3rd Graders Plot to Harm Teacher

This is a discussion on 3rd Graders Plot to Harm Teacher within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First let me say, my apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this story. Moderators please feel free to relocate. Thanks. Cops: 3rd-Graders ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Graders Plot to Harm Teacher

First let me say, my apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this story. Moderators please feel free to relocate. Thanks.

Cops: 3rd-Graders Aimed to Hurt Teacher :: WRAL.com

Cops: 3rd-Graders Aimed to Hurt Teacher
    By RUSS BYNUM
    Associated Press Writer

Posted: Today at 2:49 p.m.
    Updated: Today at 4:17 p.m.

WAYCROSS, Ga. A group of third-graders plotted to attack their teacher, bringing a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape and other items for the job and assigning children tasks including covering the windows and cleaning up afterward, police said Tuesday.

The plot by as many as nine boys and girls at Center Elementary School in south Georgia was a serious threat, Waycross Police Chief Tony Tanner said.

"We did not hear anybody say they intended to kill her, but could they have accidentally killed her? Absolutely," Tanner said. "We feel like if they weren't interrupted, there would have been an attempt. Would they have been successful? We don't know."

The children, ages 8 and 9, were apparently mad at the teacher because she had scolded one of them for standing on a chair, Tanner said. A prosecutor said they are too young to be charged with a crime under Georgia law.

School officials alerted police Friday after a pupil tipped off a teacher that a girl had brought a weapon to school, Tanner said.

Police seized a broken steak knife, handcuffs, duct tape, electrical and transparent tape, ribbons and a crystal paperweight from the students, who apparently intended to use them against the teacher, Tanner said.

Nine children have been given discipline up to and including long-term suspension, said Theresa Martin, spokeswoman for the Ware County school system. She would not be more specific but said none of the children had been back to school since the case came to light.

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.

The scheme involved a division of roles, Tanner said. One child's job was to cover windows so no one could see outside, he said. Another was supposed to clean up after the attack.

"We're not sure at this point in the investigation how many of the students actually knew the intent was to hurt the teacher," Tanner said.

The parents of the students have cooperated with investigators, who aren't allowed to question the children without their parents' or guardians' consent, he said. Authorities have withheld the children's names.

Police expected to forward the results of their investigation to prosecutors, Tanner said.

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.

Martin told The Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, Florida, that administrators would follow school system policy and state law in disciplining the students.

"From what I understand, they were considered pretty good kids," Martin said. "But we have to take this seriously, whether they were serious or not about carrying this through, and that's what we did."

Four mothers of other third-grade students at Center Elementary called for the immediate expulsion of the suspected plotters.

Stacy Carter and Deana Hiott both cited school system policy stating that any student who brings "anything reasonably considered to be a weapon" is to be expelled for at least the remainder of the school year.

"We don't want our children around them," Carter told the Times-Union. "The one with the knife could have stabbed my child or someone else's child at lunch or out on the playground."

"This is an isolated incident, an aberration. ... We have good kids," Center Principal Angie Coleman told the newspaper.
    "If you can't place your shots on a non-moving piece of paper, how much more difficult will it be when that piece of paper becomes a 3-time felon whose sole purpose is to avoid going back to prison no matter what happens and no matter who gets in the way?"

Taken from a posting by "Deadmeat 2"

What's wrong with kids these days!!! Movies,music,games,news or all the above?
    There starting younger and younger!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Hmmm...sounds to me like these brats are spending too much time in front of an idiot box.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Time to turn back the clock

and make them and everyone else responsible for their actions.

Yleefox

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said
    Why the #@%! not? That's a great message to send to our youth. Don't worry about it, you can be guilty of premeditated murder but we won't do anything about it unless you are 13? Give me a break.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    What would prompt a popular revolt in a 3rd grade class? And how did they even get the idea? Most importantly, what is going on with America's kids?!?!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Don't worry about it, you can be guilty of premeditated murder but we won't do anything about it unless you are 13?
    In Maryland, not Georgia, I watch a couple cases where the "I'm just a kid. I'm immune." lesson "took" to the ruination of the kids.

They kept going free without any meaningful repercussions for their break-ins. The parents believed in talking and reasoning. No progressive discipline, etc. from either parents or the courts.

The day before there last court appearance, they were walking around school bragging how they knew the system, etc.

However, the court decided to bump them up an age braket. Because of their long list of convictions (albeit the court had another name for it), they got the max. Of course, juvenile only taught them to be better crooks. Lost track of one. The other is now doing something-to-life, as an adult.

To be sure, their parents had failed them -- big time. Between "my little darlings are misunderstood, will grow out of it, etc" and courts "they are too young" these kids were set up for a big fall.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Good Lord! I'm stupefied. Next time somebody suggests to me that I crawl back under the rock from outst which I came---I think I'll take their advice and be better of there so long as I can find nourishment. 3rd graders huh? Throw the book at them! What next?

It's mostly the parents fault for not taking an active role in their kid's lives! Just let school, daycare and the TV raise them
    No one to teach them right from wrong.

I do know in a lot of areas, drug dealers use these kids to hold or sell their drugs because of these stupid laws.

That is also part of the reason why gangs are recruiting younger and younger kids. They know a 11 year old can get away with just about anything...laws vary, but it wasn't like this was a moment of indiscretion...this was a pre-planned, well organized, and well thought out plan. The only reason these kids didn't succeed is cuz they are in 3rd grade and somebody talked too much. If it wasn't for whatever kid it was that was bragging to the kid who ratted them out, there is no telling how this would of ended up.

And yes, you're right, Dave, this will put them in an Alternative School, where they will meet older more devious thugs. A few of them will be 'scared straight' so to speak, and the rest of them will just learn all they can, but I doubt the things they learn will be school related.

Our system's broke...our society has evolved too far. We need to step back about 200 years and deal with problems like they used to. There is a reason why civilizations, especially Democracy's have relatively short lives. The needy vote themselves more and more entitlements until all that's left are people who are 'entitled', and people who are struggling with the moral decay of society and are struggling to stay employed so they can pay their taxes and pay their bills so that the entitled get their entitlements...Oh, well, who is John Galt?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

wonder just how severe the punishment for standing on a chair was

VIP Member
    Nothing that happens in a public school surprises me anymore, either (like the UK).

The purported target is a veteran educator who teaches third-grade students with learning disabilities including attention deficit disorder, delayed development and hyperactivity, friends and parents said.
    Why is ADD such a big problem now compared to 20+ years ago? When I was young you just got your butt whipped and either straightened up or got it whipped again. Now they want to put you on some kind of medication.

Children in Georgia can't be charged with a crime unless they are at least 13, District Attorney Rick Currie said.
    Kids know this, thats why they are not afraid to do things like this. I say change the law. If it is premeditated, then charge them as adults. Knowing that they can go to jail for awhile might make them think twice.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

What you see in these kids (and I say hold them accountable...somehow) is only a reflection of the families and communities that they are raised in...
    Get ready folks...is isn't going to get any better!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Zero moral compass. Zero guidance and direction provided. Zero role models. Two parents working. Babysitter = latchkey/television/Nintendo/whatever. The average kid doesn't have a chance, when tossed aside and ignored like so much dirty linen each day.

I've got a few friends whose kids are growing up into model little citizens. In each case, one of the parents doesn't work at a job outside the home. In a couple of cases, they're home schooled. In a couple cases, highly religious. In all cases, there is a heavy moral grounding, sense of direction provided by hands-on guidance, and a profound sense of belonging and contributing to the welfare of the family, strong inclusion in family matters ... whether that be via chores, helping with projects, helping with planning the next family outing, whatever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links