How to survive a SHTF scenario?

This is a discussion on How to survive a SHTF scenario? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a great blog with some good info. This guy went through a real life SHTF with the collapse of Argentina back in 2001. ...

Thread: How to survive a SHTF scenario?

How to survive a SHTF scenario?

This is a great blog with some good info. This guy went through a real life SHTF with the collapse of Argentina back in 2001.

Surviving in Argentina
    G19
    G26

2. Remove Ads

Makes me thankful we live in the USA.

Wow, great link! Thanks for posting it.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Interesting link...added to bookmarks for later...Thanks!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Exclamation TEOTWAWKI: A Realistic Perspective

I've read almost all of what this fellow has written (that which I can find) and it is, to the best of my ability to be a judge of such matters:

• Incredibly insightful;
    • Honest;
    • Realistic;
    • Frightening; and
    • Representative of what a TEOTWAWKI might very well look like

Many of us view the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI as some cataclysmic or catastrophic event, either natural (earthquakes, global warming, etc.), descent into chaos via societal failures caused by some type of external event (pandemic), invasions by Zombies or Jihadist terrorists, or the like.

What Ferfal illustrates is a societal failure caused by a weakening economy, the failure of the political structures combined with police state failures, the loss of the rule of law, and the like (not to paraphrase Ferfal). He illustrates that it was not any one event, but a whole series of related events over time that have devastated his country.

A great read, very instructive, and worth spending a lot of time reading and thinking about. It will change how you plan for emergencies, the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI.

Here's a pretty complete link to all of the writings......

Frugal's Forums: Thoughts on Urban Survival. COMPLETE !! A MUST READ FOR ALL SQUIRRELS!!!

You might have to register to get this open, but it is a pretty interesting site.

My apologies to DC and Bumper for this forum link, but the time I've spent over there trolling, the site is very complimentary to DC, and the Moderators are almost as tough as all of the great Mods over here.....LOL

Exclamation Excerpt

Here's a passage from the link above, just to perk some interest here. It's good stuff!

Again, I can pin point the exact moment when the entire country realized what was happening. After the 2001 crisis things had been bad, but people in Buenos Aires, the capital city and the richest province, didnít realize how bad things actually where in the other provinces. This was until teachers noted that kids had problems with education. You see, they noticed that they had problems to concentrate, that they fell asleep, and that they found it difficult to resolve mathematical equations.
    They later found out that this was due to malnutrition, kids where not receiving the minimum amount of nutrients for a healthy working body. The braking point was when a reporter interviewed a little girl about 8 or 9 years old. The reporter lady asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, the usual kiddy questions. The girl, crying, said that she didnít want to be anything; that she didnít care. The lady asked her why was she crying. She said that she cried because she was hungry, that she had nothing to eat for days, and it was then that I noticed how skinny the little girl actually was.
    Seeing children starve is terrible, I guess we all saw those images of the starving kids in Africa. But when you see them speak your same language, with your same accent, in your own country, it hits a nerve.

People talked about it for weeks, and they interviewed pediatricians that confirmed that the number of children dieing because of hunger had increased drastically in the last few months. So whatever happens, let it be a hurricane, economical collapse, earthquake or meteor hitting earth, food and water always come first.

Ideally you already have a food plan and have a year worth of food in your basementÖ You donít? hmmÖ neither did I when the SHTF and lets just say that I had my manhood up my throat all the time, fearing that supermarkets would definitely close and me and my family would be left without food. If you donít have your food needs sorted out already, just do what I did; start buying a little extra every time you go to the supermarket. The points you want to look for your storage food are, in order of importance:

1) No need of fridge.

2) High nutritious value/volume

3) Long shelf live, between 1-5 years.

4) That they donít need water

5) That they donít need cooking

This will usually take you to canned meats, canned tuna, canned vegetables, dried pasta, dehydrated soups, chocolate, milk powder, marmalades, soups, rice and dried beans. Canned food is excellent when it comes to long shelf life. Most of the time they are already hydrated, so they donít need water, and you can eat them out of the can. Just watch out not to dent the can, if this happens air may get inside and ruin it. If you have a dent or bump in a can, consume it fast. Also remember that once the can is opened, you have to remove the food from the can. My favorite canned food is tuna. It lasts forever, itís full of proteins and no matter how often I eat it, it always tastes good. Besides you can combine it with frozen vegetables or rice.

Canned fruits and vegetables are also good, but they have much less vitamins than the fresh ones, and you loose most of it unless you drink the liquid they come in.
    Dried pasta may need a lot of water to cook, but its one of the best ways to store carbs in convenient to use form. Flower or wheat can also be stored in large quantities and are nutritious, but they require more preparation to consume.

Weíve become quite independent form the fridge, and only use it to keep frozen our fresh pasta (Ůoqui) pizza and frizzed vegetables. We practically freeze everything, because it lasts longer, practically indefinitely, and because if the lights go out a large mass of frozen food will last for hours, even a day or two. The more mass of food you have frozen to longer it will hold. The survivalist, especially the urban one, should try to rely as little as possible on the fridge. Thatís why canned food and freeze dried food is your best friend. Yet, anyone who has been for a while with no fresh fruit knows that after some time the skin starts to suffer. Sores will appear after a while, especially on delicate skin like the lips and mouth. [Editorís Note: This condition is commonly known as Scurvy] Once you start eating fresh fruits and vegetables again they go away.

Links