Fitness help needed.

This is a discussion on Fitness help needed. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by AZ Husker It's much easier with two of you. I live alone and it's very difficult to cook a healthy, yet satisfying ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitness help needed.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    It's much easier with two of you. I live alone and it's very difficult to cook a healthy, yet satisfying meal for one.
    Yep, right on with that statement. Also workout with your husband. you can lift light weights, walk or run with him and encourage him to continue on. I feel motivation is the biggest obstacle in getting healthy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I think 2 pounds a week is generally considered a healthy rate of weight loss. Keep in mind he will gain some weight in muscle at the same time as burning fat so it can be a little discouraging at first - you can help with that though by pointing out that he is stronger, you're proud of him, and all that nice husband and wife stuff. If you are the one that feeds him, you can fix it pretty easy, although it might take some research and calorie counting. After being married to my wife for maybe 6 months I told her I really liked the food she made, but I needed to eat smaller portions or I'd get fat(er). 500 calories less food every day, and 500 calories more exercise every day makes 7000 calories (2 pounds) a week. Eating more smaller portions (5-6 small meals every 2-3 hours) can help boost metabolism as well....just be sure to keep track of the size of the meals if you go this route. There's my two cents!

Austin

It is truly a life-style change, which you can control and direct, since you do the cooking. My .02 FWIW, based on how my wife and I each lost 40-50 pounds:

Take walks together every day if possible. Try to slowing increase the distance and the speed as he improves. Make it fun, romantic, etc.

Fresh veggies in decent sized portions - a lot of fresh veggies
    Fresh fruit too
    Smaller amounts of red meat
    No frying or saute - grill, broil or roast
    Minimal cheese
    Trim your meat very very closely before preparing - only keep the extremely lean portion, and purchase very lean meat too

Read the food packages! Prepared foods are horribly high in fat and in calories! Bread is extremely high in both, other than true French bread.

Very limited eating out - no fast food other than Subway. If you do - take 1/2 of each meal home for the next day - put it in a box the minute they bring the food out!

Cut out as much salt as possible! Cut it to the bone - or he'll be battling high BP too soon! Cutting salt also reduces water retention, thus excess weight from water. Chips very bad. (Those are my weakness)

No pop that is not not diet soda. Watch the green teas, etc most lot of tons of sugars. WW has some great sweets too - but always read the ingredients and %'s.

And, as you've already shown - a supportive wife! Good luck! Keep us posted. There are a lot of supportive folks here.

So today we went to buy training shorts and shirts..Later we will clean the house for every cake and snack we have..The neighbor was happy for the cheesecake..

What about rice?Is it recommended to replace rice with potatos?
    We have agreed upon replace snacks with different kind of fruits and nuts..and to reduce the amount off meat we eat and start to eat more fish..

So..Monday is set as first day of training and we planed to go swim..

Can we still spoil each other on saturdays?

You can take the weekend off ( don't go crazy) as long as you put in the work at least 4 day's a week. Glad you have a plan! As someone mentioned earlier, start a journal recording your workouts so you can measure your progress ..very important to help with your motivation
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Great first step. If you are are going to replace potatoes with white rice, then no. Brown or whole grain rice is preferable, but I don't like it as much. Definately avoid putting a bunch of stuff on the potatoes, and eat the skin.

As for saturdays, I say find something else to occupy the "spoiling." For many, if not most people, consuming simple sugars will cause your sugar to rise, then drop. Learn about complex carbs and the glycemic index let that guide what you eat for carbs, except when actually working out or for recovery afterwords. The drop causes you to crave more sugar in a vicous cycle that makes it very hard to get off the junk gain. Once I'm off the crap, I'm off it and it doesn't hurt to be off it. Eating a single cookie for me is like giving a recovering dope addict just one hit of heroin. Just say no.

