Round goes off at Sportsman's Warehouse

This is a discussion on Round goes off at Sportsman's Warehouse within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This weekend I was at an Oregon Sportsman's Warehouse looking at a new shotgun. There were 4 or 5 others looking as various weapons next ...

This weekend I was at an Oregon Sportsman's Warehouse looking at a new shotgun. There were 4 or 5 others looking as various weapons next to me. Just as I started to inspect the shotgun, I hear the crack of a round just behind me. While I was shocked, I ducked (as did everyone else) and was thinking of how dumb I was for having my cover coat zipped all the way up. Well despite my heart racing, all turned out well. It was two pre-teen boys playing with .22 birdshot and dropped a round and it went off. Everyone was lucky..

I can't even express how angry I would be.

The kids should be, oh, I don't know

What would be a good punishment for this sort of behavior?

Not to doubt you at all, but I've never heard of a round discharging from being dropped. I'm sure it's possible, but it's got to be a one-in-a-thousand chance; it'd have to land *exactly* right on the primer, etc.... I'd bet that rimfire ammo is a bit more touchy.

Glad nobody was hurt, I suppose it was a cheap lesson for everyone involved.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Yeah, I was telling my wife at the range the other day that you could drop a round 1000 times and nothing would happen. Then when I told her about this, she said "see, rounds can go off". I am not sure if they dropped the entire box, which may have caused the round to go off because of how the rounds are stacked in the box, but when the manager brought up the round it was out of the box....

Quote Originally Posted by sasomers View Post
    I can't even express how angry I would be.

The kids should be, oh, I don't know

What would be a good punishment for this sort of behavior?
    We have an outdoor range where nobody picks up their brass. I would say collecting a five gallon bucket of brass or digging up the lead from the backstop witha garden trowel would give them their fill of handing ammunition.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    We have an outdoor range where nobody picks up their brass. I would say collecting a five gallon bucket of brass or digging up the lead from the backstop witha garden trowel would give them their fill of handing ammunition.
    +1.

Actually, at both of the places I usually buy ammo, they keep it behind a counter and won't let you touch it until they see ID (and you must be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for handgun ammo). Now I know why.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

There's more to this story. Having gone to school with a kid who was throwing .22 rounds hard at the pavement TRYING to get them to go off, I can tell you this just isn't an easy thing to do.

My friend did get one to go off eventually... and ended up with a .22 casing hitting him square in the forehead. No injury, but a goodly mark and sudden wisdom was imparted to him via the impact.

The fact that it was kids tells me that they were screwing around. But there has to be more to this story than "someone dropped it".
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Some kid in my junior high shop class had a 22 cartridge under a buffer wheel, trying to make it shiny. He was going to embed it in some plastic. It went off. Luckily nobody was injured. The shop teacher sure was pissed though and gave the kid a swat. That was in the good old days when teachers could give kids swats w/o fear of being sued.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Not to doubt you at all, but I've never heard of a round discharging from being dropped.
    I think we had a thread a few months ago about some guy dropping a box of .45 ACP at a Police range and a bullet actually went through the cardboard box...

That'll teach you to never let a zipper stop you from drawing. I hope that wasn't at the Johnson Creek location. I haven't been there for a while.

um, back in my younger more stupid days we used to set off shotgun rounds by throwing them in the air.

Of course we would tape marbles to the back side, cut the front off and empty out the shot and tie a streamer to the front end so they would land correctly, (fun on 4th of july), but it shows you that if it did land perfect then it would work.

a 22lr though... i have a hard time believing that, the weight of the shell alone would not cause the case to deform enough to pop off, so all you would have is the friction/weight of the powder inside to cause the priming coating to fire,,, interesting, I would have liked to see the cartridge,,,
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Maybe if they dropped then stepped on it.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Maybe if they dropped then stepped on it.....
    .... or chucked it at the ground "to see what would happen". That's my best guess.

I hope somebody follows up on this. I'm really curious what happened. Hopefully a store security camera got it, or someone was watching.

Peace
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Administrator
    I'd like to know what really happened also.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

When I was about 10 yrs old, I was playing with my Dad's .22 birdshot rounds and dropped one on the carpet and forgot about it. The next day my Mom was vacuming my room and sucked up the round and it went off. Scared the $*it out of her. The old man was not to happy with me that night when he got home.

Links