a moderator about it. I have not yet recieved an answer but I probably will eventually.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I have already PM'd a moderator about it. I have not yet recieved an answer but I probably will eventually.
    If he joins over here, I'll ban him for ya
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links