I highly recommend a program called dietpower Diet Power Calorie Counter, Diet, and Weight Loss Program I know I said before that weight wasn't the best guide, but it can be a very useful guide if one keeps in mind the the number alone isn't the goal. In other words, one shouldn't shoot for say x lbs. One should shoot for x lbs and y% bodyfat.
    Last edited by Cupcake; April 4th, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Mashed potatoes and white rice can be the glycemic equivalent of eating spoonfuls of sugar. You can substitute sweet potatos. Like Cupcake said, brown or whole grain rice would be preferrable as well.

Being part Japanese, losing the ability to eat white rice whenever I wanted REALLY sucked.

But I got over it.

I pretty much eat all the meat I want, as long as it's fairly lean.

As for spoiling each other, I tend not to go off my diet. As mentioned before, though, I have medical reasons to be on it, so maintaining my discipline is for a wee bit more than being able to fit into my pants

After the dieting and exercise become part of your lifestyle, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to 'cheat'...but very rarely. And it is cheating

-JT

Rice is great!!! Burns off easy and fills you up alot quciker!! Along with the fruits and nuts as snack you can also eat kettlecorn popcorn.

Make sure to take small steps,
    I remember when cutting weight for boot camp (like I didn't lose enough during my lovely 3 months at Parris Island in the summer), I'd take sundays off and not exercise on them, and would let myself have like one nice meal (usually dinner) with the family.

That being said a day off doesn't mean eat all the junk food you can that day. I live a well above average active life during the week, but on weekends I tend to slack and intake too many fluid calories in Waikiki, and pay for it during monday morning PT.

Also try to avoid awards thinking, like "I just got done doing "x" exercise, so now I can eat a greasy meat covered pizza" stick to the diet as much as possible while still having meals that you enjoy (if you hate the food the diet won't work)
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Eating a single cookie for me is like giving a recovering dope addict just one hit of heroin. Just say no.
    No kidding! Chips too......

We always kept tiny portions of rewards around for very very special treats...like one chocolate, etc. No more than once a week <sigh> Kind of positive reward type stuff.

I just have to echo the great advice already given...

My personal experice might sound goofy but it's worked for me. I exercise 20 - 30 minutes 5 times a week on one of those Tony Little Gazelle Ryder machines, low impact.
    Breakfast: 1 cup cold cereal (alternate between the 'healthy" stuff and the "Kids" cereal) with a cup of low-fat (can't cut skim!) milk.
    Lunch: Bowl of oatmeal (buy several variety packs assures a daily selection.) with low-fat crackers. Very filling
    Dinner: Anything I want, but in moderation - as said previously, portion control is the key.

A lot of veggies, no pop/soda, and very limited sweets (I love pastries - they seem to taste much better and enjoyed more when only eaten once a week). I find that automatically splitting a meal when eating out (a dinner, obviously not 'fast food') saves money and stretches 1 meal into 2.

My energy is off the charts and my body is much more solid. Results inspire continued effort!

If I may as be so bold to suggest that you join him (in part) in this, it'll work wonders. (For example, it's hard to cut out pop if your mate drinks one in front of you!)

Good luck!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Running everyday works wonders. I run 5-6 miles every day and have no problem keeping lbs off. Being in Iraq though limits my ability to run, but the working in extreme heat makes up for it.

The first few days have been weird..but it will be fun to see the results..but what about noodles,is that something to eat?

Noodles are ok. The main thing is to try to avoid carbs right before bed, because they pretty much immediately turn into fat when you go to bed. Eating protein (meat, beans, nuts) and vegetables for dinner is a good idea. Noodles for lunch is fine, and even ok for dinner as long as you don't eat too much of them and you eat them early. The way my schedule is I eat about an hour or two before bed, so if I ate a lot of carbs for dinner it would turn to fat, but if you eat dinner earlier it won't matter as much. Just my two cents...

Austin

oh and also having goals helps. Like trying to increase reps and weight in the gym, or trying to reduce run times/increase distances...stuff like that. It helps to keep me motivated at least.
    Last edited by aus71383; April 9th, 2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add more

As compulsive as it sounds, I weigh every day at the same time. When I was in our peak loss period (almost a year), I weighed several times a day.

I found it motivating, because the slightest .1 pound felt like a victory.But...I am extremely detail oriented and extremely compulsive and very task oriented.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links