My Pro Gun/Pro 2A Views May Have Cost Me a Friend

This is a discussion on My Pro Gun/Pro 2A Views May Have Cost Me a Friend within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Mods: If this post is not in the right place feel free to move it as you see fit. Guys & gals, I just have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Pro Gun/Pro 2A Views May Have Cost Me a Friend

My Pro Gun/Pro 2A Views May Have Cost Me a Friend

Mods: If this post is not in the right place feel free to move it as you see fit.

Guys & gals, I just have to vent...

I have a good friend (or so I thought) that I have hunted, fished & just hung out with for quite a few years now. We definitely do not share the same political views (he is the liberal one if you could not guess) and have had several serious but always good-natured "discussions" about the country's state of affairs in the past.

I had not talked to my buddy in a couple of weeks. My Mom passed away recently & on top of that I have had the Flu...pretty much down & out for a while. Well, as fate would have it, I am feeling better all the way around & the wife & kid happen to go out of town today. I figured I'd call my bud & get together for a beer & catch up on things.

So, I give him a call but his schedule will not permit a get together. We end up shooting the breeze & in the course of conversation, I mention that I am going to a gun show this Saturday to "stock up before the liberal gun grabbers take office". That is when IT happened!

To paraphrase & keep this a little shorter, I was told that I was full of BS & that no Democratic candidate had even mentioned gun control. I was called stupid and a disgrace to my university (not sure where that came from, but that is what he said). I was told that I had "lost it" and that I was an EXPLETIVE fanatic.

Thinking that he was yanking my chain as has been done in the past, I tried to joke about Obama etc., etc. Sadly, I discovered he was not joking at all. He seized the opportunity to refresh my memory of his opinion of G.W. Bush, the Iraq War & the state of the economy in the US and further state that "there are far greater issues than gun control in the USA today".

For the record, I never said that there are not some really big issues this country needs to address. I happen to believe however that The Constitution and The Bill of Rights and our liberties guaranteed by same are pretty big "issues".

OK, so that's it. I'm shocked, mad & hurt all at the same time. I guess this too will past. Or maybe not.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Ask your buddy what hole he has been hiding in. Hillary Clinton is the biggest gun grabber of all. Well, never mind, the liberals only see what they want to see. If he wants to act like that, then it is his loss, not yours.

B.T.W. You have plenty of friends right here. All you have to do is log in.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Well he does have a point that neither of the Dems have actually directly mentioned gun control in this campaign so far. They've been busy calling eachother names and debating other issues.

I think the fact that they haven't mentioned it at all could be a bad sign.

But then I remember that our supreme court is pretty conservative, and that both the House and Senate are pretty evenly split - probably won't be passing any strict gun control legislation in the next four years.

Sorry you've had a rift with a good friend - give it a few weeks and try an apology. I've learned to avoid such topics with people that I know disagree; you can't make a pig sing.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Sorry for you loss!! I don't have any Dem. friends!!
    If they don't understand, I can't explain it to them!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Sorry you've had a rift with a good friend - give it a few weeks and try an apology. I've learned to avoid such topics with people that I know disagree; you can't make a pig sing.
    Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    From what I read, I don't think he has anything to apologize for. His friend is the one that flipped out over it. I would not apologize for it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    From what I read, I don't think he has anything to apologize for. His friend is the one that flipped out over it. I would not apologize for it.
    I wouldn't normally either, but, exactly like with our wives/girlfriends, sometimes it's worth it to suck it up and apologize (even if you don't really mean it) to keep the friendship in tact.

On the other hand, if the OP thinks this will be a reoccurring issue or is a big enough difference to make further friendship difficult, then letting it go may be the better course of action.

Personally, if I was in this situation with someone I considered a good friend, I'd swallow my pride and apologize for the sake of not loosing a good buddy. But as I said, if it's a continual issue or creates a big divide, that's a different case.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I think a lot of the really hardcore liberals are mad and frustrated at their candidates because the Democratics are avoiding the gun issue, and other liberal issues, like it was radioactive. The trouble is as soon as the election is over they feel no duty to honor anything said in the campaign and revert back to what they really believe, that average Americans are not smart enough to know what is really good for them and it is up to the liberal elite to do what "they" know is best for us.
    Annual Member NRA 1972-88
    Life Member NRA 1988
    Endowment Member NRA 2013
    SAF Member 2013

Have him go buy a clue.

deadeye72 beat me to the draw. What exactly is it I am supposed to apologize for? All I did was say I was going to a gun show. (My buddy has gone with me in the past BTW) HE came unglued & started name calling & belittling me. I provided facts backed up by source references regarding political candidates when HE brought up political parties.

As far as the wife/girlfriend analogy...I AINT married to the guy
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly the gun thing is off the board for dems now . I wont speculate what " could happen " .

I am sorry you are at odds with your friend , and am hopefull you can find some mutual ground to rebuild a friendship on . For myself tho i may well vote on a record of gun control or lack thereof , i dont select friends by that basis .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Honestly the gun thing is off the board for dems now . I wont speculate what " could happen " .

I am sorry you are at odds with your friend , and am hopefull you can find some mutual ground to rebuild a friendship on . For myself tho i may well vote on a record of gun control or lack thereof , i dont select friends by that basis .
    Nor do I. My problem with the whole situation stems from his PERSONAL attacks based on my beliefs. IMO, true friends don't do that to one another.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

With 'friends' like that...you don't NEED any enemies...

STAY armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Kind of sounds like he was having a bad day.
    Be sure to post pics of the goodies you get at the gunshow.

Maybe in a few weeks give him a call and ask if he wants to go to the range and try out some of your new toys. Seriously, who could pass up a chance to go shoot new guns?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think many will hear or see more and more as what you experienced as the election gets closer. I think all elections have an element as such, but it seems this one in particular is very emotional and intense. Battle lines are being drawn and the stakes high (Supreme Court for one)...it is going to only get more ugly. Personally, not one candidate I'd vote for...

Rick

I don't know, I heard the Obamanation say "I support the right for people to bear arms" and "I support Washington DCs' gun laws."

Makes it kind of hard to get a read on the fella.

I'm sure they don't want to **** off the NRA, like I'm sure they would say anything to get elected. They have enough problems, right now. I love how Hillary was describing how she was ducking under sniper fire in Bosnia. What a douchebag.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links