Florida School Security Officer Tasers 11-Year-Old Girl

This is a discussion on Florida School Security Officer Tasers 11-Year-Old Girl within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Florida School Security Officer Tasers 11-Year-Old Girl - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News Florida School Security Officer ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida School Security Officer Tasers 11-Year-Old Girl

FOXNews.com - Florida School Security Officer Tasers 11-Year-Old Girl - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Thursday, March 27, 2008

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. — A Florida elementary school student was tasered Thursday after punching a school security officer during a fight.

The incident began when teachers at the Moss Elemenary School in Orange County confronted an 11-year-old girl for allegedly attempting to push another student into ongoing traffic outside the campus, MyFOXOrlando.com reported.

Authorities say the young female ignored the teacher and walked inside the homeroom, where she was again approached by teachers over her behavior. The student responded by thowing a desk and chair and attempting to spit on the instructor, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.

Donna Hudepohl, a school resource officer called to remove the troubled girl from the classroom, was allegedly pushed and punched in the face during a struggle to restrain her.

Hudepohl responded by tasering the girl.

The student was charged with battery on a law enforcement officer, disrupting a school function as well as resisting with violence and is being held at the juvenile detention center.

Hudepohl was treated for a possible broken nose.

What the heck is wrong with kids these days?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    for allegedly attempting to push another student into ongoing traffic
    How about charging this little angel with attempted murder?

And the second question is - how are we hiring "school resource officers" who can be so physically overwhelmed by an 11 year old girl?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That's what happens when you spare the rod. No instead it is go to your room and think about what you did. I sure wasn't like that when I was growing up.

WOW I didnt even know an 11 year old could even do that!!! That is crazy tho. I wish I was there to see that fight!

Quote Originally Posted by STITCH View Post
    I wish I was there to see that fight!
    I wish I could have been there to see her flop around on the floor when she got tazered.

And the second question is - how are we hiring "school resource officers" who can be so physically overwhelmed by an 11 year old girl?
    I was wondering about that myself.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    I wonder what this future felons home life is like.

If parents where held more accountable for their childrens actions we might not have as many behavioral problems in our society
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I'll tell you how. Lawsuits.

Adults aren't allowed to get physical with violent kids, because you're supposed to hand them lollipops and speak in soft voices instead. It's like it does not matter how nasty the kid is, even if he's wielding a weapon, you're in deep doo-doo if you get physical. And that's one of the many reasons why these nasty kids are so nasty.

A few years back, a high school resource officer in southern TN ended up with a broken knee trying to physically subdue a very large student. He said he was too afraid to use his baton because of the repercussions of any racial implications.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    What the heck is wrong with kids these days?
    Welcome to a public educator's world.

I suspect, but will likely never know, that this young lady may have a special education certification along the lines of emotionally disturbed or behavior disordered. We will not know because, if the school system were to reveal that information to anyone outside of the immediate "need-to-know" educational group without parental consent, it would be a violation of federal law. If she is certified, and if her behavior is deemed to be a manifestation of her certified condition, the school can do no more to her than suspend her out-of-school for a cumulative maximum of ten days per school year (by federal law) unless the parent either agrees to an alternative placement or a legal due process hearing is held to place the student there. In the meantime, there would be a forty-five (school) day stay-put under the federal law, which probably takes us to the end of the school year.

Under federal law, a special education student has every right, and no other student in the class, the hallway, the school, nor parents or educators, have any rights where the special education student is concerned. Period, end of story, NO WAY AROUND.

I hope this young lady has been properly "Mirandized" and all other procedural due process provisions were properly followed by law enforcement...otherwise, this young lady (if she has a certification) will likely be in school on Monday...unless it is Spring Break.

The Law of Unintended Consequences is the law the legislature always passes.

Senior Moderator
    This " little girl " is 5'5 and 180 pounds, according to the local news.

The deputy apparently tased her after the little angel broke the deputy's nose.

IMHO, they should find her parents and tase them, too.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I wonder if there are any physical harm concerns with using a taser on a child or someone at a small weight? One also has to wonder if drugs are involved and that coupled with a taser...

These types of incidences happen all the time and during my life time...we never heard about them because they didn't make national news. I wonder how it was handled then...versus now.

Rick

VIP Member
    If parents where held more accountable for their childrens actions we might not have as many behavioral problems in our society
    My husband, as most of you now, works as a counselor/social worker. He gets some really nasty kids that run away, steal, fight, abuse drugs, set fires, attempt suicide, and even stab others. What most of the kids have in common is that they were abused or neglected by the adults around them, or they have mental issues, often brought about by the abuse.

Some parents you really want to slap.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    My husband, as most of you now, works as a counselor/social worker. He gets some really nasty kids that run away, steal, fight, abuse drugs, set fires, attempt suicide, and even stab others. What most of the kids have in common is that they were abused or neglected by the adults around them, or they have mental issues, often brought about by the abuse.

Some parents you really want to slap.
    Very sadly...the parents were more than likely abused as well...a perpetuation of abuse...going full circle. It is breaking that abuse circle/cycle that is so hard to overcome.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    Parental involment has been shown to be the most influential thing is school preformance.

The schools with the most active parents (PTA, parent volunteers etc...) genearlly have the highest test scores and least number of student caused disturbances.

Some parents have decided to let the goverment raise their kids, and then they yell when their kids get disiplined.

It was probably safer to tase the 180lb 11 year old than to beat her into submission.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Man, if that report is true, this girl weighs as much as me! I still think I could take her, though...

I guess that answers any questions about tasing an "underweight" person. The parents should probably already be in trouble for having an 11 year old that weighs 180 lbs, never mind that she tried to push someone into traffic and broke the nose of the resource officer...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Man, if that report is true, this girl weighs as much as me! I still think I could take her, though...

I sure hope so.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links