Jury Duty requires me to buy new clothes...

This is a discussion on Jury Duty requires me to buy new clothes... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've worked in jeans or a uniform for almost as long as I can remember, and haven't needed "dress clothes" for a wedding or anything ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jury Duty requires me to buy new clothes...

Jury Duty requires me to buy new clothes...

I've worked in jeans or a uniform for almost as long as I can remember, and haven't needed "dress clothes" for a wedding or anything for ten years and a few sizes. My summons states that jeans are forbidden (even my clean "dress jeans"), so I had to run out and buy some business casual. I'm gonna rebel and NOT buy a tie. I don't mind doing jury duty, but this really yanks my crank. I live in a very, very blue collar and welfare neighborhood. I can afford the new clothes, but it would really hurt most of my neighbors. I want to show up in jeans and a button-down shirt and see what happens, but I'm afraid the judge will hold me in contempt or something. (flashback to the peak of my criminal history, when I forgot about jury duty and after the 2nd notice, they actually issued a warrant. I rushed down to the courthouse the next day and had to pay $250 AND STILL to jury duty).

Is this even legal to require attire that I'll bet a whole lot of people in my neighborhood don't even have? I think it goes way beyond the requirement to serve.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Go to the Salvation Army and buy the ugliest tie they have.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    You may want to try a Bolo tie. I hate ties and I found them a nice substitute confort-wise and people find them acceptable.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Watch the movie. "My Cousin Vinny." Maybe you can pick yourself up a nice brown suit. Good luck.

I agree... thats BS...
    Get the crapiest lookin stuff you can find, don't iron it, get a 'loud' tie. Make sure nothing matches... ;)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Go to the Salvation Army and buy the ugliest tie they have.

I second the Salvation Army.

We have a lot of "thrift" stores and flea markets around here. I could get the whole outfit for under $20.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Jury duty tomorrow, already bought some khakis and a shirt. I should've thought of the my cousin vinny approach, though...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

My county is very lenient and allows jeans, polos, etc. If the Judge issued a warrant then they must take jury duty pretty seriously. Dress up and hope you don't get picked for a long trial.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Jury duty here pays $12 a day plus a bus pass.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gbryant View Post
    I agree... thats BS...
    Get the crapiest lookin stuff you can find, don't iron it, get a 'loud' tie. Make sure nothing matches... ;)
    +1

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Make sure to mix lime green leisure suit with a mauve shirt and orange pants if that don't make people puke nothing will
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You might just get an old judge who dresses just like that on the golf course.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Just remember - it is the Judge's show. EVERYTHING in the courtroom is for his (or her) convenience/honor/pleasure/etc. - if the judge says "Jump!", do it.

And this isn't a bad thing, really: if nothing else, it gets folks to think about authority and the good and bad manifestations of it. I am a better dad, for instance, as I see a cop do it right... and as I see a cop do it wrong. I assume that the OP has his head on straight, so this is NOT directed at him - but I've seen a whole lot of people (many at work, most where I taught) who think the world revolves around them. Here is one instance where it decidedly does not, and behavior I once saw in class will get you literally thrown in jail for contempt.

Hope you have a pleasant time: sometimes you can actually enjoy such odd people as you're likely to meet. But I would bring a good book, too.

I don't mind the world not revolving around me (well, at least for today), but I do have a problem with the judges thinking the world revolves around them. Maybe it does in their courtroom, but it shouldn't. Behavior problems: lock me up. But different clothes does not make me more rational. I don't mind serving, I've done it twice (not in this little district court, though), and don't recall a dress code (maybe just no shorts or something). I specifically recall going once right from work, I was wearing my EMT uniform, shirt untucked and unbuttoned. The only one on the jury that voted not guilty was a nicely dressed lady who didn't think that one should be held accountable for resisting/assaulting a police officer because he was too stoned to know what he was doing. I can see limiting certain items of clothing, (shorts, tank tops, wearing a hoodie with the hood up), but requiring certain dress to "promote respect for the judicial system you are serving" is the judge just being an @*$&! Why doesn't he just require that we genuflect and make the sign of the cross at his bench? That'll show us who's boss. I already respect the judicial system, but now I've much less respect for this judge.

VIP Member
    Buying new clothes for jury duty is, well, a waste of money. If its not a hardship, shop in thift stores for a good used jacket. Show up in court with jeans, the (new) jacket, and the receipt. See what happens. The receipt shows effort. Jury duty is not supposed to create a hardship, and not everyone has the resources to look nice just to impress others. Its the man that matters, not the clothes.

Thoreau said it best, "Beware of enterprises requiring new clothes."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links