Fitness help needed. - Page 2

Fitness help needed.

This is a discussion on Fitness help needed. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had to severely modify my diet last year for medical reasons. I used to eat HORRIBLY. Stray dogs and city rats ate healthier than ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitness help needed.

I had to severely modify my diet last year for medical reasons. I used to eat HORRIBLY. Stray dogs and city rats ate healthier than I did.

I don't watch calories so much, but I do watch carb intake. And, if at all possible, I eat no sugar.

I now have a fairly strict eating schedule, consisting of breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. Carbs are limited to about 50 to 75 grams per meal, and 25 per snack. I don't skip meals, and I don't add meals. This is how I eat. Period.

Also, since January, I work out regularly three times a week, in addition to my martial arts classes.

What helped me with working out was keeping a log of what I did: amount of weight, number of reps, etc. I've found that having that chart to track my progress helps a lot with motivation...more than a mirror would, since results will likely be too gradual to see on a daily or weekly basis. Unless you're on steroids.

A gym with a personal trainer would be better, but I can't afford either, and the spreadsheet has been working for me.

What I've found both with the diet and working out is this: Actually getting started is a big hurdle. Once that's done, making it a habit is a little bit easier. There will likely come a time when the desire to just give up becomes almost too great, and that's as big a hurdle as getting started, but once cleared, it just becomes habit...part of your daily routine.

Working out is still a chore, sometimes, but I am totally used to the diet now, and it's just a fact of life for me.

What may help is that if you participate...get on the same diet he is. Work out with him, or at least start your own workout routine. That way, he doesn't feel like he's trapped in that new pattern alone.

Good luck to you both,

-JT

Go to the Humane Society, adopt a herding dog mutt of some kind. Walk him everyday. You can't not lose weight!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

This place worked for me, check out their 'transformations' articles:

Bodybuilding.com - 2008 Bodybuilding.com Transformation Guide!

They push the stuff they sell, ignore the shameless plugs and focus on the 'meat and potatoes' of the articles.

As others pointed out, burn more than you eat. Diet's don't work, you have to continue eating, but eat right for you and exercise appropriately.

So he/we should focus more on muscle building,less on diets and rather just control
    the food we eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    So he/we should focus more on muscle building,less on diets and rather just control
    the food we eat?
    1) Don't eat junk.

2) Burn more than what you eat...i.e., exercise. Don't care what kind of exercise...just move yer butts

3) Control how much you eat better, to aid with #2.

4) Try to have fun with it. If you make it too much of a chore, you won't stick with it.

-JT
    Last edited by Cthulhu; April 3rd, 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: friggin' typos

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    the food we eat?
    In my experience, and completely unprofessional opinion based purely on unscientific anecdotal experience:

Yes.

Muscle burns calories just sitting there, and it burns a lot of calories in use. The more muscle, the more calories, even at lower intensity levels. This is why once you get in shape, it seems easier to stay in shape.

Also, focus on realistic food choices. Don't buy stuff you won't eat. Portion control is usually the most beneficial food related control.

It's much easier with two of you. I live alone and it's very difficult to cook a healthy, yet satisfying meal for one.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    My Rules on Food

1) Eat real Food- If your grandmother wouldn't recognize it as food don't eat it. Stay away from Microwave Dinners and over processed foods. A rule of thumb, the more packaging it has the worse it is for you.

2) Eat mostly vetegables

3) Don't eat to much. 80% full
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I've struggled with my weight all my life.

I'm 6'4, and have been since about age 13. I've bounced around the scale from 204 to 317.

I've used all sorts of diets. I've just cut out specific foods, or categories of foods. I've just exercised. I've dieted AND exercised. I've taken nutritional supplements. I've taken diet pills.

Two things I've learned from my experiences:

What worked best FOR ME was a combination of eating very sensibly, exercising 6 days a week with a combination of weightlifting, running, and stationary cycling, and bodybuilding supplements, for about 18 months, which led me to the point where I looked and more importantly FELT the best I ever did in my life (at about 225 lbs).

