Foreign laws - affecting Constitution

This is a discussion on Foreign laws - affecting Constitution within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am putting this up because I have an idea many folks are not entirely aware of the issues within this - I admit I ...

Thread: Foreign laws - affecting Constitution

Assistant Administrator

Foreign laws - affecting Constitution

I am putting this up because I have an idea many folks are not entirely aware of the issues within this - I admit I was not So, to make sure we all see it, here ya go -

Stop Courts From Using Foreign Law to Interpret U.S. Constitution -- Click Below to Tell Congress to Support the Feeney/Goodlatte Resolution (H. Res. 97):
    http://capwiz.com/sicminc/issues/ale...078481&type=CO

ALERT: Should the U.S. Supreme Court -- or ANY U.S. court -- use *foreign* law to interpret the U.S. Constitution?

As you know, they already have. To date at least six Justices have cited foreign law in written opinions. With increasing frequency the Supreme Court looks to constitutions, law, and trends of foreign countries when examining cases.

With last week's Senate confirmation of John Roberts as the next Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and today's nomination of Harriet Miers to be Justice Sandra Day O'Connor's replacement, the timing of this national civics debate couldn't be more appropriate. How justices choose to interpret the Constitution and its original intent should be central to this discussion.

During his confirmation hearing, John Roberts said it best when characterizing the cherry-picking of foreign law to interpret the United States Constitution as "a misuse of precedent."

Article VI of the U.S. Constitution clearly provides in the Supremacy Clause, "This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; And all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the Supreme Law of the Land."

As Rep. Tom Feeney (R-FL) has noted, "The U.S. Constitution exemplifies our nation's independence from foreign law and precedent. The Supreme Court's increasing tendency to reference foreign law rather than the original intent of the Constitution jeopardizes the sovereignty of our nation. The American people have not authorized through Congress or through a constitutional amendment the use of foreign laws to establish new law or deny rights here in the United States."

Rep. Feeney, along with Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), has introduced the "Reaffirmation of American Independence Resolution" (H. Res. 97) to take a strong stand against this new -- and dangerous trend. But this resolution needs a LOT more co-sponsors to guarantee it will get to a vote in front of the whole House -- and that it will pass.

We need to DEMAND that our Representatives (Republican AND Democrat) sign up as co-sponsors of this bill -- and that they support it all the way through passage.

TAKE ACTION: The Feeney/Goodlatte Resolution (H. Res. 97) currently has 67 co-sponsors, including the House Constitution Subcommittee Chairman Chabot and 14 other Members of the House Judiciary Committee. The resolution states:

"Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that
    judicial determinations regarding the meaning of the
    Constitution of the United States should not be based on
    judgments, laws, or pronouncements of foreign institutions
    unless such foreign judgments, laws, or pronouncements
    inform an understanding of the original meaning of the
    Constitution of the United States."

This resolution affirms the sense of Congress that judicial decisions interpreting the U.S. Constitution should not be based on any foreign laws, court decisions, or pronouncements of foreign governments unless they are expressly approved by Congress. Click below to send a FREE message to YOUR Congressman, asking him or her to sign up as a co-sponsor of H. Res. 97, and to support it all the way through passage:

http://capwiz.com/sicminc/issues/ale...078481&type=CO

NOTE: Be sure to forward this message to EVERYONE you know who wants to help STOP courts from using foreign law to interpret the U.S. Constitution. Thank you!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    OK, for some reason this thread died. Doesn't this get any of you guys really PO'd?? It's bad enough that we are sending our money out the floodgates to other countries, and we let political pressure have a hand in when we go to war. But to have the SCOTUS using laws from OTHER COUNTRIES to make decisions on OUR Constitution makes me see red!!! Would you want to be tried for subversion for writing an op-ed that spoke out against the current government? Actually would you want to be prosecuted for continuing this thread??
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Assistant Administrator
    Me PO'd by it Chris? - you bet your cotton pickin a$$ it does.

It helps me also think of the interference from UN as well.

A nation as large as ours needs NO influence from foreign laws or edicts - heck we have enough of our own! To quote another county's law or laws as if applicable to us is a betrayal of our own system - and even tho that system is flawed, like most in the West - it is ours - no one elses - and not up for ''massaging'' by other's rules.

I posted this thread really just as an FYI for folks - and assume it will PO about anyone who gets to know of it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

We should be the model that other countries aspire to be like, not the other way around. What other country's constitution is anywhere near as good as ours? None, that's what! Makes me sick how some people point to Europe like they are so much more cultured than we are, as if that makes a difference. OK, cool down and take a breath.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Any Justice that resorts to foreign law to justify a ruling needs to be impeached.
    It's that simple and it might send a strong message to the remaining Justices.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Lead Moderator
    I agree with Airforceshooter, our laws are ours for a reason. It our country's laws to abide by and be enforced. We do not need foreign influences to guide our great country.

Links