The other thing that I learned is that no matter what you try, the only way it'll work is if YOU WANT IT TO.

I'm not trying to discourage you, Daniella. You can HELP him. But, when it comes right down to it, HE is going to have to WANT it.

You might encourage him by praising every little bit of success. "You're losing some weight! What a sexy beast you are!" will probably yield much better future results than "You're STILL eating those things and parking your fat arse on the couch?!"

Disclaimer: I am not currently a "sexy beast". That was quite some time ago. I have everything I need to get back to that point.....except for the internal motivation.

Daniella; Do not despair, your husband is not that bad off. Weight loss is really about the mind and willpower, nothing more.

Just one year ago, I weighed almost 290lbs. and could not figure out why I had no energy to exercise, and why I could not seem to get any rest. I told my Doctor about this, and he steered me to a sleep clinic which diagnosed me with sleep apnea. Once I got that taken care of, everything was fine.

Since then, I have dropped almost 60 pounds, and aside from a motorcycle accident which resulted in a broken neck (see my post called "divine providence") I have managed to keep chipping away at the overall goal of 210 lbs, my old fighting weight in High School.

Some words on dieting though: There is no easy way, it is hard it is slow and it is all about willpower. That is the only way I can put it, and once a person understands this, they have taken the first steps towards getting it off and keeping it off. It all boils down to this: You must eat less and exercise more. I started out by simply cutting back on what I ate; Did I really need that cupcake dessert after making 2 trips to the Chinese all you can eat buffet? I solved that by making one trip, no dessert. Lunch at work? Since I am a supervisor I don't work in the field as much, so a can of soup and some chips or crackers is appropriate here. For dinner, a lot of sandwiches (NOT dagwoods) salads or again, soups. In the evenings, plan on making time to exercise. I began cycling quite a bit before my accident, as well as running the stairs where I work.

You can count calories if you wish, but I try to keep things basic and try not to get into these extreme fad diets that change things so drastically, you are virtually assured of quitting because the foods are bad, or they don't satisfy your nutritional requirements. My take on it all is that if you can start developing good eating habits (like pushing yourself away from the table) and even better exercise habits (by establishing a consistent, measureable program) then you can watch the weight come off.

Good luck to you and your husband, and tell him if he needs any advice, please PM me or email, I will be happy to help.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks for all the advise and support..i miss the curly fires already..

VIP Member
    If he loses the weight and reaches his goal, he'll have to make a permanent lifestyle change of healthier eating/living/exercising. Not doing so he'll find himself re-gaining the weight back......a typical yo-yo diet.

Aside from his goal of becoming a policeman, be sure to consider the impact of losing that weight in what it'll do to improve his overall health. Excessive weight puts a lot of strain on your body, including your knees. Hypertension, coronary artery disease, diabetes, etc are all important concerns too. When you're young your body tolerates a lot of abuse, but payback (as you age) is tough.

As I've gotten older it's clearer to me how fragile life/health is Good luck and don't forget about the yo-yo affect ! Keep us posted.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I am not sayin that I am an expert at any means what so ever and dont hold me to anything. I AM NOT SAYING THAT I AM RIGHT BY ANY MEANS. This is just worked for me. I was a wrestler for 10 years and most of the time I had to cut anywhere from 10-25lb's in short time. I know most of the time it was the bad thing to do since it was a body shock thing. I am also on the track team for the University I go to But I have found that:
    1. Only drink water(flush) and nothin else
    2. Only eat in proprotion like half or little under half of what you normally eat.
    3. If he wants snack, only fruit or popcorn(kettlecorn).
    4. Never eat after 8pm
    5. I would also say start out at short distances running. Then work to running a mile, then 2 miles. Try to decrease time everytime you run by at the least 10 sec's.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Weightwatchers is a very good system. I lost 10 pounds in 10 weeks. They guide you through everything, weekly meetings, accountability, etc, etc, etc.

As everyone says, it comes down to one thing. Eat less than you burn in calories. The obvious solutions is count calories, exercise more and stay away from the junk food.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links